Question about the request

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

szopen

Question about the request

Post by szopen »

Hi there,

I have carefully read the posting guidelines, and while they have a lot of advices how to post critique, what licensing is used etc. they have no (or at least, if they have, I have missed them somehow) advices how to post a request for a music for an UMC. Are there any special rules? Is this subforum good place to ask?

I am searching for a bit more modern tracks, for example with classical orchestral+modern beat or electrical guitars. Tracks that are gloomy, menacing, and dark. Which could be illustration for the sentences like "thou shall kill. Thou shall have no mercy. ". The Campaign is already made, it is in process of being ported to 1.9.7, and it was considered quite good by the players (in 2005, when it was made :) ).
"Even when the Slav is gay the effort is often evident" -- P. R. RADOSAVLJEVICH
SkyOne

Re: Question about the request

Post by SkyOne »

Hi szopen,

I think there are not any special rules just for a request. The importance is who will take the request, then start creating it.

Currently, we don't have many music creators who are active, and they don't really prefer to create music just for an UMC. They usually work for the mainlines.
Of course, if you have a good luck, it is still possible, and if somebody works for UMC, it makes UMC creators happy, including I am. Unfortunately, the possibility is kind of low so far...
Sorry, but it's true.
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
Northern Forces - now on 1.12 server
powershot

Post by powershot »

Look at Tyler's sound tracks, you might find something. :|
My new account is: Power_Pixel_Wannabe. Yea. Yea.... Why are you still reading this? What the heck m8? You have some kind of problem? Yea. I draw. NO I'M NOT 5 ANYMORE!!! Little brats.
The heck m8? I thought you left... No seriously... go... serious...
ok bye m8. I'm serious.
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

powershot wrote:Look at Tyler's sound tracks, you might find something. :|
This is good one, powershot.:)

szopen, there is also one, called UMC Music, on both 1.8 and 1.9 server. Additionally, West has published a couple of his own CDs on the servers.
I don't think any of electric guitar sounds has been installed on them, but you may be able to find something to fit on your campaign. Actually, I should challenge to create something like you want when I have an extra time, but so far, no time...
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
Northern Forces - now on 1.12 server
Nyaanyaa

Post by Nyaanyaa »

Hello szopen,

I don't have much time right now so I'll be brief. If I understand you right, what you're looking for is something like what Uematsu Nobuo composed for the movie 'Final Fantasy VII Advent Children'? Especially the battle scenes come to mind. (Correct me if I'm wrong.)

Well, the style of music you requested picked my interest, but I'm not very intrigued to work for free on music that will then only be heard by the few that download the UMC, as I'm sure you understand. But, if the story is good (i.e. if I like it) I'll contribute a song to your campaign if you want.

So, I'm asking, do you have a link where I can take a look at the plot of the campaign? I would need to read it anyway to fit the music to your story. Alternatively, you can send me a PM or an email to nyaanyaarecords@gmail.com if you don't want the plot to be publicly exploited.

In the meanwhile, you can take a listen to some of my music so you get to know my style. ;)
http://soundcloud.com/nyaanyaa
Nyaanyaa

Post by Nyaanyaa »

Ok, I found your campaign on the add-on server and am playing through it in debug mode. It's really very cool, I think I'll compose 2 or 3 songs for you if I find the time. 1 song at the very least, though. ;)

I actually already started on a song, that I think could be used between scenarios. That's where most of the story is being told, so I figured that's where I should start.

So far it's got a fretless bass and a clean electric guitar, and some drums, but it's far from finished. I'll upload a first version in the next few days and post a link here.
szopen

Post by szopen »

Thank, nyaanyaa. Glad you like the campaign. A new maintainer is preparing a new version (a bit changed) for the wesnoth 1.9. I've heard your songs and some have great potential, though I must say that there is a bit of repetiteveness in some. "Come get you *ss kicked" is quite nice, actually. I will wait for the link.
szopen

Post by szopen »

SkyOne wrote: Actually, I should challenge to create something like you want when I have an extra time, but so far, no time...
That would be great. The more music the better :)
Tyler Johnson
Music Contributor

Post by Tyler Johnson »

The UMC music has no "rules" for submission, so any music can be UMC, electronic, synthesized, lute, anything.
szopen

Post by szopen »

As an example of what I am thinking about, hear this track:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwOtDhTvc4U

Of course, soemthing even more outside the wesnoth box would be great too. Soft-gothic style like haggard, artrosis (prosba) or something like this would be nice too :)
Nyaanyaa

Post by Nyaanyaa »

Alright, I think I've got an idea of what you're looking for now. It's going to be taking a bit longer than I thought it would, though, as work popped up unexpectedly. But I'll have time to work on your music again soon, I think. Are there any specific events in the story you want songs composed for and if so, which? And about how long would they need to be (rough estimation is fine)?

By the way, my favorite character so far is Lady Lorin. I'm still not through the campaign, though. Well, actually, I didn't find the time to play since my last post here at all. If possible, could you send me a log with all the dialogs in order and such in .txt or Word format? That would probably be faster to read through than playing through the whole campaign.
Tyler Johnson
Music Contributor

Post by Tyler Johnson »

You can use this one:

http://www.tyler-johnson.net/wesnoth/on ... ndsuns.mp3

This is a non-exclusive track, so just credit where credit is due, and all is good :D

I would have submitted it to Wesnoth, but the Electric Guitar prevents that from happening :whistle:

-Tyler
szopen

Post by szopen »

@Tyler
Thanks

@Nyaanyaa
I will send you an email - extracting all the strings and putting them into readable form may take some time though.