Latin translation...

Discuss and coordinate development of mainline and user-made content translations.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Fog

Latin translation...

Post by Fog »

Has anything been happening with it? I would really like to work on it but I don't know how to get started or who to ask.
Ecce, in caelo! Est avem! Minime, est vehiculum aerem! Minime, est virum Latinum!
Mountain_King
Translator

Re: Latin translation...

Post by Mountain_King »

Does this help any?

AFAIK It is still being worked on. Matter of fact I saw it had been updated only about a week ago.
Projects: Ice Age Fun, Japhel's Journey (same link), Shameless Crossover Excuse (Maintainer), and Age of Dinosaurs!
Is cothabhálach an aistriúcháin Gaeilge mé.
EXTERMINATE!!!!
Deusite
Translator

Post by Deusite »

Yes, it is being worked on by, although Aethaeryn is off exploring the land of GSoC. We're just too fabulous to bother to do anything for 1.8, only 1.9 — even then we've progressed more than what the 1.9 translation statistics say.

This should explain all, including how to get involved.
AKA Marz
Two profiles are better than one
Latin Translator
Fog

Post by Fog »

I am confused as to what GitHub is, and I know that the wiki said not to ask you... But I am at a loss. Do I have to know anything about .po files?
Ecce, in caelo! Est avem! Minime, est vehiculum aerem! Minime, est virum Latinum!
Deusite
Translator

Post by Deusite »

The .po files are where the translations are stored, which means you have to download the files to work on the translations (or at least that's the easiest way). To do that you need an application to open them. We use "Poedit", so then it's just a matter of typing out translated text side by side the original string. Then that file can be sent to the maintainer, who sends off to be put into the next release.

Instead of sending files to the maintainer however we find it much easier to download the files from GitHub and then update the GitHub account instead. GitHub is basically a repository where the entire Latin translation is stored as an alternative to sending to files to Wesnoth straightaway, so we can update the same files and see what the other has done, without translating something someone else has already translated. Then either the maintainer or Espreon can send off the files for the next release. It makes the whole process much faster.

To use GitHub you need to download stuff via the terminal (wherein I become a spoon, since it depends on your OS) and make an account. Then your files can be uploaded to the repository via some commands from the terminal. Asking Cornering Espreon is a very fruitful way of finding out how to download GitHub and use it.

I'm still writing the wiki page...
AKA Marz
Latin Translator
Espreon
Inactive Developer

Post by Espreon »

GitHub is a site that hosts git repositories. Git is a version control system; it allows us to keep track of changes. Since GitHub hosts our git repository, you can just do as you wish... translate... and when you're ready, make commits and push them to the remote repository. Basically, it makes it easier for us to work as a team, and it makes inspecting things far more easy. Just download a git client (if you're on Windows, I guess TortoiseGit would work; if you use Cygwin or anything else, just get the good ol' git client), have it clone the repository ("git@github.com:Espreon/wesnoth-la.git"), translate, run msgcat on the po files, commit, and push.

Running msgcat on the po files before committing is very important, for it keeps the diffs usable. msgcat comes with gettext and poedit. If you're on Windows, just create a batch file (batch files end in ".bat"), and write a bunch of lines so that it essentially runs msgcat on all the po files; run the batch file before committing. If you're on Mac, Linux, or whatever, just run msgcat on the various po files before committing.

Examples:
Example Windows batch file contents:
Example msgcat calls:
If you need help, just join #wesnoth-la on the Freenode IRC network.
Fog

Post by Fog »

I apologize for my late response! Both of your help has been invaluable, and I appreciate it. Anyways, I've gotten some ground on obtaining the ability to work with Github... Right now I'm trying to set my username and e-mail, with no luck. I put in this:

Code: Select all

git config --global user.name "Anthony Holten"
and receive:

Code: Select all

-bash: git: command not found
And I cannot progress further. I am following the direction of this if you'd like to know. I'm not very familiar with IRC, I can get on and type stuff, but does some else have to be on at the same time as me to see what I say? Or are you notified like an IM? Oh! I forgot to say: I'm using a Mac, if that changes anything.
Fog

Post by Fog »

Fink looks very complex to use, as I have to compile the binary for my mac (I am using 10.6 I guess). :shock:
pauxlo

Post by pauxlo »

Google shows me this: OSX Installer for Git when searching for git osx. I did not try, since I have no OS X here (and don't want, too).
Deusite
Translator

Post by Deusite »

Have you looked at this page? I know next to nothing about the land of codiprogrammathingies, but it still wasn't too hard to download.
AKA Marz
Latin Translator
Fog

Post by Fog »

That page was exactly what I was talking about. Right now I am frustrated with terminal and don't really want to play around with it more. I'm trying a different approach that should work, I'll say if it does today.
Alarantalara
Art Contributor

Post by Alarantalara »

Pauxlio's suggestion is simple and does work. If that's not the approach you're trying, it's worth going for it.