Zero's art

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Re: Zero Hasn't Posted In His Own Thread For A Month! Egad!

Post by Zerovirus »

Finally finished this thing. I think it's my biggest project thus far.
Dunno

Post by Dunno »

I wish we had a jaw dropping smiley. For now I'll have to do with WOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAH and :shock:
Oh, I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?
Golden_Soldier

Post by Golden_Soldier »

I would totally play that game :P
Neoskel
Art Contributor

Post by Neoskel »

So the game is about Leo going around and murdering all the other signs of the zodiac?

You're a Leo aren't you. 8)

Anyways cool image, though it wouldn't work terribly well as an actual game. I think it would work better if the 'interface' elements used a different palette than the background. I'd expect that stuff to be more of a purple like the player character there and as it is now it blends into the background too much for something that important. The boss critter there and the projectiles should probably also stand out from the background more than they do now. Also the minimap should probably be angled to same as the playable area to prevent confusion/frustration.

The below is spoilered for massive overthinking on theoretical/apparent gameplay elements
Spoiler:
Anyways, don't read too much into the criticism, it's all more of design criticism than art criticism and you just made the image for fun/practice and not as an actual game design if i'm not terribly mistaken. Good stuff, keep on being awesome etc. etc.
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

Actually, I'm Aquarius. We weren't allowed to pick our own zodiac signs, because then everyone would have gone for the more easily aquatic-ized ones- aquarius, cancer, capricorn, and scorpio.

And you're right, on a second look I have no idea how this battle would go either? Maybe you smash the glowy orbs? Maybe the snake will move around a bit because hey it's a snake it has lots of movement? I didn't think much beyond how I could shove as much cool-looking stuff in there as I could.

I did plan to have like two summoned lion familiars, but that plan didn't really go through.

Anyways, based on suggestions at Pixeljoint, I revised the palette slightly so the orange is more desaturated. Won't be uploading that edit for the contest unfortunately, though I do think that it's a noticeably large improvement.
Attachments
Round_1_Finished.PNG
Round_1_Finished.PNG (40.91 KiB) Viewed 4255 times
Frogger5

Post by Frogger5 »

Woah, man, where the hell did that come from? :o I am in awe.
My spritework can be seen here.

Want to play Roll 2 Dodge, or even start your own game?http://rolltododge.freeforums.org/index.php We need you!
Shinobody

Post by Shinobody »

Dunno, orbs around certainly look better, in hypothetical gameplay means - they distract player less, and look more as "background terrain". On the other hand, it looks worser on "main" orb beneath the boss (which seems important), as it does on skills buttons, since it doesn't say "interactive/important" so much...
Of course, this comment is useless and anti-important, since it is Pixart STYLISED as game, not design for game ;) (and adding one more color wouldn't improve it graphically, of course, and this version in fact does look better than the other.)
Apart from that? Awesomeness. (In fact, I tried to post here that doesn't just say "Awesome", since "Awesome" is default state of any Zero's art...)
Artist, writer, game designer for hire.
Art portfolio: https://shino1.artstation.com
Writing dump: https://shino1portfolio.wordpress.com/
My itchio for video games and TTRPG stuff: https://shino1.itch.io/
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Nice!

Reminds me to try and do something larger than 72px72p sometime... :P And I'm soooo envying your skills with rock formations... been experimenting and failing with that for some time myself.

That being said, the perspective of the flat rocks (where the character is walking) seems to change in the transition from the foreground to the background. If I look at the flat area by itself I don't see anything wrong with it, but when you look at the piece as a whole I can't shake the impression. I'm unable to say why that is... Other than that, I think the piece might be even better if there were a slightly more prominent secondary light source, but that's just me.

EDIT: thinking on it some more I get the impression that the foreground is more of an isometric perspective while the background seems more like 'vanishing' (3D) perspective. Could be wrong on that though.
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

@artisticdude: Background does seem to be slightly side-view, as most traditional platformer games have it, but I think the issue is negligible.

This faction tree's about finished; time for me to actually learn WML, I guess. Also gotta get around to fixing up the palette to get rid of the foggy shadows effect mentioned a few pages back. Faction ideas in spoiler.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Attachments
jadealchemical_update4.PNG
Drakefriend

Post by Drakefriend »

Sounds quite interesting, but I think the Level four Golem looks overdone, even considering we are talking of a level 4. Maybe make him slightly smaler?
After far too long an absence, I have returned.
According to the quiz 100% Silver Mage (85% Archmage, 75% Shyde, 67% Flameheart and Ancient Wose,58% Assassin, Troll Warrior and Berserker). And my top score is exactly how I see myself.
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

on faction (off topic for art):
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

I've been trying to stay away from complex WML ideas and custom abilities because I know where my limits are for WML coding and custom abilities is not within that limit :P

I'd love help with the coding to make some of my more far-fetched ideas for the faction possible though!

@drakefriend: NEVAAAAAR

I like the overdone-ness :P
Moderator Emeritus

Post by 8680 »

I too would be willing to write custom abilities of any complexity, as long as you don't mind my using Lua.
Shinobody

Post by Shinobody »

@Drakefriend: Asking Zerovirus to don't overdo is like asking wind to stop blowing.
Ah, and current Fire Dragon sprite has set top size limit for 5 and 4 levels quite high. This Golem is maybe like half of it...
(Besides, Wesnoth surely lacks giant magical robots...)
Wait, so this faction will be (hopefully) made by Zerovirus AND Dixie...?
That's to good to be true. ^_^
Artist, writer, game designer for hire.
Art portfolio: https://shino1.artstation.com
Writing dump: https://shino1portfolio.wordpress.com/
My itchio for video games and TTRPG stuff: https://shino1.itch.io/
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

I actually used the Fire Dragon as a size-reference during the initial sketch process. This sprite, unlike my others, was made by me scanning a page-large doodle I made into the computer, stretch-skewing it a little, and then proceeding. I even considered making it about 25% larger, due to comparing it with the Fire Dragon!

I suppose it's a good thing that I didn't do that :P