The most overused and the most underused faction

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

wugui

Re: The most overused and the most underused faction

Post by wugui »

I like Northerners most, however I think that it is underused by other players.
I think that Rebels and Knalgans are more popular than other factions.
Argentex

Post by Argentex »

wugui wrote:I like Northerners most, however I think that it is underused by other players.
I think that Rebels and Knalgans are more popular than other factions.
The elves and dwarves really do appeal to newer players, considering I am one. I also find a large amount of undeads. I don't see many drakes or orcs. Humans come now and again. (based off of about 30 of my recent games.)
wugui

Post by wugui »

I am really uncomfortable with drakes, thus I don't use them, however even though I am a new player, I love orcs.
Rowanthepreacher

Post by Rowanthepreacher »

We have a consensus. Drakes don't get used much.
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

Yoyobuae, where art thou? :augh:
salade

Post by salade »

MRDNRA wrote:My favourite factions are elves and undead, although when playing WC-NM by myself I will use Loyalists, Elves, and Undead, so I suppose for me they are my overused factions.

My least favourite (and therefore least used) faction are the drakes. I hate their low defenses, despite their extremely potent attacking skills.
hi MRDNRA, haven't played with you for a long time.

In WC_NM, Knalgans Dwarvish Steelclad and Layalist White Mage are probably the 2 most popular leaders. IMHO, drakes and undead are most difficult faction to play with, but undead isn't underuse. One of the reasons I think Drakes and Undead are hard in WC is that in WC, AI could spawn a particular unit type. (i suppose, in most games like 1v1, people tend to use diversified army, and even if they spawn a single unit type, the number is way less than WC AI) When the enemy makes a lot of burners, there is nothing you can do but remake the game.

Besides, as in WC_NM, the list of recruitment is affected by the choice of leader, and in the default era, everyone can choose among only 4 unit types in the first map. My favorite is Elf Ranger as its starting recruitment list covers all 3 types of physical melee damage (fighter for blade, archer for pierce, wose for impact), and it can handle different type of enemy.
Duck-Horse

Post by Duck-Horse »

My favorite faction is orcs - i love using slayers. I don't see them played that often, tho. Loyalists and Elves are common, but boring.
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

I think a lot of people play Drakes in RPGs and things like that. Not really in actual games though.

I play Drakes myself, but I normally play Northerners in real games since they're my best.

I am tempted to say Drakes but honestly I think it's Undead.

EDIT: Just realized this was a huge topic revival, lol.
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
cookie

Post by cookie »

CoolDude wrote:the idea is to say what faction you used/fought against most,and you least used/fighten against.even on ramdoms can be.
Fine. TBH I don't really care what fraction I use myself because the outcome is usually the same. If I had to pick, ORCs and LOYs hands down. :L
OR dwarfs

Actually everything but Undead.
Yeah Everything but undead :roll:
Bye says the cookie.
Aelaris

Post by Aelaris »

tl;dr: Rebels are common for new players, until they go random; undead and drakes don't get the love, Northies to a lesser extent.

I started playing with a bunch of my friends, all at the same time, though I wound up getting sufficiently better than them fairly quickly. Almost all of them originally liked Rebels the most.

Why Rebels? I guess because they played the campaigns (I don't, and can't get far in them for the life of me), and Heir to the Throne has you playing a faux-Rebel faction initially? I'm not sure. But there was a point when I got really sick of rebels, because a flat majority of my friends picked them every time.

I actually think this is a bit detrimental, as Elves aren't actually the Mario of the game - they don't teach the usage of day/night shifts well, and they over-emphasize ranged attacks.

Of course, they all eventually turned to Random, though often with them trying to, say, play undead as they would elves.

I think that the general thread of favorite race goes: Rebels -> Loyalists -> Knaglans -> Random

By that logic, the most underused races would be Drakes, Undead, and Northerners, but I can't figure out which of them is under-used more, so to speak. I certainly glee whenever I start as Drakes, Undead, or Northerners, but I'm weird like that.

(Also, I have had a friend who managed to vehemently argue that Rebels were OP, then that Loyalists were OP (and Drakes the weakest), then that Knaglans were OP, and then that Drakes were OP. Wasn't sure what to make of it, though I did my best to defend my beloved scaley-poos.)
"Let's all agree that Konrad simply represents 'Konrad and his female ninja bodyguards'." - Gambit, explaining how a character could also be a battalion.
roloman45

Post by roloman45 »

I use elves everytime although I may use the ocasionall celestial
powershot

Post by powershot »

overused: Rebels
underused: Drakes

I like using:Drakes, Rebels, occasionally Undead for their wraiths, and never Dwarves.

Drakes should really go mainline. :cry:
My new account is: Power_Pixel_Wannabe. Yea. Yea.... Why are you still reading this? What the heck m8? You have some kind of problem? Yea. I draw. NO I'M NOT 5 ANYMORE!!! Little brats.
The heck m8? I thought you left... No seriously... go... serious...
ok bye m8. I'm serious.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

powershot wrote: Drakes should really go mainline. :cry:
I can only imagine he means campaign-wise.

Greetz
HomerJ
Six years without a signature!
powershot

Post by powershot »

No, not UMC campaigns, Mainline Campaigns.
My new account is: Power_Pixel_Wannabe. Yea. Yea.... Why are you still reading this? What the heck m8? You have some kind of problem? Yea. I draw. NO I'M NOT 5 ANYMORE!!! Little brats.
The heck m8? I thought you left... No seriously... go... serious...
ok bye m8. I'm serious.
Xalzar

Post by Xalzar »

powershot wrote:No, not UMC campaigns, Mainline Campaigns.
It's exactly what he said... :whistle:
HomerJ wrote:
powershot wrote:Drakes should really go mainline.
I can only imagine he means campaign-wise.