Looking for characters and story writer(s) - Mercenaries

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Neuromancer

Looking for characters and story writer(s) - Mercenaries

Post by Neuromancer »

This is old development thread for the Gloria Victis campaign. Current thread is here.
Last edited by Neuromancer on August 10th, 2011, 9:57 am, edited 14 times in total.
TheGreatRings

Re: Looking for characters and story writer(s)

Post by TheGreatRings »

I might be interested, but I'm not entirely clear on the relationship between the various factions. Mainly, are the humans good guys or bad guys? What about this terrorist group? Are they fighting the humans or allied with them? And so on.

Sorry, I just found this part of your post confusing. Beyond that, it sounds interesting.

Edit: to clarify, since you say you like Elvish Dynasty: are you intending this to be a comedy campaign? I'm not too good at humor, so I probably wouldn't be much help then.
"One man alone cannot fight the future"-
The X-files

"Send these foul beasts into the abyss"-Gandalf
Neuromancer

Post by Neuromancer »

I'm happy to see your response! To your questions:
Humans living in the big southern city (let's name it Imperial city) are rather bad guys ruling with firm hand. They are collecting excessively high taxes from surrounding villages. One day, dwellers from one village decided not to pay those taxes. Response was cruel: Imperials came and burned the village to the ashes. Some guys survived and founded this terroristic group. Soon, they started to grow in ranks, as courageous people from surrounding villages came to their help in fighting the imperium. They are operating in the forests adjacent to the city, assaulting small imperial patrols. But they are too small to make direct assault on the city and because of that, they are becoming desperate, attacking even caravans going to/from imperial city. This is disrupting entire organisation: some members are disgusted, because in their eyes, whole ideals of the group are becoming nothing more then ideological cover for primitive robbing. They are leaving the group and seeking refuge in the vast eastern forests. There they meet remnants of the elves and befriend them. Humans are providing workforce in rebuilding the destroyed civilization and additional protection to the forests; Elves are teaching the humans the art of surviving in the forests and providing safe haven unharassed by imperials. The majority of the organisation still remains in the imperial forests, assaulting caravans and imperial patrols.
So, to answer your question: Humans are both bad (imperials and, to some extent, "terrorists") and good (renegades from the "terroristic" group).

Do you think Elvish Dynasty was comedy campaign? I'm aiming for healthy mix of all genres. For example, Orval (poacher with dim trait) may be comical, even hilarious character; On the other hand, (censored) is somewhat mysterious character, always cogent and focused on the mission. Every character has it's own style, contributing to the whole style of the campaign.

PS: Logan may have some history with the terrorists: He was citizen of the burned village, joined ranks of the organisation, but after while, he realised (to him) they are just bunch of outlaws. Formerly idealistic, now dissapointed, he became mercenary.
TheGreatRings

Post by TheGreatRings »

Okay, I think that clears everything up.

Its an interesting story, with some real potential. As for Elvish Dynasty, I'll admit its been a while since I played it.
The X-files

Neuromancer

Post by Neuromancer »

Update: I will not update this list because basically every post here so far has been new idea :)
Edit: moved scenario overview into the first post.

Some ideas worth implementing (feel free to add yours and comments on these):
Achievements system - At the end of the last scenario, player will be awarded with some achievements, which wil summarize his advance through entire campaign, for example: Finished the game only with female characters, or Revealed the secret of the old dry tree, or Imperial vassal: Helped imperials against the terrorists. These will further enhance gameplay experience and also will motivate the player to replay campaign; there will be also listed achievements, which he didn't acquire.
This system can be implemented also at the scenario level: after each scenario, there will be one for normal and one for hard difficulty, f. ex. for first scenario: Slay 4 or more enemies in the water and Finish the scenario in under 6 turns.
Last edited by Neuromancer on April 7th, 2011, 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheGreatRings

Post by TheGreatRings »

Neuromancer wrote:Edit: moved scenario overview into the first post.

Some ideas worth implementing (feel free to add yours and comments on these):
Achievements system - At the end of the last scenario, player will be awarded with some achievements, which wil summarize his advance through entire campaign, for example: Finished the game only with female characters, or Revealed the secret of the old dry tree, or Imperial vassal: Helped imperials against the terrorists. These will further enhance gameplay experience and also will motivate the player to replay campaign; there will be also listed achievements, which he didn't acquire.
This system can be implemented also at the scenario level: after each scenario, there will be one for normal and one for hard difficulty, f. ex. for first scenario: Slay 4 or more enemies in the water and Finish the scenario in under 6 turns.
Interesting.

I can suggest a few more if you like.

-Finish without casualties.
-Kill all enemy leaders (if their are scenarios that don't require kills).
The X-files

Quman

Post by Quman »

Have you and The Great Rings started working on this together, or are you still working alone on this? I'd be interested in helping if you still need it, but this topic hasn't been commented on in a few weeks, so I don't know if you're still looking for help.
Neuromancer

Post by Neuromancer »

Still alone. Still haven't figured out the whole story. Without story there cannot be complete scenarios, character dialogues, etc. so the whole project is at dead point. But I thought about something like this:
Maybe (censored) is trying to escape through the portal to the another dimension because he knows there is nothing to prevent dark elves from overwhelming everything. Maybe (censored) is some kind of fallen vissionare, and nobody believes him at the start, but at the end everyone is begging him to take them with him. Maybe the lesson of the story can be something like "everybody is coward when faced with a REAL threat". Maybe it can be about gods who failed to inspire their people (or vice versa) so no one believes the evil can be fighted and won over (they just dont have the hope and motto can be "i'am trying to believe"). Maybe the good guys have the balls to fight the evil but they are hampered by the passivism of other people who lost they will to fight. Maybe the evil just bluntly prevails and innocents will causelessly die and although your party will make it to the portal, they will end up with something like "omg, whole world is crumbling because we couldnt manage to whatever and now we cannot bear it and will just rot there until the evil will come for us, we just feel so hopeless". But I doubt this will be interesting for the player.

Anyway, everyone can contribute without knowledge of the story: names for places and organizations, characters pasts, and so on.
Pewskeepski

Post by Pewskeepski »

I could probably help you with the story. I like the idea about the portal, it sounds like it could be interesting :)
"Everything is better with penguins."
Creator of Burning Souls, The Fall of Wesnoth (abandoned) and Adventures of Knighthood (now available on BfW 1.15!)
Neuromancer

Post by Neuromancer »

Yeah, like only place suitable for the portal is to the far north. In order to create it you need some ingredients, among others one or two innocent virgins, for example Hailey... But I really dont know if general player population will be satisfied with the outcome of the scenario; At the end, (censored) will turn into selfish [censored] (he will sacrifice innocent soul), the good guys will lose and evil will prevail.
Quman

Post by Quman »

Funny, I'd come up with a few ideas on the plot, and my favorite idea was going to end with the protagonist being a villain, possibly having Tess lead the mercenaries against him in the end.

Another idea I had involved the protagonist being the true emperor, having been body swapped by the villain. In this case he would be on a quest to return to his true form. There were also a few similar ideas, like the quest to set up the emperor's good son (rescued in mission 5, identity revealed at the end of the campaign) as a ruler in the north and uniting people who oppose the emperor under his banner.

Another idea involves the protagonist secretly being a necromancer, traveling to the north castle to raise the greatest army this land has ever known. This campaign could easily end with him being a villain (using the army to wipe out the alliance) or anti-hero (using unscrupulous methods to defeat the dark elves/empire with minimal casualties among the alliance.) His necromantic powers could be foreshadowed in mission 2 where he is able to use gold won by the other team to recruit undead. If he turns out to be a villain, the final mission would probably be a race to defeat him before his undead army becomes too powerful and wipes out the mercenaries.

Anyway, I'll write up some profiles for the mercenaries and post them later.
Neuromancer

Post by Neuromancer »

Quman wrote:Funny, I'd come up with a few ideas on the plot, and my favorite idea was going to end with the protagonist being a villain, possibly having Tess lead the mercenaries against him in the end.
Agreed. And at the end player can choose whether to turn against (censored) or let him create portal. Every character present will express his/her opinion (f. ex. Logan is willing to sacrifice Hailey; but elvish druid not, because Hailey is her sister).
Quman wrote: Another idea I had involved the protagonist being the true emperor, having been body swapped by the villain. In this case he would be on a quest to return to his true form. There were also a few similar ideas, like the quest to set up the emperor's good son (rescued in mission 5, identity revealed at the end of the campaign) as a ruler in the north and uniting people who oppose the emperor under his banner.
Another idea involves the protagonist secretly being a necromancer, traveling to the north castle to raise the greatest army this land has ever known. This campaign could easily end with him being a villain (using the army to wipe out the alliance) or anti-hero (using unscrupulous methods to defeat the dark elves/empire with minimal casualties among the alliance.) His necromantic powers could be foreshadowed in mission 2 where he is able to use gold won by the other team to recruit undead. If he turns out to be a villain, the final mission would probably be a race to defeat him before his undead army becomes too powerful and wipes out the mercenaries.
I dont know about this. Personally I grew tired of stories where you end up saving the kingdom/world/universe. I like the portal idea more - your decisions still determine the course of the story, but not on global, only local level. And regarding my previous stated idea about eradicating the dark elves with your group: now I dont like it. On the other hand, the anti-hero necromancer sounds interesting - but why he needs mercenary band (necros are usually "recruiting" their forces right from the start and adding to them "on the run")?

Some more ideas:
(cendored) (or other pc) is member of some (secret) society - sign is tatoo
Hailey and Yveen are twins
Dark elves are channeling the ritual (requiring continuous supply of souls) which, in turn, is influencing creatures with soul in continuosly growing radius. Effects on victims (this effect is gradual): Ones dreams will turn into nightmares and one day, these nightmares will turn into reality. One will sleepwalk away from bed, and like zombie, will slowly march to the ritual site where his soul will be sacrificed (or his blood will be magically transfused to the container emmiting this dark energy - soul supply will be provided with souls of innocents /yeah, in this world, for every dark ritual, you just need innocent soul/).
Quman

Post by Quman »

I had intentionally looked for ideas that would have a large impact on the world because that's what I thought you were going for. I figured with all the secrecy surrounding the mission, it must be something major. Now that I have a better idea of what you're going for I'll focus on that.

As for the protagonist being a necromancer... which sounds easier to you? Traveling north for several weeks with a large gathering of dead guys and a huge sign that screams "I AM EVIL" or traveling north for several weeks with a small band of competent mercenaries. Also, I wasn't meaning for him to be a super-powerful necromancer, but rather one that relies on whatever he picks up in mission 5 (a book or some sort of artifact) to raise the army in the north castle. I don't imagine him being powerful enough that he could have used his own powers to accomplish mission 5 with a bunch of walking corpses that may not be very good with stealth. Also, when I talked about him using the army to wipe out one group or another, I was referring to his intentions, not necessarily his results.

Anyway, back to working on character profiles. I'm sure there will be plenty of ideas you don't like, but it's probably easier to learn from your rejection than it is to find out what you're going for and then write their profiles.
TheGreatRings

Post by TheGreatRings »

Neuromancer wrote:Still alone. Still haven't figured out the whole story. Without story there cannot be complete scenarios, character dialogues, etc. so the whole project is at dead point. But I thought about something like this:
Maybe (censored) is trying to escape through the portal to the another dimension because he knows there is nothing to prevent dark elves from overwhelming everything. Maybe (censored) is some kind of fallen vissionare, and nobody believes him at the start, but at the end everyone is begging him to take them with him. Maybe the lesson of the story can be something like "everybody is coward when faced with a REAL threat". Maybe it can be about gods who failed to inspire their people (or vice versa) so no one believes the evil can be fighted and won over (they just dont have the hope and motto can be "i'am trying to believe"). Maybe the good guys have the balls to fight the evil but they are hampered by the passivism of other people who lost they will to fight. Maybe the evil just bluntly prevails and innocents will causelessly die and although your party will make it to the portal, they will end up with something like "omg, whole world is crumbling because we couldnt manage to whatever and now we cannot bear it and will just rot there until the evil will come for us, we just feel so hopeless". But I doubt this will be interesting for the player.

Anyway, everyone can contribute without knowledge of the story: names for places and organizations, characters pasts, and so on.
Most of that's too cynical for my tastes. Though if victory really is impossible, helping people flee to a new world isn't a terrible idea (its basically what Haldric did in Rise of Wesnoth).

I suggest you avoid heroic necromancers. Besides philosophical/religious issues with raising the dead, necromancy is almost by definition slavery and grave robbing. Not exactly noble traits.

Personally, I might suggest giving the player some choice in the actions and character of the protagonist. Let the player choose weather to follow a heroic or villainous path.

I wish I could help more with the story, but until I finish exams (about a week from now), I'm busy. I'll try to post some character suggestions later in the week if you like.
The X-files

Quman

Post by Quman »

There's a reason I described the two choices for the necromancer protagonist as villain and anti-hero. There's also a reason I prefer to make him the villain and pit all of the mercenaries against him, though in my mind I think of the mercenaries as the heroes of the story, with the protagonist being more of an Ishmael.

EDIT: Gah, what was I talking about? Ishmael is for protagonists who are basically just observers and don't have any real impact on the plot, which is almost the exact opposite of what I meant.

Anyway, I've almost finished writing quick blurbs about each of the characters' backgrounds and personalities. As I said, a lot of this will likely get rejected, but it's probably better to present stuff that might spark other ideas than to prod you with questions until I understand what you're going for. For the record, not everything I wrote into a character's background is something I would expect to work into the dialogue. I just like to have some idea of where a character comes from because it can lead to interesting ideas for their personalities.
Tess:
Garret:
Kara:
Aramis:
Hailey:
Wellen:
Logan:
Luciana:
Yveen:
Wendala:
Pelduras:
It's past midnight, so I decided to stop here, despite having only one more character to go. I'll get some more work done after you've responded to these and I have a clearer idea of what you want.
Last edited by Quman on April 3rd, 2011, 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.