Setting DPI?

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
Guayasil

Setting DPI?

Post by Guayasil »

In my new notebook I have 1600x900 14" display and game details are hardly visible. I can set other (than the native one) screen resolution but the image gets a little bit blurry. Is there any way to set DPI to (for example) 120 or 140 and use native resolution with larger game details?
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Re: Setting DPI?

Post by ivanovic »

Guayasil wrote:In my new notebook I have 1600x900 14" display and game details are hardly visible. I can set other (than the native one) screen resolution but the image gets a little bit blurry. Is there any way to set DPI to (for example) 120 or 140 and use native resolution with larger game details?
No, you can't. Every available way to "increase" the images size will lead to some blurryness. When changing the resolution, the display has to interpolate, so it will be blurry because of this. Ingame itself, when using the native resolution, you would have to zoom in, then the algorithms would lead to stuff being blurry (and the sidebar would *not* be zoomed in!). There is no way to increase the size of the stuff display without things getting blurry, because wesnoth is not based on 3D models / vector graphics.
Guayasil

Post by Guayasil »

May I suggest such feature request? I'm afraid that small hi-res displays are getting more and more common.
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

It will still be blurry, simply because how the game and its graphics works! It is technically not possible to have a way that the graphics don't get blurry when changing their size!
Guayasil

Post by Guayasil »

I mean: designing alternative (larger) bitmap sets or svg as a basic format for graphics
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Guayasil wrote:svg as a basic format for graphics
This is basically asking Wesnoth to switch its first and current art style (pixel art) to something else.

Not going to happen.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Guayasil

Post by Guayasil »

And how about a few pixmap sets: small, normal and large?
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Crendgrim »

Code: Select all

crend@grim:~/.data/wesnoth-1.9.6/data/core/images> find -not -type d | wc -w
If you really want to re-create all 8428 files, go ahead. But please keep in mind that that's only the core files. There are also many add-ons and built-in campaigns which aren't counted in.

Crend
UMC Story Images — Story images for your campaign!
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

You might try zooming the game in and out.
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

Yeah, Wesnoth is a pixel art-kind-of game, its genre hearkening back to old-style strategy games of yore. The drawback is it’s not resolution independent.

One good option is switching your resolution on your display to a lower resolution, say, 800x500 or 1280x800, or somewhere in between.
Gambit wrote:You might try zooming the game in and out.
That’s a pretty good idea, too.

You know, I use Wesnoth on my 15” laptop at 1440 x 900 and I find it to be perfect. The more you play I think you’ll see the importance of seeing even more of the battlefield. But, I suppose in the end, it’s personal preference to each person.
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
dragonfi

Post by dragonfi »

One viable alternative could be an integer scaling factor.
If every pixel on the picture corresponds to a 2x2 (or 3x3, 4x4, etc.) area on the screen, than there will be no blurrines.

I didn't read the wesnoth code myself, but a naive implementation would render to an offsceen surface, scale it up (with an integer argument), then blit it to the real screen/buffer.

A more complicated, but relevant algorithm: http://scale2x.sourceforge.net/

[SILLY]
Or, if you like hacks, you could scale up the window in a composing window manager.
OpenGL is really good at that kind of stuff. :P
[/SILLY]