Eastern Europe at War (EEaW) - now on GitHub!

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Sagez

Re: XVII Century Project : Eastern Europe at War (EEaW)

Post by Sagez »

The new version just went to the BfW servers.

Changelog:
- Swedish Shooter - cost: 15 (-1);
- Young Winged Hussar - cost: 35 (+5);
- Armoured - cost: 21 (+1);
- Siege Cannon - cost: 36 (+3) attack 60-1;
- Royal Culverin - attack 120-1;
- Sich Esaul - added the leadership ability.

Feel free to comment & critique!
Eastern Europe at War Co-Creator viewtopic.php?f=19&t=34418
"Neptune has finally wed Venus - even Gods can't screw around forever." L-F Céline
MattDakka

Post by MattDakka »

The maps included in EEaW are still not working in Wesnoth 1.8 . :?
Favourite Eras: Ageless Era; Eastern Europe at War.
Favourite MP Map: Creep War.
Sagez

Post by Sagez »

I remember about maps - they are not working because they are using new terrain types which exist only in 1.9. Bs_grom, author of our maps, said (two days ago) that he will make those maps working on 1.8 in two days... :| Please, be patient, I will ask him again and we will know how is the progress going...
"Neptune has finally wed Venus - even Gods can't screw around forever." L-F Céline
MattDakka

Post by MattDakka »

The Sweden Field Hospital cannot move to snow terrains, marshes and shallow water because the move there costs 4 and it has just movement 3.
Sagez

Post by Sagez »

Thank you very much, we'll fix it as soon as possible. Bs_grom hasn't answered me yet.
Last edited by Sagez on July 29th, 2011, 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MattDakka

Post by MattDakka »

Thanks, one little comment: I personally find that ships should not be allowed to move to the land, only in deep, shallow waters and fords, maybe in marshes.
I played against the CPU and sometimes it creates ships which travel on land, that's so weird.
:P
May the ship movement be changed in order to make them more realistic, please?
:)
Last edited by MattDakka on July 29th, 2011, 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sagez

Post by Sagez »

Well, I'm afraid that's not possible. Why? There are many maps with water, but usually your starting castle is not directly connected with water. If the ships would be not allowed to move on land, they would never reach water and become a painful waste of money (while still blocking one recrutiment hex).
Advice: imagine that ships are travelling on wagons or in parts, like me :P . Fortunately, ships are very slow and vulnerable on land. If you have another idea for the ships, feel free to post it.

AI is often very stupid when playing EEaW and ordinarily starts spamming quickly... maybe those ships moving on land are just the AI worst strategy :lol2: . EEaW is of course a lot better if you are playing it with friends.

I appreciate your commitment - you'll be added to EEaW credits :)

*sorry for my bad english - at least I'm editing posts and correcting mistakes :wink: *
Last edited by Sagez on July 29th, 2011, 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MattDakka

Post by MattDakka »

I see, a quick idea that comes to mind is to turn a ship into an unarmed cart or wagon while on land (to represent the parts travelling to the water, as you said).
This thing is possible to code, in 18th century era the Leaders turn to a ship when they have to cross the water, then they turn back to Leaders when on land again.
This would make ships useful only in water, like they should be, and they should be protected while travelling across the land (this would add depth to the strategies). A thing I don't like of ships is that, even if they are very vulnerable on land, they still can fire with the cannons, and this is bad.
I understand your point and the reasons behind making the ships travelling on land, but while on land they should not fire at all, in my opinion.
Sorry if I'm bothering you, I'm simply brainstorming my personal ideas to improve this amazing era.
Thanks for the honour of including me in the credits!
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Which reminds me,

You might want to take a look at the Gunpowder Age transports to see if you want to implement that for your ships to make amphibious assaults possible. If you do though give me advance warning and I'll fix a few of the outstanding issues with the transports before you do (there are a few dynamics problems with a system which allows transports to unload troops into water to aid with navel warfare).
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Sagez

Post by Sagez »

@ Matt Daka
You are always welcome, EEaW needs people like you :)
This idea is great and we will try to make use of it.

@ Velensk
We know ''Gunpowder Age'' (XVIII Warfare too, both eras are good and needed - I'm personally tired of fantasy) and we were already planning ''borrowing'' transports from it. It would be great if you could fix those problems with transport, EEaW team would be very thankful to you (and yeah, you would be in our credits :wink: ).
Last edited by Sagez on July 29th, 2011, 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Maybe this has been fixed, but be careful in giving absolutely no attack to a ship on land: an attackless unit can still attack, and if it happens another attackless unit, wesnoth will crash. Maybe give them just some weak attack reprensenting the people moving the carts about, something like 2-1, just so you avoid engine bugs, but it's still not really a worthwhile attack.
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
MattDakka

Post by MattDakka »

Velensk's post reminded me another suggestion I wanted to write: while trying EEaW on 18th Century Europe map I've noticed that it's impossible for units to cross the sea, for example from Britain to France, because EEaW doesn't have any transport ship.
A transport ship to carry troops (as in Gunpowder Era) or a ship able to "recruit" troops around it (like in 18th Century Era) would be really really useful to improve the playability in big maps with lot of seas.
Sagez

Post by Sagez »

Guys, you are absolutely right! Actually, majority of the EEaW team is on holidays, so you will have to wait for transport ships and other cool stuff. Thanks so much! :)
MattDakka

Post by MattDakka »

I noticed that Polish-Lithuanian faction and Kingdom of Sweden have 2 healer units, in the shape of Medical Orderly/Rescuer and Field Hospital. I think this is a bit redundant. The other factions have just one healer unit.
In my opinion each faction should have just one healer unit, be it a Field Hospital or an infantry healer.
Sagez

Post by Sagez »

Nope. We are against unification of factions because it would make EEaW less original (that is to say: boring and communist :wink: ). Besides, additional healer unit provides more tacital options. The more differences you have, the better your addon is.