A Tale of Peasant Campaign

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Elmor

A Tale of Peasant Campaign

Post by Elmor »

Hello, i want to make puper-puper-mega-ultra campaign, with RPG, but I haven`t enough skill with wml

Plot: small peasant living in a small village, angry bandits attacks his small village, peasants gives them a punch, but hero`s father is dead and bandits took his family "thing" (must be something expensive for peasant but not too expencive at all :D).
Peasants gather militia and goes to revenge them at their camp. Bandits defeated, but leader of bandits unfortunally runs away through secret door in cave (or something). Hero finds a track to him (somehow, may be 6th sense?) and going to find that bandit leader. Now the adventure begins (literally, in game that will be past 2 scenarios) and he does not expect where it will get him...

Idea: campaign must be totally non-linear. For, example, when hero going to go to bandit camp he will decide what weapon he prefer: pitchfork, club or bow (yes, this is not a big deal, but it`s just example). There must be tons of quests, locations and other. Locations mostly must be smoll, such as party of hero. Must be classes, skills, mercenaries and other. I want to make able take classe not for levelling, but for quests, visiting locations and something like that. Hero wiil not level up to higher level, but will get skill points, which he can spend, depending on his class.

That`s what I want to do. I`m not newby to wml, but not so good, I want to be (such as english). If someone wants to help me with it I`ll be glad. So, anyone?
Boldek

Re: A Tale of Peasant Campaign

Post by Boldek »

so, how can I help you in wml?
Guys I never thought I'd come back to this forum after 8 years this is wild
Elmor

Post by Elmor »

In the beginning there are 2 problems: i cant make custom units able in campaign and since ive added units.cfg with movetypes there are errors
here what i got for now
Attachments
A_Tale_of_Peasant.7z
(93.1 KiB) Downloaded 115 times
Boldek

Post by Boldek »

I don't see any errors at first glance, but why do you have a file called units? can you explain what sort of error you're getting? is it "unknown unit" or what?
Guys I never thought I'd come back to this forum after 8 years this is wild
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

Boldek wrote:I don't see any errors at first glance,
You ought to take a look carefully. This campaign takes a time to fix all errors.
Boldek wrote:why do you have a file called units?
That is for his additional race. It does not work though because he has not added a code on the main file in the [+units] tag. Even after adding it, I think you need to fix some to make it work. --> EDIT: I may be wrong because it is in the units folder. :hmm:

Defense animation macros are also not right for some units.
You may need to re-compose the entire campaign.
----------

EDIT: Okay, Boldek and Elmor.
You can start from here.
It works at least on 1.8.5 and 1.9.6. I am not sure that all code works fine or not, yet, and I have not fixed some minor errors.
Attachments
A_Tale_of_Peasant.zip
(127.34 KiB) Downloaded 104 times
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
Northern Forces - now on 1.12 server
Elmor

Post by Elmor »

looks like what i have to do is just add folders with units to _main.cfg?
well, it works nice, thx
i`ll report later
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

Elmor wrote:looks like what i have to do is just add folders with units to _main.cfg?
Right, but you can also remove the folders in the unit folder, like the attachment because you do not have much unit-files. In that case, you can keep the previous code on the main-file. And fix defense anim. for Bandit Leader and elmorpeasant1.
The unit names and id had better start with capital letters to avoid any errors on all operating systems, so is scenario id.

Actually, I have added an extra code that is:

Code: Select all

{~add-ons/A_Tale_of_Peasant/units/units.cfg}
It was not necessary in your case, but do you really need a new race for humans? It seems not much different from smallfoot. If you want to change just a resistance, you can add like:

Code: Select all

[resistance]
    arcane=100
[/resistance]
on your unit file.
Attachments
in the units folder.png
Last edited by SkyOne on May 21st, 2011, 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
Elmor

Post by Elmor »

ye, i know i can add this, but in future i will really need separate movetype
Elmor

Post by Elmor »

one more question is can i modify unit not just adding new attack or smth like that, but change image and animations for it?
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Crendgrim »

UnitTypeWML
All this you can do.

Crend
UMC Story Images — Story images for your campaign!
Elmor

Post by Elmor »

yes, sorry, but I`m not so good in english, I can`t find somethigng about unit modifying, including picture and animations change
Elmor

Post by Elmor »

now I`ve got another problem: custom movetypes doesn`t works
races are still ok, so I don`t know what`s wrong
Attachments
A_Tale_of_Peasant.7z
(95.54 KiB) Downloaded 103 times
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

Elmor wrote:one more question is can i modify unit not just adding new attack or smth like that, but change image and animations for it?
It seems you solved this question by using the transform unit macro. In the case, use the edit button, then tell us it solved (as long as you are saying like: -"I can use the [object] tag to add a new attack and animations, but I am not sure how to change whole images of a particular unit").
Elmor wrote:now I`ve got another problem: custom movetypes doesn`t works
races are still ok, so I don`t know what`s wrong
Of course, the unit cannot move with movement_costs=10. :)
unit's movement / movement_costs = actual movement on the terrain.

My suggestion: Relax.
Elmor

Post by Elmor »

sorry, I will. But it`s not actually solved. Isn`t [modify_unit] for 1.9 only?

Yes, I wantred that unit not to move, so made his movement costs 10, but it wasn`t worked from units.cfg file, so I added in [unit_type]
and movement costs still doesn`t works

One more thing: I want unit to get additional hp instead of advancement, also I want unit to keep theese hp after modifying to another unit
I see I can make it with storing hp in variable and then replacing old unit with new, but I don`t know which event to use, since modifying is not advancing and poast advance will not work with that.
So now I got one more problem, can You help me with this? :whistle:
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

Elmor wrote:Isn`t [modify_unit] for 1.9 only?
On that particular tag, yes, it only works on 1.9.x currently AFAIK, but MODIFY_UNIT macro still works on both 1.8.x and 1.9.x.
Elmor wrote:Yes, I wantred that unit not to move, so made his movement costs 10, but it wasn`t worked from units.cfg file, so I added in [unit_type]
and movement costs still doesn`t works
To test it, change the movement_costs to 1 or 2 for the unit that you want to modify. The unit.cfg file works on mine.
Elmor wrote:One more thing: I want unit to get additional hp instead of advancement, also I want unit to keep theese hp after modifying to another unit
I see I can make it with storing hp in variable and then replacing old unit with new, but I don`t know which event to use, since modifying is not advancing and poast advance will not work with that.
So now I got one more problem, can You help me with this?
Any event makes it work. It just depends on when (or how) you want to modify the unit. You have something conditions, right?
If it does not work, something is wrong on the code.

P.S. I thought you and Boldek work together on this campaign. They don't?