Eastern Europe at War (EEaW) - now on GitHub!

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Lollipopz

Re: XVII Century Project : Eastern Europe at War (EEaW)

Post by Lollipopz »

None of the maps work in 1.9.4 :(
"Neighbour knocked my door at midnight. Instead of sugar he wanted brains. I gave bullets."

Resistance is futile. Ponies will take over the internet.
Sagez

Post by Sagez »

1.9.4 is an old version. Download 1.9.7.

*(Everybody is talking about those damned maps :evil: ... now I realised that it's better to make map-packs (maps are great, yay :D ), not eras (nobody is interested :lol2: )...*
Eastern Europe at War Co-Creator viewtopic.php?f=19&t=34418
"Neptune has finally wed Venus - even Gods can't screw around forever." L-F Céline
MattDakka

Post by MattDakka »

I'm interested in both your era and its maps.
If you want we can play some games with it.
:)
Favourite Eras: Ageless Era; Eastern Europe at War.
Favourite MP Map: Creep War.
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

I like the era, too, not just the maps. Speaking of which, I had an idea: To more accurately represent the Spanish and Austrian tactics (the "tercio"), why not give the Habsburg Recruit and the Habsburg Shooter a small grouping bonus, like we did for the Lavinian Legionnaire in the Imperial Era?
Lollipopz

Post by Lollipopz »

Well, reason I am interested in maps is that eras most often work in maps made specifically for them, or least, its more fun that way.
"Neighbour knocked my door at midnight. Instead of sugar he wanted brains. I gave bullets."

Resistance is futile. Ponies will take over the internet.
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

I had another idea. Currently, Denmark, Prussia, and Livonia are on one or another of the maps, but none of them has any specially made army. Now, one way to get around this is to give them a randomly generated army. But there is another way.

Since so many sixteenth and early seventeenth century armies relied heavily on mercenaries, it would be possible to make a mercenary army that could be used for any or all of the other nations that do not have any unique art of their own.

Such a faction would only need a pikeman, a musketeer, a cannon, a ship, and a horseman. No new art would be needed for it, just take the appropriate art from one or two of the other factions, probably Sweden or the Habsburgs.
Faello

Post by Faello »

Just to put my 5 cents to this topic:
- 7 players for basic EEaW seems to be a lot already, you could say that's a small campaign-size mp scenario and to fully appreciate it, you need at least 7 stable players that can spend a lot of time with it, be there to load the game multiple times and play it all the way to the end

Considering the above, you don't want to put any more factions to EEaW. Wesnoth community isn't full of a hardcore wargamers that are willing to spend X hours from every weekend to play some longterm mp scenario like it is with some others mp war games (for ex. Europa Universalis), there are already some deep and well designed add ons around that are suffering from the lack of attention (for ex. Galactic Empires) because they require a lot of time.

Better stay with 7 players/faction and polish whole scenario in every direction possible (more animations, better balance, add diplomacy etc.), also post some replays to actually show how the full game with 7 players tend to look like - until now I haven't seen anybody actually playing this add on online, and it may be an indicator that it's not as popular as dl count may suggest (I've dl'ed it twice by myself yet haven't played a single game with it yet).
The yellow jester does not play
but gently pulls the strings
and smiles as the puppets dance
in the court of the Crimson King.
Sagez

Post by Sagez »

@ MattDaka - it's very kind of you. Maybe someday we will message in order to play EEaW together (I hope that despite different time-zones we will manage to do it :wink: ).
@ Temuchin Khan - interesting idea with the ''tercio'' grouping bonus, but I downloaded Imperial Era and I couldn't find that ability... Where it is?
@ Lollipopz -
...its more fun that way.
Yeah, ''more fun'' sounds compellingly 8) I have good news - soon all of the maps will be ready for 1.8.
@ Faello - You are right, 7 factions is enough. We are definitely not going to add any ''mercaneries'' or anything like the eight nation... Of course we'll keep polishing EEaW and EEaW's maps. Well, it's not true that people don't play EEaW - many Polish players play it on ''gharn'' , an unofficial BfW server.

But, I'm proud that yesterday I was playing EEaW on official 1.8 BfW server... we were testing polish winged hussars :D You can find our wonderful replay here : http://www.mediafire.com/?dk3vz2rxwbnx2rc :P
"Neptune has finally wed Venus - even Gods can't screw around forever." L-F Céline
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Sagez wrote:@ Temuchin Khan - interesting idea with the ''tercio'' grouping bonus, but I downloaded Imperial Era and I couldn't find that ability... Where it is?
Was it removed in a recent version? I remember at least originally there was grouping bonus for the Lavinian Legionnaire.

EDIT: I found it. Go to Imperial Era -> data -> abilities and scroll down to #define_Weapon_Special_Formation.
Sagez

Post by Sagez »

The new version 1.1.2 is out!

We did not added ''tercio'' because this bonus is invisible during game.

Changelog :

- Your desired maps now work on 1.8;
- Swedish field hospital movement problems fixed;
- EEaW's credits have been supplemented;
- Austrian shooter - cost 15 (-1).

Thanks for the support!
MattDakka

Post by MattDakka »

Thanks, I'm going to play the new version!
One note: check all Field Hospitals' movements, the Sweden Field Hospital is not the only one with the wrong movement in the snow.

Edit: I tried the Eastern Europe map for 7 players, and I noticed one issue: most of the keeps across the map are too small. :(
I had something like 600+ gold and I wasn't unable to spend it, with just 2 hexagons to recruit my troops.
In my opinion some keeps should be enlarged a bit, 5-6 hexagons should be fine.
I might be wrong, but this is my first impression after playing some games.
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

MattDakka wrote:I tried the Eastern Europe map for 7 players, and I noticed one issue: most of the keeps across the map are too small. :(
I had something like 600+ gold and I wasn't unable to spend it, with just 2 hexagons to recruit my troops.
In my opinion some keeps should be enlarged a bit, 5-6 hexagons should be fine.
I've had that happen, too. Still, I wonder if it would be difficult to accurately represent Eastern European geography and still have larger keeps.
MattDakka

Post by MattDakka »

An alternative idea is to allow an unit of each faction to recruit troops (infantry officer comes to mind).
With some officers across the various cities multiple units could be recruited.
Sagez

Post by Sagez »

This idea was posted on wesnoth.com.pl two months ago and for sure in the future we'll allow officers/other units to recruit troops. But it won't happen too quickly because currently we are working on finishing ''Basic EEaW'' (the one which we play).

When it's done, we will focus on creating another mode for EEaW - ''EEaW +''. It will contain some really great and splendid stuff : (maybe) diplomacy working on our maps, officers able to recruit troops, builders able to build keeps and fortifications, several real ranged attacks (especially for cannons), ships that can transport soldiers... Of course it will take a lot of time.

In the next EEaW release you can expect a few new units and some balancing changes. While waiting, you can always listen to some moody, lyrical music -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mU9awaRx ... re=related or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mB0tP1I-14&ob=av2e .

PS I like your avatar and signature! :)
Last edited by Sagez on August 12th, 2011, 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MattDakka

Post by MattDakka »

Really good news! I love real ranged attacks, some years ago I asked mich (the Ranged Era maker) to create an era with real ranged attacks, the feature I miss most in default BfW game.
If you include it in the EEaW it will be even more amazing!
Thanks!