2 questions (well one and a bug report?)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

mage.of.light

2 questions (well one and a bug report?)

Post by mage.of.light »

Hey,
first, I am working on some scenarios, not that they have a real big bearing on BfW but am I supposed to be putting them somewhere? i mean are there rules? ;)
and 2, I played the, uh, rise of wesnoth is it? which is a good campaign, but later when you are supposed to get that leutenant to stay with you and.. do.. something.. at the end? well the last 3 or 4 lvls, I never had him, and, its hard to win without him ;) (impossible)
thanks
check out -=<(my sig!)>=- and my old LOTR sig.
mage.of.light@gmail.com (I have 140 gmail invites just pm)
"Wesnoth while you work!..."
Shade

Well

Post by Shade »

Well I can help you with the Rise of Wesnoth part (Well, I should be able to, I wrote the thing). This should be fixed in .8.5. If you search Tech Support there should be a hotfix or two in there for version .8.4. I'll re-test under .8.5 to make sure the bug is gone... Either way this will be fixed for .8.6.

As far as your 'How to Build' campaigns request goes, I'd reccomend getting version .8.5, downloading a user campaign, and doing what they do :)
Note to forum users: You are in a maze of twisty little passages
mage.of.light

Post by mage.of.light »

oh no, I went copying scenarios and crap and learned how to do it, but I wondered if I needed to publish them or whatnot under 'wesnoth rules' cuz I heard a discussion about it. I am kind of a programmer so I can eaily make units and levels and stuff. thanks anyway.
cool though, I played it in 8.4 so it prolly is fixed. tRoW rocks shade, good work, I love the use of all units.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

this is something that IMHO there should be documentation on... right now there seems to be no information on .pbls, correct campaign format, etc. its assumed that you have read the forums and dragged up dave's post about the campaign server before you create a campaign. (and obviously .pbls could not be downloaded with user campaigns, since they contain the campaign's passphrase.)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
mage.of.light

Post by mage.of.light »

hehe oops! didn't really do either of those, just noticed it was written in plain text, so I started working ;P
.pbls is.... ?? (sorry for my idiocy)
Shade

Post by Shade »

PBLs are outlined here:
http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... hlight=pbl

In addition to PBLs I'd reccomend upgrading to .8.5 & downloading a user campaign or two (It has a nice frontend now). Additional things that might be of interest to you are:

http://wesnoth.slack.it/?ReferenceWML
http://wesnoth.slack.it/units.cgi
http://wesnoth.slack.it/?DeveloperResources
http://wesnoth.slack.it/units.cgi?movetypes
mage.of.light

Post by mage.of.light »

hey thanks,

don't worry, I have had 8.5 since it came out, although it kinda screwed with my campaign showing up, quit changing the game.cfg file! :P jk

thanks for the idea, but why user campaigns and not just the ones like httt and trow like I have looked at? just asking are there differences?
Shade

The reason

Post by Shade »

The reason why I suggested looking at user campaigns was to get the directory structure right. Other than that the mainline scenarios might (and I mean MIGHT) have safer WML to follow.
mage.of.light

Post by mage.of.light »

cool, thanks shade
mage.of.light

Post by mage.of.light »

doe sit slow up anything to have 'bad' wml code? it doesn't seem like a memory intense game, but on a slower computer, would it confuse things?
Shade

By saying

Post by Shade »

By saying user campaigns might have worse WML to learn from I didn't mean to make it sound like it it was grossly inefficient or buggy per say, it's just that it's had fewer eyes on it. That being said, the WML parser always treated my WML with reasonable efficiency... The things that tend to be the most punitive are things that, oh say, do a complex repeated iteration over a series of tiles, or anything that causes a huge amount of debugging output on the console... Basically poorly executed opaque search / sort / modify type routines that any intro to programming class would teach about should probably also be avoided in WML... Then again I've never seen anybody replace working WML in favour of more optimised but untested WML, so finding the most efficient solution shouldn't be as high a priority as finding one that works well and is 'human readable' (at least by the author), IMHO.
mage.of.light

Post by mage.of.light »

yeah, I was just wondering (not doubting) how efficient the WML parser was. I figured as long as it works correctly, it is good enough. In some languages though it is otherwise, sometimes it works, but can really slow things up. =)
ott
Inactive Developer

Post by ott »

Please be careful with your WML: campaigns can create new units that bleed into existing campaigns, and who knows what other kinds of fun stuff can happen. See http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 8179#48179 and http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 8307#48307 for an example.

Anyone for file scoped WML?
mage.of.light

Post by mage.of.light »

hey

yeah I read those completely :oops: .. not...
I am being careful though, anything I make I make it open to everything, not just particular places. nothing is proprietary, all open-source :)

*laughs at idea of others using his stuff*