To Lands Unknown 3.9

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Colouredbox

Re: To Lands Unknown v1.5.3

Post by Colouredbox »

Alarantalara wrote:The version on sourceforge only works with version 1.9.4 or later of Wesnoth. There is a problem with the addon management with such large files. You can get the most recent copy for 1.8 at http://addons.wesnoth.org/1.8/ and following the instructions at the top of the page.
Thank you so much! :D
problem solved
Waiting for cheesedwarfs to be added to ageless.
alluton

Post by alluton »

very nice campaign i like story and all events and all stuff in campaign. And the artwork is marvelous. Actually mby only campaign very terrain is special and really looks like different than 10000 of other maps i have played before. Cause im not native english speaker i dont see any grammar mistakes. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!!

edit: i have big problems whit money almost all scenarios i need to use all money for recruiting and still they are pretty hard.
But i think i got good amount of experienced units. Im on scenario 11 mag-magar and it shows like i got money almost full recruimnet on first turn and nothing else. Now it shows experienced units are hard to keep alive.

edit2: mystical jinn got great attack animation

edit3:(pretty much of these) i think it is possible getting trought of 11th scenario...tought i have been trying for 3hours and new strategy is just an idea.

and finally some new thing also: mby change difficultys names: easy->medium medium->hard hard->very hard
"This game cured me of my real life addiction."
-Flameslash
Wendek

Post by Wendek »

Hello
Alarantalara wrote:The version on sourceforge only works with version 1.9.4 or later of Wesnoth. There is a problem with the addon management with such large files. You can get the most recent copy for 1.8 at http://addons.wesnoth.org/1.8/ and following the instructions at the top of the page.
Huh, using 1.8.5. Both the version in your link and the one on the addon server are 1.4.2 (and there seemed to be a bug, one of the attacks was called "dummy", also "magical arrow" didn't have the magical trait which, iirc, it had in previous version of EoMa). Is there a way to get the newest version for 1.8.x Wesnoth or is 1.9.x required to get the newest version ?
"You see, it's not about what you take with you, it's about what you leave behind." (Turisas, The Bosphorus Freezes Over)
"A man chooses, a slave obeys." (Andrew Ryan, BioShock)
Alarantalara
Art Contributor

Post by Alarantalara »

Version 1.5 and later are only available for for Wesnoth 1.9.x and will only work with 1.9.4 or later due to some recent WML and Lua changes.
See http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... 65#p482529
Wendek

Post by Wendek »

Oh okay. I'll try to install it then. (last time, it produced some conflicts, hence the "try", hehe, i'll have to make sure the data don't collide)

Edit after some play : nice campaign, I like the setting and nice graphics indeed.
However, I think I *may* have found a bug (I say *may* because well, I'm never sure if it doesn't just come from my version/my computer) : I leveled up quickly a Summoner to lvl 3 (he got lvl 3 in the first mission where you see barbarians), Grand Summoner, hoping to get a high-level one asap. And then... his experience capped. I mean, in the "units" menu, there's the normal Grand Summoner, who has an advancement, and this one, who doesn't evolve from anything and can't evolve into anything either.
Actually I just noticed every "summoner" unit is present twice : one is "alone" (no previous unit, no advancement) and one is normal. However, the fire elementals and others are present just once as they should. Huh ?
Did this happen before ? Forgive me but I can't read all the thread :p
"You see, it's not about what you take with you, it's about what you leave behind." (Turisas, The Bosphorus Freezes Over)
PIEWARRIOR

Post by PIEWARRIOR »

yeah this is basically the best campaign ive played lol very good job :mrgreen:
Wendek

Post by Wendek »

New post, because people could miss a second, one-day delayed edit.
I'm starting to think that what I mentioned above is intentional, so I kept playing and didn't regret it, at all. :) But now I came across a *real* bug :
Spoiler:
Should I also attach the stderr.txt file ? A lot of things seem to be related to something else than this campaign (like languages errors), so I don't know if it'll help, other than what I pasted (which is the exact message said in-game, then screen becomes gray as if I had lost).
Once again, I'm not sure if it's coming from the campaign, my version or an interaction between both... but I'm asking 'cause now that I started playing this campaign, I'd very much like to finish it. :p Especially since it's only the beginning and each scenario becomes better than the previous one so far.

Edit : Hum, found a string of errors that might help. I'll paste them :
Spoiler:
alluton

Post by alluton »

i got bug report: in scenario:far north there is objective that if you got great jinn it can upg keep somehow. So i recruited jinn and advanced it to great jinn. Then event occurs and mehir says do new fort then dedylos says amazing. But nothing happens
"This game cured me of my real life addiction."
-Flameslash
jemby

Post by jemby »

Maybe I did something wrong, but when I play the campaign the units can't use any special Era of Magic ability. For instance summon, or the megacircle, or precision... etc.

And when I play a multiplayer map, everything is fine. I can summon, the precision attacks hit with 80% probabilty.

During the campaign, there's no error or exception, every scenario loads perfectly, but without all the special abilities. And at the summoners melee attack it displays STR=dummy.

Can somebody help me with this?
jemby

Post by jemby »

Btw the campaign is wonderful, it's definitely my favourite. :D
sur.nhm

Post by sur.nhm »

jemby wrote:Maybe I did something wrong, but when I play the campaign the units can't use any special Era of Magic ability. For instance summon, or the megacircle, or precision... etc.

And when I play a multiplayer map, everything is fine. I can summon, the precision attacks hit with 80% probabilty.

During the campaign, there's no error or exception, every scenario loads perfectly, but without all the special abilities. And at the summoners melee attack it displays STR=dummy.

Can somebody help me with this?
OS, BFW, EoMa and TLU versions, please. Also, don't double-post. If you have something new to say and your post is still the latest one in the thread, use the edit button.
I'm not really around any more, but you can find me in TvTropes.
PracticalMe

Post by PracticalMe »

sur.nhm wrote:OS, BFW, EoMa and TLU versions, please.
I have the same problem with MacOS 10.6.7 BFW 1.8.5 EoMa 0.13 and the latest version of TLU. I downloaded them on Sat 4/30.

Summoners can't seem to summon in campaign (wasn't able to try it in multiplayer)

Edit: I just tried the change here and it still doesn't seem to work http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... 05#p482955 but I didn't have much time to play with it at work.
Alarantalara
Art Contributor

Post by Alarantalara »

There are at least four reasons why you might find summoners unable to summon (after making the change above):
1) You are trying to use the Novice Summoner or Summoner unit to summon. Only level 3 summoners have the ability.
2) You reloaded using a save other than one from the start of a scenario.
3) You tried creating summoning units with the debug command.
4) The units you are trying to use are from an earlier version and so got saved without a link to the new ability.

If none of the above apply, then please post a save game to help identify the problem.
Wendek

Post by Wendek »

So I realized that the bug I mentioned like two weeks ago isn't problematic at all (since the screen became grey, I somehow thought it had crashed, but it was just the end of the scenario... dumb me), so I proceeded with playing the rest of the campaign. If anyone still cares about feedback from new players, here it is :

Bugs : I encountered the "<invalid UML found>" again in a mission, but nothing happened. Also, I'm somehow wondering if the Water Elemental's healing works as intended : when I had two Water Avatars near each other and on water, they healed 14 hps per turn... shouldn't it be 10 ? (6 from water + 4 from nearby elemental). Then again I'm fine with it because my elemental wall would have broken if they healed less, hehe.
Spoiler:
Graphics : Just... wow. When reading the introduction post, I thought something like "Duh, he must be exaggerating", but... this is really astounding. I had no idea that kind of stuff was possible with the BfW engine, and it prolly demanded hours and hours of work... but the result is here, and it's just beautiful. Too bad I had to disable the rain effect because although it's really well-made, it made my weak eyes suffer a bit, heh.
Also, the unit-design (and the animations) is very nice as well. Special mention for the Rhami line units that all look extremely cool.

Storyline/setting : I liked the oriental background, it's original and interesting. The whole Abyss stuff was nice, as well as the "Great Circle to emigrate" concept itself. It is refreshing to have a campaign directed by something else than the will to destroy a very evil villain, hehe.
Spoiler:
Long story short : liked that part very much, except a few exceptions.

Gameplay : I've always liked EoMa, though last time I had tried (which dates back to quite a long time), it was way too imbalanced. It's a pleasure to have all those abilities (though I heavily dislike the "no-counter-attack" when the enemy got it... hehe), and the whole summoning stuff is very interesting, even if towards the end we don't use it as much. Also liked the fact that we can recruit lvl2's in later scenarios, this is very useful. However I got a question : why can't we recrute lvl 1 earth/air elementals until so late ? It seemed a bit weird to me... you don't consider them that powerful, do you ? (well, I must admit the Earth God is a powerful wall)
As far as scenarios are concerned, the objectives were quite diverse, and except the ones I mentioned above (because I'm not exactly what you'd call organized, duh) they're very interesting. The many events that happen during most scenarios is a big plus.

Overall I really liked the campaign. Not the storyline itself, but more the background/setting, and more generally the universe. Gameplay-wise, it was also very interesting to play.
Thanks for this very nice experience. :D
Spoiler:
bigkahuna

Post by bigkahuna »

Wendek wrote:(though I heavily dislike the "no-counter-attack" when the enemy got it
Inferno - you have a counter-counter-attack? Isn't that rather redundant?
Wendek wrote:Though I expected to see the Abyss... did anyone ever consider a sequel?
Inferno & Co. are working on a sequel IIRC, though not necessarily from the summoner's perspective. An early concept scenario was released to test out the whole idea as well as a gargantuan discussion of mechanics in EoM's faction thread.
Check out my campaign Sweet Revenge!
Join the new R2D forum!