Rebellion in the North:SP Campaign feedback and reviews

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

chak_abhi

Re: Rebellion in the North:SP Campaign feedback and reviews

Post by chak_abhi »

I am in the process of checking the whole campaign on BfW 1.9.5, but it will take some more time as I cannot afford more than an hour a day for this.Anyway,please do not delete the scenarios upto which you have played,you can continue from there on once I have posted the fixed versions.
chak_abhi

Post by chak_abhi »

All scenarios upto scenario 21 (The siege of Dwarven Doors)have been checked and found to be working.Some of the scenarios have been modified to make them more interesting.Enjoy playing!
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

thanks for being diligent! i am playing on 1.9.6 and will report any strangeness.
so far i had to deal with one really stupid AI dwarf leader suiciding against the trolls, while the orcs played fairly strong strategy. i think it was the 3rd or 4th scenario, where you can first recruit mages.

it is interesting seeing the Indian names. are you planning on adding some storyline or text to explain the cultural differences from other names?
the portraits are somewhat jarring but i am sure that will be fixed when an artist gets inspired to help out with this campaign.
chak_abhi

Post by chak_abhi »

tr0ll wrote:thanks for being diligent! i am playing on 1.9.6 and will report any strangeness.
so far i had to deal with one really stupid AI dwarf leader suiciding against the trolls, while the orcs played fairly strong strategy. i think it was the 3rd or 4th scenario, where you can first recruit mages.

it is interesting seeing the Indian names. are you planning on adding some storyline or text to explain the cultural differences from other names?
the portraits are somewhat jarring but i am sure that will be fixed when an artist gets inspired to help out with this campaign.
Thanks for the compliments.
In scenario 3 sometimes the problem with the dwarves occur,but the player is usually saved as the whole region is mountainous for which the dwarves evade most of the blows.Still,if you are that unlucky then the ally dwarf leader will die and you will lose the scenario.

As for Indian names,I must say that as I am an Indian I chose to introduce such names here.The whole matter being fictional I haven't yet planned to add some storyline or text to explain cultural differences.If the campaign gets famous enough and the demand becomes strong I will proceed.

I have tried to provide interesting portraits as far as possible.I am no good artist,and most of the portraits are borrowed from sources I would not like to reveal here(!).Lets hope for the best that an artist will finally help me out with the portraits.
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

in 3_Dwarvish_Alliance, when i slay the orc leader who called for reinformcements, a warning appears in the log:

Code: Select all

warning engine: cannot show message
suggesting something didnt display. replay attached. it felt good to beat two armies of level 2 orcs with a bunch of mostly peasants and level 1 outlaws.

5_Troll_tunnel took me several tries to figure out how to eliminate all the trolls more quickly than the usual safe strategy of letting one at a time through a bottleneck. a nice challenge.

6_Blocked_Ford was quite fun, a different style of play due to the all-mounted units and open terrain. i did rapid advances and retreats based on time of day to capture villages and eliminate the orcs until it was time to cross, then a mad dash across the ford with a few units to distract the sea monsters

in 7_Highbrook_Pass when Krshan steps into the first target keep, a warning appears on the screen. capture attached.
Attachments
RitN-Dwarvish_Alliance_replay.gz
1.9.6 replay
(59.01 KiB) Downloaded 282 times
WML warning during RitN-Highbrook_Pass
WML warning during RitN-Highbrook_Pass
RitN-Highbrook_Pass_replay.gz
1.9.6 replay
(30.11 KiB) Downloaded 310 times
chak_abhi

Post by chak_abhi »

The warning message in scenario 3 (Dwarvish Alliance) does not show up in BfW 1.9.5.Perhaps this is due to some changes made in the version 1.9.6.Anyway,it does not hamper with the games progress.
As with the "[removeitem]" WML,I will modify these to "[remove_item]" very soon.I have left these alone for now as they too don't interrupt the course of the game.
Thanks for the feedback.Such a helping hand is hard to get like yours!

But watching your replay of scenario 3,I must tell that you exhibited the kind of heroism which is uncalled for.You do not need to fight with level 0s and chaotic level 1s only,you had fought 2 scenarios earlier and must have leveled up troops there.You did not also level up Krshan.You got 2 loyal L1s (apart from Aric or Sandrom)in scenario1.You didn't use them either.You won,but paid a heavy price as you lost some L2s and L1s ready to level up.Well, while fighting with Krshan you may try such experiments as he gets a number of skirmishes before the real war.But don't try such things with Aric,try to level up as much troops as possible to avoid being squashed flat in a later scenario!
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

thanks for reviewing my replay! i did not recall the 2 loyal level1s because they died in the very first scenario. stupidly i was in too much of a rush to finish that one.
actually i would like to see a campaign someday where any peasants recruited in scenario1 and recalled and leveled up later on would become loyal.
yes i may have to go back to replay 6_Blocked_Ford because i did not level up any units except Aric and in fact lost about 4 :(
chak_abhi

Post by chak_abhi »

All scenarios upto scenario 27 have been checked.Some modifications have been made.Please not these and make constructive suggestions for improvement.
The final battle scenario is left.It will take some time due to its lengthy character.
chak_abhi

Post by chak_abhi »

All the scenarios have been checked and are found to be in fine condition.Now only a few minor issues remain,which will be sorted out very soon.
But one thing is still deficient,one big thing.I have no idea how to prepare a tracking map.Can a tracking map be prepared for this campaign which has such extensive branching?I will be very grateful to the person(s) who can help me out.
Have a good time with my campaign.Any suggestions for improvement are most welcome.
sw_emigre

Post by sw_emigre »

Hi there, I'm playing Normal on 1.9.4, and think it's pretty cool. I do agree with a previous comment, that it may be better off as 2 campaigns. Sometimes it's hard to remember the thread of either my general or Aric, since it may have been a week or so since I last saw them, depending on how often I play. The back and forth gets a bit confusing.

I'm stuck on Mission Dorset. Started with 386, and I have a stacked recall list (though only 2 white mages). I really can't see how unless I had a ton more cash (and maybe a 3rd white mage) that I can survive this.

If I were to have to go back and replay to get a new recall list, then I would just give up, since--back to the first point-- I'd have to replay twice as many scenarios to get what I need, replaying all of Aric's ones as well. Is there a replay I can watch?

Good work!
chak_abhi

Post by chak_abhi »

To sw_emigre:
Friend,thank you for playing this campaign.I remember that you had suggested about splitting this campaign.But I am sorry that I remain too busy in my work now and have very little time to reorganise the project.I will try to take up this matter later.

About "Mission Dorset",the idea is to hold your ground at the beginning and charging forward when the enemy attack is weakened.At first the enemy forces attack you (normally the time of day is morning, and you can get away without much damage).Earl Raman's L1s commit some suicide moves.If you position your troops correctly you will deliver a very strong blow to the enemies just at the beginning of the combat.It is prudent to send some veterans to Earl Raman's keep,this will prevent him from being attacked.Dwarvish Lords are the best,they cut the orcish warriors into pieces without suffering much damage,thanks to their strong resistances.You should field about 8 of them.2 White mages are usually sufficient for this scenario,you should keep one of them in your keep and send the other to Earl Raman's keep at the beginning (when you are on the defensive).But 3 white mages are ideal.However you will need more white mages (3-4) later in the campaign.
The attached replay might help you (though I had much more gold).If you want to go back,please try replaying from "Heart of the mountains".You will have to replay only 1 of Aric's scenario (The Pact) which is talk-only.
Attachments
RitN-Mission_Dorset_replay.gz
(85.52 KiB) Downloaded 293 times
sw_emigre

Post by sw_emigre »

Thanks for the quick reply. You say I will need more white mages later on, but the problem is I can't recruit any more, so I am stuck with the 3 I have. (2 white, one arch). I didn't know that I wasn't going to be able to recruit more, and I don't like going backwards, I prefer to play it as it comes. Does this mean I really won't have a chance to finish with the roster I have? (I also don't have 8 dwarf lords, maybe 3, though I have lots of level 1s that I could build up if I need to later on.)

Thanks again!
chak_abhi

Post by chak_abhi »

sw_emigre wrote:Thanks for the quick reply. You say I will need more white mages later on, but the problem is I can't recruit any more, so I am stuck with the 3 I have. (2 white, one arch). I didn't know that I wasn't going to be able to recruit more, and I don't like going backwards, I prefer to play it as it comes. Does this mean I really won't have a chance to finish with the roster I have? (I also don't have 8 dwarf lords, maybe 3, though I have lots of level 1s that I could build up if I need to later on.)

Thanks again!
3 healers at a time will be sufficient.And speaking about Dwarvish Lords,if you have L1 fighters or L2 steelclads you should recall and advance them quickly one by one.Trust me,this will boost your chances in the next scenarios.
The basic layout of this campaign is easy.To make things a bit challenging I have limited recruitment of mages to 3 scenarios and dwarfs to 4 scenarios.I don't think most of the players will like the campaign if it becomes too easy.Please continue playing and I am sure that you will like the surprises that lie in store next!
RavenPL

Post by RavenPL »

Hi!

I'm playing your campaign with Wesnoth 1.8.5 PL version, and this is pretty fun campaign, so congrats. My only real complain would be rather horrible portraits of most characters. :twisted:

However, I've encountered the same problem with "Punishment for treason" as few people had mentioned before. First (blue orc) enemy leader places orc archer in his stronghold and "you have been defeated" shows.

Thought I would share.
chak_abhi

Post by chak_abhi »

RavenPL wrote:Hi!

I'm playing your campaign with Wesnoth 1.8.5 PL version, and this is pretty fun campaign, so congrats. My only real complain would be rather horrible portraits of most characters. :twisted:

However, I've encountered the same problem with "Punishment for treason" as few people had mentioned before. First (blue orc) enemy leader places orc archer in his stronghold and "you have been defeated" shows.

Thought I would share.
About "Punishment for treason" I think the problem is due to some form of problem regarding WML unique to Wesnoth 1.8.5. I had set up the campaign using Wesnoth 1.8.4 and rechecked it using 1.9.5. I faced no such problem myself.All the persons who had reported the problem were using Wesnoth 1.8.5.But there is no way now I can check it in that particular version.My request to you all is to upgrade to the current versions.

Regarding the portraits I can do little.I am not an artist and cannot create good portraits myself.If any artist finds interest in this campaign then only this matter may be taken up.Till then all of us will have to wait.Sorry for that!