Post your favorite boardgame!

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

lipk

Post your favorite boardgame!

Post by lipk »

Since Wesnoth is much like a very big boardgame, I suppose that I'm not only boardgame fanatic in this forum :)
I have a pretty big collection of games and they are some of my regular time-killers. If there's no partner, I can play a six player match alone (clinical case of schizophrenia).

So, my favorites are:
El Grande, Race for the Galaxy, Zertz

What about yours?
HomerJ

Re: Post your favorite boardgame!

Post by HomerJ »

Die Siedler von Catan.

Greetz
HomerJ
Six years without a signature!
Araja

Post by Araja »

Dungeons and Dragons, mostly because I make my own gameplay mechanics. "Attack!" has also kept me busy, mostly by being invaded by other boardgames.
(Especially Doom 3)
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

Puerto Rico
Risk
Settlers of Catan
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Squad Leader and Combat Commander are currently my favorite hex wargames.
Age of Renaissance is my favorite build'em'up/point game.
Robo Rally is my favorite racing/programming game (the new edition leaves out some of the funner board elements though)
I'm the Boss is my favorite party game (though you have to stretch the definition to include it in there).
Settlers of Catan is my favorite of the games that I can safely introduce non-gamers to without overwhelming them.

Dominion isn't technically a board game but I'll give it honorable mention for being ingenious, fast, and fun (and taking as much space).

EDIT: Though, if Race for the Galaxy counts I don't see why dominion wouldn't.
Last edited by Velensk on July 27th, 2011, 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Heroscape. And, like Wesnoth, it's a hex-based TBS game. ^_^

And, of course, Risk. Some other games come to mind as well, but I can't remember the names ATM...
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
lipk

Post by lipk »

EDIT: Though, if Race for the Galaxy counts I don't see why dominion wouldn't.
Of course it counts. I thought that everybody have already got rid of that ancient stereotype that a boardgame actually needs a board :wink:
averyimaginativename

Post by averyimaginativename »

Strictly, no boards involved, but GURPS.

/thread
UMC Story Images web gallery

On an indefinite Wesbreak for health reasons - please only try to get my attention for UMC story images website issues.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Thus far, I've most enjoyed Railways of the World, but I've not been playing these sorts of games long. I also have good memories of Carcassonne, but it's been a long while since I played it.

I am swiftly becoming an avid enthusiast of proper board games.

Araja: D&D's not a board game. It's an RPG. Not quite the same thing. Close, but no cigar.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

Carcassonne, anyone?
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

Zerovirus wrote:Carcassonne, anyone?
Used to like that one, but I got bored with it eventually. Neat concept, though, and I still play it occasionally.
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Dunno if it fits the defiition of "board games", but my favorite nowadays is somekind of guessing game. Players are separated in 2 or more teams and each one of them writes a set amount of words on small papers (8-12 is ideal). Words have to be common nouns. The game is played in three phases. Players will then go one after the other to have their team mates guess the word they've drawn from the pot (where the words everyone wrote are). Each one has 1 minute to have their team mates guess as many as possible, then it goes to the next player (in the other team). The phases are:
1) Players make their teammates guess using definitions. No words of the same family (using apple for appletree, for instance) or "this word sounds like...".
2) Players make their teammates guess using a single word. If they can't guess with the only word they've said, all they can do is repeat the word and hope they get it. It's easier since they're the samewords used in phase one. Using inside jokes or cross-references used in the first phase is advised.
3) Players have to mime to have their teammates guess. No charades.

Phases end when the pot is empty of words, then words are counted, scored and put back in the pot for the next phase. It's a pretty fun game. We had no name for it, but a friend decided it would be named fou de bassan :lol:

If this doesn't count, I like Settlers of Catan and Axis and Allies. And I'm not sure it counts, but I also enjoy French Tarot, although I still have to find enough people interested in learning and playing this less-linear strategic card game. Ideally, you have to be 4 for it to be really balanced. At most, I have 3 interested people, of which one is usually 2 hours away...
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
tekelili

Post by tekelili »

My most loved board game depends of what kind of play I am looking for, but if I had to chose just one: TITAN (Avalon Hil Company)

It is the only game risk-kinda I know that manage more than 2 players in a way you can attack other players without become easy prey for remaining ones. In other words, agression is possible among good players.
Be aware English is not my first language and I could have explained bad myself using wrong or just invented words.
World Conquest II
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

GURPS is also an RPG (or rather role playing system).

Titan is another good one with a couple rather intresting dynamics however it is random in a few ways I don't appreciate much and that stops me from listing it as a favorite. That said, I agree that it is lovely to have a FFA game where attacking won't set you too far behind. I kind of liked Starcraft the Board game for that reason too but some aspects of it felt unpolished. It was however a very interesting system which felt quite a bit like the computer game and a FFA where agression was assured.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

Dune
Squad Leader
The Fantasy Trip (predecessor to GURPS)
Car Wars
GEV

Edit: Gack, forgot Diplomacy.
Last edited by Maiklas3000 on August 3rd, 2011, 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.