Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
LordBob
Portrait Director

Re: Campaign art - Sceptre of Fire

Post by LordBob »

New approach for the elven marshal. I started over and went for a more dynamic posture, but his armour won't change much compared to the earlier sketch.
There's room for improvement in the feet, though I'm not sure how. Other than that, I feel the pose is pretty much there.
Attachments
SoF-elvish_marshall.jpg
SoF-elvish_marshall.jpg (40.83 KiB) Viewed 4590 times
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

definitely dramatic!
the pole is confusing me though. is it meant to be a decorated spear or a banner? elves never use spears so i guess the latter. maybe an artifact+banner. just wondering if it gets in the way while fighting. marshals also have bows so what about using an ornate bow instead, to illustrate the leadership role. the sprites make it look like they have elaborate headdress or really big epaulets.
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Usually, sprites do not dictarte portraits, but I guess this is an exception (well, going to the sprite for inspiration ain't forbidden either, I suppose). Btw, AFAIK what that sprite has is a warbanner, and not some kind of weird epaulets or whatever (no offense meant). I, for one, think this portrait will be insteresting :)
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
Valkier
Art Contributor

Post by Valkier »

Dixie wrote:Usually, sprites do not dictarte portraits, but I guess this is an exception (well, going to the sprite for inspiration ain't forbidden either, I suppose). Btw, AFAIK what that sprite has is a warbanner, and not some kind of weird epaulets or whatever (no offense meant). I, for one, think this portrait will be insteresting :)
Trying to follow the damnable sprites is the chief cause of my frustration in every single portrait I have ever done for Wesnoth. I hope you're wrong if only because it means I've caused myself a ton of unnecessary frustration. Seriously, I have a love hate thing for you right now. I may go cry a little.

The feet look fine to me. The back leg especially is looking just about right, or at least right to the point nobody should give you much grief over. The front foot is fine as well I think. The issue I'm seeing is that the knee is too low, as though it's placed in the middle of where his shin should be. Raise that thing up and I bet the issues you're seeing will be resolved.

Looking good. I love that you're starting to do backgrounds with these. I think it's really helping you make these portraits look better to have that extra information. Working on portraits with just a flat white or grey or transparent really does a lot of harm I've found. Keep it up. :D
Win if you can. Lose if you must. But always cheat.
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Well I might be wrong, but I thought I had read that somewhere once... Still, the portrait has to be associable with the sprite, for example portrzying Haldric without his trademark striped pants might be wrong, but I think it shouldn't be an absolute. Take LB's troll wip, for instance: no actual sprite has a club/hammer like the one shown, neither do they have coloured "loin-cloths" (wasn't sure what word to use to designate it), as far as I can remember.

Anyway, hope I haven't derailed the thread too much; sorry if so :S
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

Valkier wrote:
Dixie wrote:Usually, sprites do not dictarte portraits, but I guess this is an exception (well, going to the sprite for inspiration ain't forbidden either, I suppose). Btw, AFAIK what that sprite has is a warbanner, and not some kind of weird epaulets or whatever (no offense meant). I, for one, think this portrait will be insteresting :)
Trying to follow the damnable sprites is the chief cause of my frustration in every single portrait I have ever done for Wesnoth. I hope you're wrong if only because it means I've caused myself a ton of unnecessary frustration. Seriously, I have a love hate thing for you right now. I may go cry a little.
While it has to be recognizable as the sprite, and it can't have anything directly wrong with it (a dwarf fighter w/ a bow and arrow, for example), you do not need to follow the details, pose, etc of the sprite.
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

I'm still working on the standard, which will be more of a flag and less of a spear than what was initially sketched. Other than that, barring levels and contrast adjustments to match the mood of the picture, he's mostly done.
Attachments
SoF-elvish_marshall.jpg
SoF-elvish_marshall.jpg (39.78 KiB) Viewed 4224 times
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

small thing: the bottom corner of his cloak seems to be stuck to his sword now - maybe he is using the sword to fling it open?
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Cape edge cut accordingly to the latest comment. I believe he's finished as far as Wesnoth is concerned (which leaves me to work on the background, now).
The dimensions aren't exactly canon (400*600), however the complementary height (which, according to the Rithrandil experiment, shouldn't raise a problem) is only there to accomodate for the flag. The proportions of the body are the same as for any other portrait.
Attachments
SoF-elvish_marshall.png
Djehuty

Post by Djehuty »

Hi.

Another detail. The hand that holds the pole is grabbing the pole has if it was leaned towards the viewer, so we should see the flags and the tip of the pole almost from up / looking at it from top to down / the tip in the direction of my forehead (if this is not a good description I'll try to do a better one. can't draw because of some kind of bug in my OS), but that is not happening. The flags and tip of the pole are seen almost from the front.
Maybe the hand should be more rotated, and more of the back of the hand should be seen.

About the cape, the corner you've changed seems to me too short now and flat. Your first version (in which it crossed the sword) looks better.

Hope this is useful :)
Djehuty
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

To do a quick inventory, it looks to me like the following are not done:
Alanin (2-3 portraits)
Old Haldric II
Khrakrahs

And the following are done:
Young Haldric II (from LoW)
Baglur
Durstorn
Rugnur
Thursagan
Unnamed Elvish Marshal

Naturally I can't read lordbob's mind, so I'm not sure about that "finished" list. We might be ready to start committing soon-ish, though, which always rocks. :D
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Yup, you've nailed it perfectly. I'm currently working on Alanin ^_^
Though on second thought, I'm considering doing only 2 portraits for Alanin and a spare emotion for Rugnur, after some background reading reminded me that he's the main character. But the latest shouldn't prevent us from comitting whenever ready. :whistle:

Edit: WIP for Alanin
Attachments
SoF-alanin.png
SoF-alanin.png (178.98 KiB) Viewed 3805 times
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Further progress on shading.
I'm currently trying to learn a new, more painterly approach, hence the (temporary) lack of lines and a portrait that should have a very different feel from my usual stuff.
Attachments
SoF-alanin.jpg
SoF-alanin.jpg (30.95 KiB) Viewed 3705 times
Frogger5

Post by Frogger5 »

Very nice. :shock: I would love to see that in a non compressed jpg though. :wink:
My spritework can be seen here.

Want to play Roll 2 Dodge, or even start your own game?http://rolltododge.freeforums.org/index.php We need you!
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Well it'll be in a rather large png once it's finished.