Re: Swamplings - v1.1.7 - for 1.8 and 1.9

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

boru

Re: Swamplings - v1.1.5 - for 1.8 and 1.9

Post by boru »

perseo wrote:I'm playing it on ubuntu 1.8 and the event might be happen cause of the changing of recalling list for the leaders (to eep in previous scenario). I discharge the units and know they don't appear in the save file, sorry. Why don't you try to kill this units in thunderstrook scenario.
Because this bug doesn't happen every time. In fact, I've never personally experienced it. I know it exists because others have reported it to me.
perseo wrote:Other question: Who did the story drawings of the city, the gate, the waterfall, and the moon? And how? Whi what kind of drawing material?
JAP is the artist who did the original photo manipulations. You can read a little about his work here: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... 74#p260074
“It is written in my life-blood, such as that is, thick or thin; and I can no other.” - J.R.R. Tolkien

My campaign: Swamplings - Four centuries before the founding of Wesnoth, the first wolf rider emerges from a tribe of lowly swamp goblins.
The Black Sword

Post by The Black Sword »

Hey, I've been playing through this campaign and its been quite fun so far.
I just thought I'd mention the one criticism I had. In the 2nd scenario the new monsters appearing after you kill the saurian are a quite annoying tomato surprise. Misris was down to very low hp at this stage, enough to be killed by the bat, and my units couldn't cover her because they'd just spent the turn attacking the saurian. I had to put a wolf in a very tempting position(he died) and even then I was lucky the bat didn't just go for Misris instead.
I'd suggest waiting a turn before the other units appear and after the saurian dies say something like; "We still need to be careful, there are more creatures in these areas."
boru

Re: Re: Swamplings - v1.1.5 - for 1.8 and 1.9

Post by boru »

Thanks, can you tell me what difficulty level you're playing on? I may add more goblins to the beginning, for easy games.
“It is written in my life-blood, such as that is, thick or thin; and I can no other.” - J.R.R. Tolkien

My campaign: Swamplings - Four centuries before the founding of Wesnoth, the first wolf rider emerges from a tribe of lowly swamp goblins.
perseo

Post by perseo »

I've finished the campaign but when the epilogue starts the game crashes and shut down repently.
"I was pulling a barrow, when I saw a stalking horse
what a beautiful day!- he said- for visiting a red herring
and getting hoarse."
Working on this campaign: The septentrional tower
boru

Post by boru »

perseo wrote:I've finished the campaign but when the epilogue starts the game crashes and shut down repently.
Was this in 1.8 or 1.9? Can you post a saved game file?

perseo

Post by perseo »

Here it is the .gz file. I'm playing in wesnoth 1.8.0. Another thing: the last scenario in easy difficult maybe is too easy.
Attachments
S-Epilog.gz
(43.26 KiB) Downloaded 271 times
and getting hoarse."
boru

Post by boru »

I downloaded the file and it ran without crashing on my computer. I'm using a Mac and Wesnoth 1.8.6. What platform are you using: Windows/Mac/Linux? Maybe someone here with a similar OS will be willing to test too.

perseo

Post by perseo »

I'm playing it on linux. When I open it the screen charges (the blue bar) like normally and then it becomes dark and the games closes.
and getting hoarse."
boru

Post by boru »

Perseo, thanks for reporting this.

It's not clear (to me) what is causing this crash. I can't reproduce the crash on my computer. Needless to say, crashes are taken very seriously by the developers, so I have posted a bug report here http://gna.org/bugs/index.php?18145
Another thing: the last scenario in easy difficult maybe is too easy.
Yes, by that point you probably have tons of gold and can recruit as many units you want. I'll give the other side more gold, and we'll see what that does.

EDIT: The latest news on this crashing bug is: it's been tested on trunk in Ubuntu using 1.9 version of the Swamplings. No bug was encountered.

Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

perseo wrote:I'm playing in wesnoth 1.8.0.
Sorry for bumping the thread, but you should really be using the latest stable version (1.8.6 now) before playing add-ons for that branch, since you could stumble upon bugs that have in fact been fixed in later versions already.

Works for me (i.e. no crashing) using 1.8.6+svn (r49711).
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Dunno

Re: Swamplings - v1.1.6 - for 1.8 and 1.9

Post by Dunno »

Hey mate, is it possible to attach the campaign to this thread (or tell me to use the search option better)? I'd be very grateful since last time I tried to download it from the server, after about 15 mins I got "lost connection to the host" error. Thanks!
Oh, I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

You can try downloading the campaign from the add-ons server web interface, at http://addons.wesnoth.org/ , and then unpacking it in your add-ons directory. :wink:
Current maintainer of these add-ons, all on 1.16:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
boru

Post by boru »

Dunno, the search function is pretty simple. I usually just type the name of the campaign I'm looking for and it comes right up. Some users have had trouble downloading directly from the game, so try E_H's link if you need to.

Dunno

Post by Dunno »

Elvish_Hunter wrote:You can try downloading the campaign from the add-ons server web interface, at http://addons.wesnoth.org/ , and then unpacking it in your add-ons directory. :wink:
thanks! :)
boru wrote:Dunno, the search function is pretty simple. I usually just type the name of the campaign I'm looking for and it comes right up. Some users have had trouble downloading directly from the game, so try E_H's link if you need to.
I just meant that if you've already uploaded it somewhere, there surely would be a response like "search the forum yourself and you'll find it!" :wink:
off topic:
Edit: I love it!!! I've played a couple of first scenarios and I'm totally amazed!
Dunno

Post by Dunno »

(bump)
I've just finished the final scenario and decided to give you a rather detailed feedback, since it was a great campaign and it deserves every minute of my time to be reviewed. I'll start with worse stuff, so I don't live a bitter aftertaste :wink:

Suicidal AI
This was mentioned before, but this really is an issue you should work on. It just makes it too easy...

Gold
You really have to do something with gold. Especially after that scenario where you get rewards for assassination. After that scenario you have ridiculous amount of gold to spend on very cheap units. I thought that soon there will be some great battle, but it never came. So I ended up with enormous amount of gold wasted because of carry over percentage. I was playing on medium but it felt like sandbox because I finished every scenario with hundreds of spare gold (that means dozens of units I could have recruited).

Wild animals
At first they were pretty fun, because they were free xp for my goblins but further in campaign they were simply annoying, because they only blocked my units posing no threat whatsoever to my army.

Merman ghost
That was one of those things that annoy player and don't add any real difficulty to the scenario. I discovered that merman with pillager and when she asked me for my leader I've made Clannie leave the battlefield and go back to that stupid merman only to find out it was a ghost who wanted to kill me. I had to load game from 8 turns before :(

Loot ability (bug?)
I've noticed that after you kill someone using loot attack you get an extra turn for your victorious unit. I'm not sure if it's planned or if it's simply a bug.

Dire wolf attacks
I have a silly question. Why does dire wolf unit have two blade attacks, one with lower damage (claws)? It seems like you didn't finish something- perhaps claws should have poison or impact?

That's about it. Overall, it was a great campaign, very enjoyable. Good plot, well made scenarios. It just had this something that makes a campaign special. Very, very, VERY good job! ^_^

One more thing: I've noticed that you lack sprites. Would it be possible to let me try and make some? I've never done it before and because of summer break I have lots of time. Cheers! :)