What Kind of Player Are You?

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

averyimaginativename

Re: What Kind of Player Are You?

Post by averyimaginativename »

Aggressively, without retreating. Tactics over strategy - advance on the enemy leader, in formation attacking when time of day is favourable, ZoCing when it's not. You kinda have to do this with undead, and they were the faction I learned to play with - whatever you learn with carries over to everything else. In single player it works because you finish the scenarios quicker and the gold bonus makes up for unit losses. In multi-player it's a double edged sword. If you're quick to break the enemy line you're almost guaranteed a win, but if you're slow you're quickly swamped and beaten by somebody more spread out gathering villages (though I play on a private server with only moderately skilled players, self included - better players would probably crush me).
UMC Story Images web gallery

On an indefinite Wesbreak for health reasons - please only try to get my attention for UMC story images website issues.
TheGreatRings

Post by TheGreatRings »

I tend to play defensively, grabbing nearby villages before slowing down and building up my forces. I prefer to let the other guy attack me (with my units stationed on good terrain), hopefully weakening them enough for me to then counter-attack.
"One man alone cannot fight the future"-
The X-files

"Send these foul beasts into the abyss"-Gandalf
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

I enjoy playing aggressively. :twisted:
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Colouredbox

Post by Colouredbox »

I usually try to win with a brutal rush or economically.
Waiting for cheesedwarfs to be added to ageless.
Moribund

Post by Moribund »

I curse RNG then I complain then I ragequit.
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Crendgrim »

I lose.
UMC Story Images — Story images for your campaign!
Neuromancer

Post by Neuromancer »

I love aggresive style. I always choose Drakes in multiplayer and often play them as orcs. This style leads sometimes to my quick demise, but then the more fun I have from wins.
Great_Mage_Atari

Post by Great_Mage_Atari »

I prefer to spread my forces over a wide area to confuse the enemy. As the Undead I recruit a couple of corpses to spread the plague. I usually spam the field with cheap units and gain income over time.
MRDNRA

Post by MRDNRA »

I don't tend to play multiplayer much, and when I do it's usually against my cousin who is far worse than me anyway, so I can just play according to each factions strengths usually, although that said he did somehow manage to beat me in less than 10 turns as drakes when I was loyalists once, I'm not entirely sure how but he managed to build a larger army of drakes than I could of loyalists with the same starting gold (and I claimed all my villages) and I just couldn't hold him off! I suppose that time I was just caught unprepared for a superpowered drake rush!
CatFace

Post by CatFace »

Duders

Alot of times Wesnoth becomes a battle of push & pull, give & take, shake & bake. A wave of Northerns crash apon the shore of spears from their Loyalist foes. An army of Drakes battle the Undead across a riverbed, each taking turns crossing the water when the time of day is adventitious. This is all good stuff. Great for mighty strategies and showing off that side of tactical genius you've kept hidden all these years.

But I like playing by way of luck, and sometimes (many times) fool's luck. It's about pulling those stunts that put the game in the bag. There is just something awesome about the overextended and surrounded Fencer, who holds out in the foothills until dawn. Or those Wolfrider who make a mad rush into the heart of Drake lines and finish off their leader against all odds. And sure, sometimes (more then sometimes) you throw the game. But for me rolling the die when that crazy, reckless, awesome chance shows itself will always be more fun then taking a safe route to victory.
bawaaaaaah!
koffeelord

Post by koffeelord »

I like to use the abilities my faction has as much as i can (poison for northeners healing for elves).I really think the abilities can make or break a game as damage and health wise all the factions are well balanced its the abilities that make the difference.I assume this applies to multiplayer as well as singleplayer but i mostly just do campaigns.
Astra

Post by Astra »

I like to send out scouting units(If there's fog of war) If not then I usually send out a party of damage soaks(Heavy infantry,Woses, etc.) to stall the AI or other player while sending the scouts that I may or may not have to grab houses or sneak attack. Then pull out all stops and send in a lot of units to reinforce the damage sinks while racking up gold from the isolated villages that my scouts hopefully have got. Then what happens later depends of the faction. Undead: Send out a few dark adepts covered by skeletons to take out any tough units then forge on. Drakes: Saurians to weaken units fighters to finish them of. Elfs: Use scouts to delay the other opponent while building up archers and fighters and taking the other guy out.Loyalists: Kamakaze horseman work wonders. Orcs: Swmp the opponent with units. This strategy works most of the time but it requires the damage soaks to live and to have a large reserve of gold after the damage soaks die.
Deki

Post by Deki »

I mostly play SP campaigns against the AI, where I tend to role play a little and adjust my strategy accordingly to it. Sometimes I try to finish scenarios with several different strategies. When I am on the attack I try to attack on one point with strong concentrated push from the main army while fast units get around the flank (to cut enemies supply lines, take his undefended bases or hit enemies from the back). When I am on defence I try to find good position to defend and if possible to make some carefully planned counter attacks on weakened enemy units. If possible I sent unit or two to harass opponents supply lines.
ayearhasgone

Post by ayearhasgone »

Well it depends on the size and type of the map, but generally I'm defensive. I bide my time, build my forces, organize my battle line according to terrain and time of day. I like to let the enemy come to me. And since I mostly play SP against the AI, I can usually throw out a few speedbumps and feints to reduce the strength of the enemy's first attack, which puts me in a position for a brutal counter-attack.

I do enjoy scenarios that force me to play aggressively. The Siege of Elensefar in HttT is a good example. You can stay back and build your forces all you want, but the Undead are marching ever closer to reinforce the Orcs, and heaven help you if they get there first.
Insinuator

Post by Insinuator »

CatFace wrote:Duders

Alot of times Wesnoth becomes a battle of push & pull, give & take, shake & bake. A wave of Northerns crash apon the shore of spears from their Loyalist foes. An army of Drakes battle the Undead across a riverbed, each taking turns crossing the water when the time of day is adventitious. This is all good stuff. Great for mighty strategies and showing off that side of tactical genius you've kept hidden all these years.

But I like playing by way of luck, and sometimes (many times) fool's luck. It's about pulling those stunts that put the game in the bag. There is just something awesome about the overextended and surrounded Fencer, who holds out in the foothills until dawn. Or those Wolfrider who make a mad rush into the heart of Drake lines and finish off their leader against all odds. And sure, sometimes (more then sometimes) you throw the game. But for me rolling the die when that crazy, reckless, awesome chance shows itself will always be more fun then taking a safe route to victory.
Dude, you just became my hero. That was literally the best post I've ever read. You rock. Keep on shaking and baking.