Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Vranca´s artwork

Post by artisticdude »

You're getting significantly better with chainmail (it's a never-ending battle, I know :cry: ). The arm holding the axe seems to hover beside the rest of him though... why so much space between the arm and the torso? And perhaps this was intentional (?), but he's only got 1 pauldron.

Keep it up! :)
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Vranca

Post by Vranca »

em3 wrote:Belonging to the peanut gallery, I would say it needs more outlines. Otherwise it is pretty darn good.
Not sure what did you mean about the outlines,i don't know where would i add them.
artisticdude wrote:You're getting significantly better with chainmail (it's a never-ending battle, I know :cry: ). The arm holding the axe seems to hover beside the rest of him though... why so much space between the arm and the torso? And perhaps this was intentional (?), but he's only got 1 pauldron.

Keep it up! :)
Thank's :D
the one pauldron is intentional,i wanted him to be less symmetric.I moved the hand closer to the body,it does look better now.
Attachments
MerGuard.png
MerGuard.png (1.91 KiB) Viewed 6432 times
My sprites,My Minitroops
Philip II of Macedon:"If I win this war, you will be slaves forever."
The Spartan ephors:"If."
Subsequently, both Philip and Alexander would avoid Sparta entirely.
SFault

Post by SFault »

Vranca wrote:Not sure what did you mean about the outlines,i don't know where would i add them.
The axe blade blends with its current background. From distance it's hard to tell what he has in his hand.
segmentation fault
EBfW, GtR, Art, Old art
em3

Post by em3 »

To be more specific: the blade of the axe and the helmet in the brightest parts (near highlights).
ride on shooting star
Vranca

Post by Vranca »

I fixed him,so here is a new one,this time inspired with ancient Egypt.How does he look?
Attachments
High priest1.png
High priest1.png (2.23 KiB) Viewed 6313 times
My sprites,My Minitroops
shiremct
Art Contributor

Post by shiremct »

I really like the costuming on this unit, it's very well done. I don't care so much for the strange head and dull grey skin, but I suppose that depends on what sort of creature you are representing. The main thing is it lacks color contrast or variety to visually separate the various elements; Everything blends together too well. This is something I find in most of your sprites... lots of greys and washed out, low saturation colors that leave them feeling a little flat. Those Protoss-like fellows looked a HUGE amount better with the more varied/saturated color palette and I think this would as well. A darker skin color would really make all the lighter colored clothing elements pop out here.

Another thing to note is that it's quite small and especially thin, particularly the waist. The concept is very solid; I'd very much like to see it brought out just a little bigger for better detail, but, again, I guess it depends what you are trying to represent.
Vranca

Post by Vranca »

Thanks,you're right i need to pick better pallets.Here is he fixed :D
Attachments
High priest4.png
High priest4.png (2.47 KiB) Viewed 6240 times
My sprites,My Minitroops
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

I may have two comments:

I'd have pictured an egyptian priest/mage/thing with an ankh rather than some kinda shepherd staff... Or maybe a cobra staff. But it's your call, really, I dunno...

Also, I feel like he is lacking something in the head area. Maybe some kinda egyptian priestly hat? Or maybe the pharaoh thing, depending on what unit that sprite is supposed to be exactly...
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
Vranca

Post by Vranca »

Thanks for the suggestions,i like him bold,but i might give him some headwear.As for the staff i did draw the ankh first but it looked too big so it looked a bit strange ,so i gave him this(which if you look at the picture you provided is the same staff i just made it bigger :wink: ).
My sprites,My Minitroops
Vranca

Post by Vranca »

Dixie wrote:I may have two comments:

I'd have pictured an egyptian priest/mage/thing with an ankh rather than some kinda shepherd staff... Or maybe a cobra staff. But it's your call, really, I dunno...

Also, I feel like he is lacking something in the head area. Maybe some kinda egyptian priestly hat? Or maybe the pharaoh thing, depending on what unit that sprite is supposed to be exactly...
Well i realized i can draw the ankh,without looking big,and here is some headwear :)
Attachments
High priest alt1.png
High priest alt1.png (2.37 KiB) Viewed 6152 times
My sprites,My Minitroops
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

FOr what it's worth, I think it's much better, although I would perhaps make the ankh little bigger and put some TC on the headwear. And yeah, I had noticed the picture I attached had a stick much like your previous, but I still thought a ankh more fitting ;)
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
Vranca

Post by Vranca »

This one took some time.crit welcome!
Attachments
Anubite.png
Anubite.png (3.23 KiB) Viewed 6083 times
My sprites,My Minitroops
em3

Post by em3 »

Woah! :D
I think the sickles could use darker outlines, but otherwise... woah.
ride on shooting star
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

That's some pretty impressive work. I'm especially digging the dynamic pose, which is something that so many people (myself one of the worst offenders :whistle: ) have trouble pulling off.

One thing I've noticed that is present fairly consistently in your art is rather washed-out palettes that are more or less different shades of the same color. Jetrel wrote a post about palette choice a while back that I'd recommend reading; it helped me get out of the shading-with-varying-shades-of-the-same-color mentality, at least to a certain degree.

This palette thing is one of the major differences, in my opinion, between pros and beginners. Get the palette thing down, and your work will automatically be stepped up to another level. :)
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Vranca

Post by Vranca »

Thank you,you are both right.I darkened the outlines of the swords,i tend to give them those light outlines,but they look better darker.
That's some pretty impressive work. I'm especially digging the dynamic pose, which is something that so many people (myself one of the worst offenders ) have trouble pulling off.
:D
I actually read that post a few times and,i correct the pallet when someone mentions it,but i somehow always take those similar colors :annoyed:
I think you were mostly referring to the skin pallet so here's a new one.
Attachments
Anubite.png
Anubite.png (3.35 KiB) Viewed 6029 times
My sprites,My Minitroops