Mostly spritework.

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Ellisae

Mostly spritework.

Post by Ellisae »

Hey! I make sprites sometimes too, mostly for the rpg-ish campaign project me and my girlfriend are working on. I'm not incredibly good at spriting yet, and though I try to make custom stuff I still have to frankenstein some minor things, but I'm working on it.
Generally not really the type to make topics for myself because I'm an anxious shy person, but here we go.

Feedback would be appreciated. (:
Sprites.png
Click for full view!

All or them have frankensteined bits, but I have a lot of custom work on everything but Brohm, Thana and the Civilians, too.
In case you recognize the Swiftblade's sword animation, I used the Elvish hero's sword animation as a reference. I didn't literally copy anything, but then I did use the basic shapes and poses so it's not much better than copying. I needed the help, though; these are pretty much my first animations.
Liena's animation with the hand is her leading animation; Tactician is a class I thought of with weak defenses and attack but that directs the battle plan and thus has a fairly strong Leadership ability.
In the campaign, the main team's colour is red, so the magenta would be red ingame.

Hope I did everything right and stuff! [/anxious]
Last edited by Ellisae on August 16th, 2011, 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
First year illustration student. Socially awkward; apologies if seems rude/strange/offensive/something.
Great_Mage_Atari

Re: Mostly spritework.

Post by Great_Mage_Atari »

Second and Fourth sprites look like elves. Is that the idea? If not, you have some work to do. In my opinion, the colors could be more exciting. Try maybe a red, not a green? Or a blue? Make it exciting and fun.
Ellisae

Post by Ellisae »

Actually, all but Brohm are elves. Thana purposefully has a different colour scheme than the average elf, though, to fit her backstory.
*scratches her head* I mostly picked the colours to compliment the mainline elven colours, but if they're really too bland I'll experiment.
First year illustration student. Socially awkward; apologies if seems rude/strange/offensive/something.
Great_Mage_Atari

It's ok if their elves. If they weren't it would not make a ton of sense whatsoever.
em3

Post by em3 »

Overall: beautiful sprites. :)

There is little difference between El's Halberdier and Glaive versions, but as he (she?) is a hero unit it shouldn't matter (you don't have to tell one level from another in game). I would suggest trying to alter the glaive of the higher level a bit more, though (the golden band is a nice touch).

I think it was stated somewhere in lore, that elven magic and human magic have different sources, so I wonder what's Thana's backstory for her to become a mage.

Is Flutter's dagger attack supposed to be an alternative attack (different stats or poison), or is it part of a combo attack with sword?
ride on shooting star
Ellisae

Post by Ellisae »

Thank you!

I originally made the Halberdier sprite just as something fun to accompany the portrait I made for an elvish halberdier, so I wasn't really sure how to make it more impressive or different for the promotion without turning it into a wholly different unit - I didn't plan! I'm still trying to make changes, but I'm focusing on the rest of the units for now.

Thana's pretty much an outcast among elves for looking different - the other characters hypothesize that perhaps her parents were elves from some other place, but I don't mean to actually elaborate on it in the story, I think it's better if I left that vague. She started researching all types of magic from books she gathered to try and find a way to change herself to be more like the rest. I thought it might be interesting if, wesnoth elves being universally white and blonde, they might have some sort of racism due to lack of exposure to other sorts.
I'm planning on giving Thana a lot of different promotion options to represent different paths she can take, such as a red mage-like line that shows her focusing on human magic and a sorceress-like line for elvish; the battlemage shown here is a third hybrid like option that shows her focusing her magic research on implementations on the battlefield.

Flutter's dagger is an alternative ranged attack. I'm not sure if I want it to be poisoned as I am unsure if that's really very elflike; but it would make it stronger...
em3

Post by em3 »

Well... I don't think this is a valid way to throw a dagger... :hmm: But I'm not really experienced in any combat schools myself, so I don't feel qualified to judge that. Still, this animation is better than lack of animation I think. ^_^
ride on shooting star
Great_Mage_Atari

@em3: It's not really the correct way to throw it (don't ask me how I know :P )

@Ellisae: The character should be making a swinging motion, sort of overhead (almost like throwing a baseball)
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

I like these. A couple of things though (take with a grain of salt, I’m not an Art Contributor*, my spriting skills are rusty due to lack of practice lately, etc.)):

When I read the “Elvish Civilian” name I tend to think of the level 0 units I made for Invasion from the Unknown years ago (a frankenstein of the Wesnoth 1.0 L2 Elvish Lord baseframe). I don’t know what the intended stats for your units are, if any, but they look quite unusually buff for L0s.

The Swiftblade is also rather ridiculously tall compared to one of my favorite L3s; although it’s not the only unit in the set with that problem (even the aforementioned Civilians are about 1 pixel taller than a L1 Elvish Archer, if only because of their hairdos), it’s the most noticeable one at first glance, even without a reference pic:
biggerism.png
biggerism.png (6.47 KiB) Viewed 3761 times
(* Those two animation transplants don’t really count IMHO.)
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Shinobody

Post by Shinobody »

There's very easy way to differentiate Glaive from Halberdier.
Give her (?) a glaive.
Also, what shadowmaster already said about height of some units.
Thana gave me at first impression of being human or half-elf... Dunno, maybe changing her figure/hair/height/ears/or nevermind, since she's unique unit - would counter that impression?
Ah, and only Brohm got shadows which are correct now.
*sigh* Who am I kidding, I'm posting here just to say this is beautiful. Colors, shapes, everything.
As for dagger throwing, YouTube reference:
Knife-throwing tutorial (actual throwing starts at 1:50)
Artist, writer, game designer for hire.
Art portfolio: https://shino1.artstation.com
Writing dump: https://shino1portfolio.wordpress.com/
My itchio for video games and TTRPG stuff: https://shino1.itch.io/
em3

Post by em3 »

Shinobody wrote: Thana gave me at first impression of being human or half-elf... Dunno, maybe changing her figure/hair/height/ears/or nevermind, since she's unique unit - would counter that impression?
I dunno. The pointy ears were a dead giveaway to me... as in: I was sure this is either an elf or half-elf (which I'm not sure exists in Wesnoth lore). :|
ride on shooting star
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

great sprites.

as mentioned above, take care of the size of the units, dont make them taller than similar mainline sprites (of the same level).

of course things like helmets and stuff must be taken into account.
sometimes i see people make sprites without helmets as tall as sprites with a spiked or otherwise height-shaped helmet.

for me the height of eyes is a good reference
(and of course low level units dont get as beutiful and spiked helmets as higher levels ;))
The best bet is your own, good Taste.
Great_Mage_Atari

The real issue is an elf with brown hair. We are all used to seeing one with blond or white hair, so it may need some modifications to make it look more elf-like in appearance.
Vranca

Post by Vranca »

Great_Mage_Atari wrote:The real issue is an elf with brown hair. We are all used to seeing one with blond or white hair, so it may need some modifications to make it look more elf-like in appearance.
Ellisae wrote:Thana's pretty much an outcast among elves for looking different
My sprites,My Minitroops
Philip II of Macedon:"If I win this war, you will be slaves forever."
The Spartan ephors:"If."
Subsequently, both Philip and Alexander would avoid Sparta entirely.
Great_Mage_Atari

Thanks Vranca. Always a pleasure. :whistle:

Anyways what I mean is that she needs to be recognizable as an elf while still retaining her differences.