Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Mefisto
Art Contributor

Re: Campaign art - Sceptre of Fire

Post by Mefisto »

The shading of Thursagan looks perfect for me.

I would give to Baglur slightly more shiny skin on his baldness and cheeks. Also his armor gives na impression that is less shiny than the armours you drew earlier. As if it was made of plastic or lacquered metal.
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

New version of Baglur that should address every problem hitherto raised. Unless I've missed anything blatant, I'm calling him final.

Edit: and while I'm at it, the long-awaited chainmail tutorial has finally been updated
Attachments
SoF-baglur.png
SoF-baglur.png (179.3 KiB) Viewed 5504 times
Reepurr

Post by Reepurr »

*cheers for the chainmail tutorial* :)

I regret to say that I spotted something I really, really should have spotted earlier. If you look at the sword hilt, the crossguard (am I reading that tiny white blob next to the hilt right?) seems at a different angle to the actual hilt itself. :?
"What do you mean, "a dwarvish dragonguard with marksman is overpowered"?"

Story of a Drake Outcast | The Nonsense Era
Played HttT-Underground Channels? Thought it was rubbish? Help us develop it here!
Scaeb

Post by Scaeb »

Now that you say... the know seems to be lighted from the bottom right.
kitty
Retired Portrait Director

Post by kitty »

Yes, Baglur looks fine to me now! How many more do you have to finish for SoF?

And thanks for the chainmail-tut! It's quite insightful to see how differently one can approach this tricky subject – I'll try to incorporate parts of your technique in my next chainmail for sure! In the very last step you describe making a brush - how about uploading it ? (just to spare me some time :P)
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Finished Thursagan's shading.

Re: Kitty Based on the cast initially planned, I'm left with :
- Alanin (the main character), with an extra portrait for later scenarios, when supposedly 15 years have passed.
- Not-named-yet elvish marshall that will serve as a recurrent enemy throughout the earlier stages of the campaign
- An older version of king Haldric II for later scenarios (his portrait at the start of the campaign being the one you made for Legend of Wesmere)
- The fire dragon, which I will enjoy immensely :twisted:

Edit: yup, I realized that just after posting and fixed it. :)
Attachments
SoF-thursagan.png
SoF-thursagan.png (201.06 KiB) Viewed 5164 times
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Crendgrim »

Just a very small nitpick: Between his hand and his head is a semi-transparent circle. I don't think that this is intended.

Crend
UMC Story Images — Story images for your campaign!
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

I love this pic.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
kitty

Post by kitty »

Really, really cool! I love the bags under his eyes!

And your list got pretty short by now :) I look forward to seeing your depiction of an older version of "my" Haldric!
SFault

Post by SFault »

thespaceinvader wrote:I love this pic.
I think this is the best portrait so far. It makes Baglur's face made of plastic. Perhaps less saturation and less yellow could make him more natural...
Attachments
dirty paintover
dirty paintover
baglur.png (79.68 KiB) Viewed 5039 times
segmentation fault
EBfW, GtR, Art, Old art
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Either looks fine, the first just looks less healthy.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Mefisto
Art Contributor

Post by Mefisto »

These portraits are wonderful. Almost like pictures of living persons. And this is interesting to compare the portrait of Thursagan and the portrait of generic peasant. What a progress.
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Leaving behind the dwarves, I'm now switching to our unnamed-yet elvish marshal. For a change, I'm trying to design elvish scale armour (very samurai, you might say). There'll still be fur, floral patterns and shades of green involved, but the result might be quite different from any existing elvish portraits. Dunno if this is alright - if need be, I could replace some parts with the trademark leather plates.

Oh, and his face is obviously not done yet so no need to comment, and his right hand will be leaning on the pole of his banner.
Attachments
SoF-elvish_marshall.png
SoF-elvish_marshall.png (158.92 KiB) Viewed 4774 times
Valkier
Art Contributor

Post by Valkier »

The foot on the left seems a little out of place, sort of like he is holding it off the ground and splaying it out a bit. The boot on our right has a pretty clear ellipse on it, showing that it is lower than eye level. The boot on the left however has a straight line, making it appear angled a bit. It gives the illusion that he's standing on one foot. Now if you intend to have him propping it up on a rock or something, disregard this.

The other problem I see is the arm holding the flag pole. Because of the sleeve, it appears his angled away from us drastically. While this is physically possible, it is extremely uncomfortable. I know that that part of his body is rolling away from us, but the angles just don't seem to quite match up.

The rest of it looks good. Kind of sad he won't have a skull for a face. On the other hand I'm kind of happy to see the DaVinci approach to drawing the figure hasn't completely lost its influence. :D
Win if you can. Lose if you must. But always cheat.
kitty

Post by kitty »

LordBob wrote: Dunno if this is alright - if need be, I could replace some parts with the trademark leather plates.
That looks very interesting and promising to me -and very much alright! I look very much forward to seeing how this will tun out, but if this works I can definitely imagine incorporating scale armour elements in my future rework of the generic elvish portraits!