The Crazy Comeback Cave

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Rigor

The Crazy Comeback Cave

Post by Rigor »

Welcome.

Feel like the game is already over? About to give up? Your dear opponent has tons of units and holds your villages? No way to win?

Then check out the CRAZY COMEBACK CAVE, the place where you will see spectacular comebacks together with mind-grinding tactical decisions, barely surviving leaders, epic fails and much more!
soul_steven

Re: The Crazy Comeback Cave

Post by soul_steven »

I will be the first to post a game for this awesome thread! This one vs the man Rigor himself :D He was all over me with continuous pressure and village grabbing the situation felt lost until (wait for it) A royal guard appeared on the stage! No more spoilers though this is a must see game which shows how even in situations where you are well behind you can still stand a chance even against great players like Rigor. Watch the replay I promise you will not be dissapointed in what you see! 30 turns of nonstop continuous action!
Attachments
vs_rigor.gz
(40.95 KiB) Downloaded 302 times
soul_steven

Post by soul_steven »

I remember a game I watched a while back that I was not involved in that was a perfect example of a hopeless situation that was turned around to a victory. This one between Leocrotta and Horus on Weldyn Channel. It was to the point where Leo gave up every one of his villages. Though when you have rng, a plan, and are leo things can turn around in a instance;) Enjoy the replay
Attachments
20110422184445_leocrotta_vs_Horus_wesnoth-ladder.gz
(41.97 KiB) Downloaded 277 times
pauxlo

Post by pauxlo »

Ah, when I found this thread I first thought it is about a new cave map which makes such comebacks easier.

Rigor, you should add something in the first post that this is a replay collection thread. (Or maybe I'm simply too tired now - I'm going home.)
Horus2

Post by Horus2 »

I remember i was so happy that i can show up the Ultimate Comeback, but then i saw that soul_steven already uploaded it... :lol2:

I think Leocrotta's turnaround was so epic actually that it killed the topic in instance, since people now dare not to upload anything less awesome or comebacks caused by misclick and obvious tactical mistakes. But let me break the silence with this ladder replay i dug up from the near past.
Naovy_SHC_2.gz
Loy (me) vs Elf (Naovy) on Silverhead Crossing
(30.66 KiB) Downloaded 257 times
I was under heavy pressure along the whole game, especially in the center. For the third day village ratio was 3:1 for the rebels and with the aid of his Elvish Sorceress leader he eliminated nearly all my defending units. I had to make something with the surviving guys:

Me the Javelineer, hp is orange,
Lenvan the just-leveled Duelist who failed to catch the retreating Sorceress and now he's feeling ashamed,
Garoddryn the Cavalryman, far away from me, stealing village actually to save my income, his hp is orange too.

That's all. Even looking at the minimap was painful.
No, i didn't try to assassinate the leader if you might think. That would be so cheap.
Instead the Duelist step by step killed his units and i slowly gained back the advantage in the classical way... A bloodthirsty hero worthy to remember his name.

Enjoy!
Horus2

Post by Horus2 »

Another crazy comeback happened right now: me, the fearless orcish horde vs sexelf with chosen sex elves.

Percentages were laughing at me resulting in a 1:11 kill ratio (14:154 in gold) for turn 17. And from that moment miraculous events happened, this time resulting in a loss of nerves, see it for yourself.
sexelf_SSD.gz
Horus vs sexelf on Sablestone Delta
(23.5 KiB) Downloaded 242 times
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

thanks for the very good games you submitted, i enjoyed every one of them (apart of that first game on top that im certainly not gonna watch a second time :mrgreen: ). the last one i saw myself but only from the second half - i am glad that now i have the full story with the whole suffering of poor,poor orcs! as to the game naovy v horus - i couldnt figure out who came back, since both were struggling to keep up with the village stealing units on the flanks and did a damn good job in showing us a really amazing carnage when elves eat meat! needless to say that nani vs horus on weldyn featuring 5-6 archers to hold them against drakes was extra bad and had to be recorded for the afterworld.
soul_steven

Post by soul_steven »

in my unbiased opinion you should watch the first game over and over again since it was just such a amazing comeback. It should be put on the ladder main site for all to see. :lol2:
Horus2

Post by Horus2 »

soul_steven wrote:in my unbiased opinion you should watch the first game over and over again since it was just such a amazing comeback. It should be put on the ladder main site for all to see. :lol2:
Too bad it's broken... :(
soul_steven

Post by soul_steven »

meh:( i got another replay worth putting in here but i cant put that one in either since replay is broken. Hoping to hear from someone who knows how to fix this problem so i can post this awesome replay!
soul_steven

Post by soul_steven »

Have I got a surprise for you guys! I will not spoil this game with any remarks but trust me when I tell you that you will not be wasting your time if you watch this game. Sit back and be amazed at the most amazing ladder game I have ever played.
Attachments
amazing_game_vs_kira1.gz
(53.43 KiB) Downloaded 236 times
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Crendgrim »

I can only recommend the game posted by soul_steven. It's a must-watch; and I really do hope neki will livecast it. :)
UMC Story Images — Story images for your campaign!
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

It may just be that I was watching as an observer, but I was not really sure why you were acting as though it was all such a large turn around :? the flow felt very natural to me. That said, it was still an entertaining match demonstrating a few of wesnoths more interesting dynamics very well.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
soul_steven

Post by soul_steven »

I do not want to give away any spoilers by commenting on why it was a comeback game however if further interested I can explain it in a pm since you already watched the game. That being said maybe the 1v1 replay thread was more fitting. I was more intrigued by the epicness of this game and the basic attack and defend strategies then at any comeback on one side or the other.
soul_steven

Post by soul_steven »

on another note here is a comeback game (This one defiantly belongs here) that was played about 3 months ago that never made its way into this thread. Enjoy this gem.
Attachments
4_dwarves_vs_huge_orc_army.gz
(36.97 KiB) Downloaded 245 times