Post your favorite boardgame!

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Shinobody

Re: Post your favorite boardgame!

Post by Shinobody »

Wait... Aren't ALL card games using class 2 Randomness?
According to this classification.
Artist, writer, game designer for hire.
Art portfolio: https://shino1.artstation.com
Writing dump: https://shino1portfolio.wordpress.com/
My itchio for video games and TTRPG stuff: https://shino1.itch.io/
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Depends how they are used.

Combat Commander has cards that are used that way in the traditional sense, however it also uses the cards as dice (rather than rolling you flip the top card of the deck over and view the dice icons in the bottom right. Other games like Talisman has people wander into territories and draw cards to see what happens to them there. These are both 'type 1' randomness.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
bobknows

Post by bobknows »

Risk
Chess
Monopoly
Civilization is ok but too many things to keep track of
Backgammon
Anything I can see the defeat on my friends while I grind him into the dirt ;)

And of course wesnoth
tekelili

Post by tekelili »

Velensk wrote:I didn't quite understand what you were saying in that last bit, but if you know a Titan simulation with a decent system for online play with strangers could you post a link to it?
http://colossus.sourceforge.net/

It is a java simulation. Alows network games, but I didnt tried it, just local games. I didnt played it too much because I am too used to a house rule: You have to lose not only your Titan to be defeated, but also your initial Angel.

I must say I find best games been 3 or 4 players, with 5 or 6, I agree with you Velensk, you can find yourself stucked on startegic board with no good moves several turns very soon.
Be aware English is not my first language and I could have explained bad myself using wrong or just invented words.
World Conquest II
Joram

Post by Joram »

I'm actually rather amused that I've gotten people to start talking about types 1 and 2 randomness. :lol2: Was just trying to throw out a thought that might prove an interesting read, and that likely would then vanish in the pages of history.
lipk wrote:
2) Players use a random method of determining what actions are available to them
For example they draw event cards on the beginning of every round, and they can only recruit new troops if a certain card is presented. Some class 2 randomness from Game of Thrones :). And it's still a good game. Furthermore, my personal favorite, El Grande includes some class 2 mechanisms too. I think it rather depends on the amount of randomness, not the type of it (if we can classify the types of randomness at all).
The thing about aGoT, is that the class 2 randomness present is a universal status thingy for all the players; there isn't the opportunity for some people to get 'better' results than others. It would be like in Catan doling out the same resources to each player every round (albeit randomly determining what those are). El Grande is similar, in that while the actions available are randomly determined, the players are then competing for which actions they get to take, removing the chance of unfair distribution.

Now, in both cases (particularly aGoT), a particular sequence of 'randomly determined actions' can favor one person over the other; there are times in aGoT where I really, really (don't) want a muster to be turned up in the first deck. So sometimes a player will get lucky, and the universal status phase will help him more than others; by the same token, doling out identical resources to all the players in Catan would in some situations help some more than others (example: one player can't make use of sheep while another player is on the coast building boats, if you're playing Seafarers).

But that said, you are correct that amount of luck is an important factor. Imo, aGoT has precisely the right amount of uncertainty with the Westeros Phase and the House Cards to keep the game interesting and uncertain, while not really having that much random effect on the outcome of the game (though I have played games of that where we didn't get a muster till turn 6 :shock: )

The bringing up of card games has actually made think of a possible nuance to my classifications. It is true that in practically all card games, you are dealt a hand of cards and then stuck with what you've got. On the other hand, one could consider that more similar to playing Wesnoth on a random map. The initial set up is random, and can favor one person over another, but after the starting gun sounds, there is no randomness (depending on the type of card game, obviously).

This is actually one reason that I like games like "Oh Hell" (possibly known to others as Blackout). You are dealt a hand of cards, and then you bid the number of tricks that you think you can take. If you take exactly the number that you bid, you score bonus points. This means that even a hand of dud cards can be made into a winning hand by a good player, thus minimizing the effects of the initial randomness.

I'd probably consider this a slightly less offensive form of type 2.

P.S. I've done a few network games of Titan using Colossus. IIRC, there isn't very good support for disconnecting and trying to get back in the game, but if you don't have that problem, it works fine. It also supports a HUGE number of variant battle boards, units, and rulesets. Some of those variant battle boards are pretty intense ^_^
The Fires of Pride 0.3, a heavily story based campaign.
On hold while I try and finish my book
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

I've been looking at the rules for Titan for a while now, looks really interesting! I'll definitely try collossus, maybe training a bit in local play beforehand (seeing how I've never played it before). aGoT sounds cool too, I'll have to check it out :)
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Played Cosmic Encounter the other night. Very much enjoyed it, though I found it just a touch too random maybe. Great fun though, and I'm looking forward to playing it again.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
enchilado

Post by enchilado »

Probably The Settlers of Catan. I also like Carcassonne and chess, which I also suck at.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Colossus is indeed pretty interesting. It's interface feels a touch clunky compared to just handling the counters at times but there are a number of convinces that make up for it. I didn't like many of the alternates I tried but a few of them looked interesting.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
lipk

Post by lipk »

I'm actually rather amused that I've gotten people to start talking about types 1 and 2 randomness.
Maybe you could apply for the Fields Medal for inventing the Standard Classification of Randomness :wink:
Deki

Post by Deki »

My favourite boardgames are chess and diplomacy.

Btw I am new to this forum (I play Battle of Wesnoth for a while now though) so good day to this great community :)
NeroSonic

Post by NeroSonic »

Chess
Insinuator

Post by Insinuator »

thespaceinvader wrote:Played Cosmic Encounter the other night.
Ha! I was wondering if anyone else in the world played that game! It's fun, but can get repetitive very quickly, in my opinion.

I love Risk, Chess, and Settlers of Catan. As to those whining about Catan's randomness, the Traders and Barbarians expansion gives a lovely way of much reducing those concerns. Instead of rolling the dice, you draw cards which are laid out statistically.
Araja

Post by Araja »

thespaceinvader wrote:Araja: D&D's not a board game. It's an RPG. Not quite the same thing. Close, but no cigar.
There's a very, very simplified boardgame version, which is the one I was referring to.

I forgot to mention Mare Nostrum the first time I was here, particularly with the mythology expansion. We had alot of fun there, even if we spent most of it alternating between total stalemate, fighting over which areas had the prettiest resource cards and throwing thunderbolts at eachother's cities.
(The resource cards had really nice artwork)
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Refer to it then :P It's called either Wrath of Ashardalon or Castle Ravenloft (or, at least, those are the two that are currently in print) - there's also Conquest of Nerath, but that's more Risk-style.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.