Random Traits: Now they tell me!

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Fulk d'Anjou

Random Traits: Now they tell me!

Post by Fulk d'Anjou »

OK. First off, let me repeat that I'm not nearly as bright as most who play this wonderful game.

That being said, I just found about these random 'traits' that my recruited units are assigned upon creation. I found out by reading the Paladin vs. Grand Knight thread.

Now I've been playing this game about 6 months and this is the first I've heard of such a thing! Is it in the manual? Yeah, there it is. Sheesh. Well I'm old and not from this era anyhow. Such things must be accepted.

Fulk is King!
Hex is Queen!
Fortify

Post by Fortify »

It was a while before I picked up on the random traits also. I don't think it mattered to my enjoyment of the game until I was struggling on the tougher scenarios and was looking for that extra edge.
The shovel saves more lives than the sword.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Knowledge of random traits isn't really necessary at all to play the game.

The idea of traits is just to make each unit a little different, so that units of the same type aren't exactly the same.

We could have hidden the implementation, and simply said "each unit is unique, and has slightly different stats from other units of the same type".

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
telex4

Post by telex4 »

Dave wrote:Knowledge of random traits isn't really necessary at all to play the game.
Ah, that's good :) All this time I've been feeling like I ought to pay attention to them, when I'm just too lazy to bother!

It took me a while to take the time of day into account, after all ;)
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

only trait that really matters is quick, because if you just move it as far as possible each turn, it will get several hexes in front of the others.
telex4 wrote:It took me a while to take the time of day into account, after all ;)
now THAT is important! :P
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

turin wrote:only trait that really matters is quick, because if you just move it as far as possible each turn, it will get several hexes in front of the others.
telex4 wrote:It took me a while to take the time of day into account, after all ;)
now THAT is important! :P
The only trait that matters is loyal, cause at high level this significantly reduces your upkeep cost.
The onlt trait that matters is intelligent, cause your unit will get to high level faster.
The only trait that matters is...

Paying attention to traits is certainly not a necessity, however to reach a master level of play, you will need to take such things into account.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

I meant quick is the only thing that can actually cause you harm if you're not careful. They have less health, and move quicker too, which can get them ahead of the group if you just move max every turn.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
autolycus

Post by autolycus »

Darth Fool wrote:The only trait that matters is loyal, cause at high level this significantly reduces your upkeep cost.
The onlt trait that matters is intelligent, cause your unit will get to high level faster.
The only trait that matters is...

Paying attention to traits is certainly not a necessity, however to reach a master level of play, you will need to take such things into account.
I like loyal - for a long game or campaign, it is probably the most powerful strategic trait. Intelligent levels off after a while - at L3 for most units. Quick is potent; as someone said, "The winner is the one that gets there first-est with the most-est." :wink:
as kingfishers catch fire
so dragonflies draw flame
-GMH
eugenelim

Post by eugenelim »

autolycus wrote:Intelligent levels off after a while - at L3 for most units.
Looking at it from a different perspective, intelligence is actually a big advantage.

In long campaigns, you get a heavy hitter faster, that means you have early unit(s) to dish out the strong blows and the XP can be saved for other units.

In MP on some map settings, intelligence means a faster L2 unit.
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

eugenelim wrote:In long campaigns, you get a heavy hitter faster, that means you have early unit(s) to dish out the strong blows and the XP can be saved for other units.
In HttT you can also get Captians quickly, which are very good for levelling stuff.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Dacyn

Post by Dacyn »

of course, the point of this thread is to know which traits are worth paying attention to.
Strong- The important thing to know about this trait is that it is bad for ranged units.
Resilient- important because you should target units that do not have this trait, as they will be killed more easily but deal the same amount of damage.
Quick- as turin mentioned, it makes it more necessary to know how to keep an army of varying speeds in formation, but if you know how to do that, you don't need to know about the trait
Intelligent, Loyal- these are important for knowing which units you should level