1v1 Replays! (THE ARCHIVE)

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ps7

Re: 1v1 Replays! (THE ARCHIVE)

Post by ps7 »

I suggest HGB is still need some fix to weaken rush :) .
Please watch this replay(both picked to test P1 UD vs P2 Drakes here).
Attachments
2p_-_幽霊の泣きわめく悪しき..._リプレイ.gz
(23.94 KiB) Downloaded 432 times
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

ps7 wrote:I suggest HGB is still need some fix to weaken rush :) .
Please watch this replay(both picked to test P1 UD vs P2 Drakes here).
Several will recall a time period when I altered both the keep spacings and the starting TOD to weaken chaotic rushes on HGB. The keeps ended up somewhere in between the extremes (where they were, and where I put them after that), and there was a general consensus among top players that the TOD shift was no longer necessary, so I reverted it to dawn. I'll look into it, but right now, I personally don't think it's a problem. I'd like to hear from some more players on this.
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

BATTLE REPORT

Figure: Witness the resurrection of Rigor in a deeply affecting splatter movie: Orcs vs Drakes on Cynsaun Battlefield

A really grand battle between me and neki! since there are few ladder games on this map i am sure that u will all take a look at how both of us try to wrestle control of each others villages with quite different strategies. I tried to hold them with a few replaceable units that were dying during the whole game, and neki gave way for my orcs to have an early monetary advantage in HIS part of the map without losses because he decided to take me out with reinforcements on the left.

trying to distract him a little with a village stealing wolf he overreacts in the beginning, exposing his leaders position very early in the game - from this point on i knew i would meet no resistance in the remotest corner of the map. a big bunch of units from his side prevented a flooding with units at a later time, so i had to concentrate on pushing him back as far as possible and at the same time being able to reinforce wherever i wished. a troll cut off one way to the left side, and a lot of grunts in villages secured me the east until the end of the game. at this point some obs noted (at the end of the game) that neki had too many troops on the left - id say, not necessarily - if he had less, i would have been more aggressive there.

a little trashtalk is mandatory in our games, so try to press the right buttons on ur opponent while doing so =) neki tried to make me attack him for a meager chance to kill one or two augurs, and thats what u want to do - talk him into it! now u see, both of us have a great reputation as trash-talkers and we know whats up, but maybe ur next opponent is easier to convince. :mrgreen: losing my whole troop body would have cost me dearly in terms of upkeep and the situation to never get those villages back.

nekis "no losses during the night" policy in the west was smart and made it possible to generate lvl2s very safely. going there to try to take him out at whatever daytime would have been not only fruitless because he would be retreating so far that i could never reach him but also i would hand the game to him and let him dictate my troop flows. i couldnt accept such a set-up! this is why i decided to press even more on the south eastern side and make him be so occupied with killing grunts, nagini and assassins that i could stealthily attack and occupy his south and even south-western villages where he had only 2 units to defend. overwhelmed by opposing forces (OPFOR), he couldnt kill everything at one time.

while he was being fed by troops, and me being able to buy more each turn, i started waiting for the right time to attack through the center or alternatively take my villages back in a great wave, but the troops needed to get there first :hmm: . i positioned myself so that i could decide where to go and neki, instead of killing the soon-to-be-pesky southern attackers concentrated on cutting me off/reinforcing on the west/taking my vills in the east.

unfortunately for him i really didnt like to see gliders or fighters taking back my possessions and turning the game in his favor, so i bought nagini in time, turned back to the villages i had and made a quasi-wall there. unable to take out my village-defender in the west during unfortunate turns - yeah, now u can brag about RNG :mrgreen: - his upkeep relief was delayed and that would eventually kill him in the end.

in the meantime the southern forces were scatterig all over the place and taking even more vills. now, instead of taking waiting for day, neki didnt want me to reinforce the meager villages in the west, but wanted the confrontation with his already experienced troops, among them many augurs that, if the mix is right, can send orcs straight to hell.

i cannot tell u how very glad i was that neki finally sought the battle with me in front of my keep and not only that but also during the NIGHT! immediately i withdrew my reinforcements for the west and brought them into battle in the center of the map. i kicked, scratched, and trapped, so that neki would kindly stay in place and let me decimate him by mass instead of class. aborting the attack at this point of the game would have been not only possible, but also the way to go! i was behind in kills BIG TIME and just letting one flamer die there while trying to cover behind a healing wall and reinforcing his troops with daytime fighters would have been the best idea, but u always find out when its too late. his northern troops leveled and killed every resistance up there and he started very slowly to grab my north-eastern villages, which was fruitless because i was counter-pillaging his villages in the south at double speed and started grabbing back my vills in the far west with some replaceable alibi grunts who would certainly soon die again.

so this is where he obviously didnt believe he could win anymore. he continues to play along my strategy, tries to cut losses by bringing in all troops, exposes many of them to mass units form my side, and thats it. leader goes to the east where his lvl2 wont help him a tiny bit and game over for him. if u see the game, and i hope u do, lets try to imagine that at turn 17 u instead build up a strong attack in the east, with lvl2 augurs, and fighters and everything. do u really think i could hold my position at all? i think u had the potential to kill me eeeeeasily during ur TOD but u were too scared that ur lvl2s in the north would have been attacked, and this would have happened too late and at an unfavorable TOD anyways.

so...thats why u lost. and not because of the RNG (was a macro game anyways) or matchup (u had the upper hand during 90% of the game) or map (which is mainline since i joined wesnoth)!

GG thx for reading and i hope u will play the map again someday.in ladder-mode. perhaps with me again. :twisted:

heres the RP

http://wesnoth.gamingladder.info/downlo ... %3A34%3A20

and here the comments

http://wesnoth.gamingladder.info/gamede ... %3A34%3A20
Last edited by Rigor on March 20th, 2012, 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Black Sword

Post by The Black Sword »

Lol, who put that in the map-pack? :P

Nice to see people playing it though, I've played one really good game on Cynsaun, don't know how you guys managed with a 5 min timer!

Loved watching the isolated drake army doing nothing in the north as their leader was surrounded and cut down.
neki

Post by neki »

This map is gay! Rigor, I am surprised you didn't understand that my strategy was non-conventional because I wanted a 3 hour match and not a 7 hour gay camping championship. You can brag as long as you want but I didn't play this the right classical way: holding vills and going with leader east initally. Instead I made a big attacking ball of units in the north-west trying to have some fun and win/lose brutally in approx. a fast time, which for this map fast means 3 hours.

My big ball of units was amazingly unlucky constantly needing 6 units on the first turn and also THE SECOND TURN: that's 2 TURNS Rigor for some measly isolated villaged grunts. Of course you find this game amazing and bla-bla-bla, but you don't take into account that my strategy wasn't serious, I never wanted to win this game, just finish it fast. You cannot "play to win" this game unless you have 7 hours to play this gayish map. Who thought +20 vills maps can be balanced ? How can u even evaluate that ? The game goes like immensely complex and I refuse to wear my brain out playing for the win on such maps. Having 20 vills on a map it's like having to choose from 20 professors for dissertation and they oblige you to put 20 choices on your options' sheet. I mean, WTH ?! Why do you give us the options' sheet in the first place, just give us a random dissertation leader.

Anyways, this was fun as a game between friends, but I will definitely stay away from such maps for ladder play. I will keep experimenting and surprises for the tournament.
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

neki wrote:This map is gay!
I've always thought of it as a heterosexual female, but that's an interesting interpretation.
neki wrote:a 7 hour gay camping championship.
How does one judge that sort of competition?
neki wrote: The game goes like immensely complex and I refuse to wear my brain out playing for the win on such maps. Having 20 vills on a map it's like having to choose from 20 professors for dissertation and they oblige you to put 20 choices on your options' sheet. I mean, WTH ?!
This is the core issue. I made that map for people who *do* want that sort of game. It's not your sort of game, so just don't play on it. :D
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme
Moribund

Post by Moribund »

Funny game I just had with a good comeback. Took like 3 hours. Northerners vs Knalgans, lots of near death experiences and I think like 3 level 3's?

I would love some criticism!
Attachments
long_game_finished.gz
(65.66 KiB) Downloaded 382 times
Orran

How to win a match when you are 10 kills down!

Post by Orran »

I made a game to practice my drake skills today, and fortunately ended up playing against a decent opponent, who got knalgans on random. Having chosen fallenstar as the map, I was confident in the drakes maneveurability. I played very aggresively at all times, so much in fact that I was maintaining a 1:2 kill ratio throughout the 20 turn match. It didnt take me long to start some village stealing shenanigans, sometimes getting upto 15/20 villages on my turn. My opponent managed to get his leader isolated from the keeps, and a long game of skirmisher sacrifice ensued, eventually (after getting a couple of level 2's, and some unlucky deaths) he left the trapper leader on grass with 7 HP and I finished it. Definitely non-standard tactics befitting the drakes.
Attachments
2p_-_Fallenstar_Lake_replay.gz
(26.42 KiB) Downloaded 338 times
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

Moribund wrote:Funny game I just had with a good comeback. Took like 3 hours. Northerners vs Knalgans, lots of near death experiences and I think like 3 level 3's?

I would love some criticism!
ok at the beginning i thought this is a lost case for blue, because i thought he played like a noob. and i felt he had bad luck in the beginning with his gunners. a very good player would not let him get away with this, it would have been over very soon. somehow however, the orcs didnt take the chance, leveled units instead, and had a good position, i cant understand how all of the following carnage could have happened. the game went on for 60 turns, and after 50 turns u said u were playing for only 3 hours, that means u must have moved really fast and maybe didnt consider all possible moves. the situation gradually turned into a slaughterhouse but fortunately for blue, he had always a chance to kill reds leader and so orcs had to protect him accordingly (i dont want to get into spoilers too much here i just say, it didnt work out to protect him all the time).

all in all i would say even though it was not played perfectly from both sides i had a lot of fun, even smirked in real life, and loved to see all of the lvl2 and 3s!!! this is why i would like to give u my personal

Moribund

Post by Moribund »

Haha thanks man. And from the famous Rigor, too! I love watching you on Brutal Wesnoth. Yeah we were both pressed for tine- I had only intended to play for 30 minutes before getting back to studying, haha.

The funny part is it almost turned around AGAIN at the end, but then the guy with a chance fudged it.
Insinuator

Orc woes

Post by Insinuator »

I recently joined the ladder and am having some trouble with a particular matchup. Playing as the Loyalists against the Orcs. I have had three games like this and each one was a loss. I'm not particularly sure what to do against the Orcs. Believe it or not, the replay I've attached is the best I've done so far.

I tried using Heavy Infantry and Cavalry as my main units here. Heavy infantry seem to be good against the Orcs. None of their units have an advantage over them. The only drawback, as may be noticed in the game, is that they're so slow. The Orcs don't have to engage, they just outmaneuver. I like Cavalry because even at night they don't take much damage (excepting Pierce). However, the Goblin Spearman are a cheap neutralizer of Cavalry.

Hints? Suggestions? Criticism?
Attachments
Insinuator_vs_Argentino_-_loss.gz
Loyalists vs Orcs
(22.51 KiB) Downloaded 333 times
leocrotta

Post by leocrotta »

Just a short answer on ...
ezysquire wrote:Drake balance debate anyone?
stated here:
It can look the other way round as well... take a look at this one.
Live long and prosper.
Moribund

Post by Moribund »

Oh man I am terrible at this game. Someone please help me...

I am such a noob. I started this game by attacking at day as Orcs. I followed that up with complaining about luck.
Attachments
lucky.gz
(33.01 KiB) Downloaded 328 times
milwac

Post by milwac »

Please comment on this game and let me know where at all I made mistakes (I can see the obvious ones myself, like attacking at unfavorable TOD and opponent units on 70% defense), I won the game eventually, with some luck. Although my opponent was of the opinion that my luck was extremely good and hence the result was against him.
Attachments
milwac_vs_Radar.gz
(35.41 KiB) Downloaded 303 times
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

This isn't really the best place to be asking for this. These tend to get lost. I'll download it, and make a new thread in strategies/tips where I analyze it.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."