Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Re: My Terrain (Mine!)

Post by Eleazar »

Trees:
I'd be happy to have a burnt out forest, but these trees (as have been noted) are out of scale to a normal forest. You may have to cheat some to make them show up as burnt, but i don't think they need to be that big.
Don't forget to scatter some ash pixels on the ground to complete the burnt effect.

Wood Keep:
*The walls, look good, but the roof is too much of an obviously different rendering style. The roof is higher contrast, sharper, and has less grit and texture than the rest of the fort. Also the color is a lot darker than you would expect if it was the same kind of wood. I've included the .PSD if you want to see how i adjusted the roof, but you don't have to use it.

*I'm not sure what those brighter tan bits are supposed to be, but i don't think we need them

*Also the arrows point to a couple glitches in the wall.

* Still it's pretty close, and having this part will add a lot more flexibility to building different types of forts.
wood keep.jpg
wood keep.jpg (287.89 KiB) Viewed 5716 times
Attachments
wood keep.psd
(1.27 MiB) Downloaded 432 times
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

I think I put more faith your color selections than mine, so I just used your overlay from the PSD. I also got rid of the light things, and fixed a few glitches.
Attachments
test-camp.tgz
(201.33 KiB) Downloaded 280 times
camp-bright1.png
camp-bright1.png (261.41 KiB) Viewed 5514 times
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Eleazar

Post by Eleazar »

OK, looking into making this work... The non-keep pieces are they any different than what's already in mainline, or just included to make the replacement set work?
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
Attempting Lucidity
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Ugh, I should have tested that. I don't think I did anything special with them, though I was considering it... It should work with the existing ones.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
Eleazar

Post by Eleazar »

I've added it in, but it's not behaving quite right. Maybe i'm too tired, maybe i've forgotten how this part of the WML worked. Note: the especially complicated part is what allows castles (not keeps) of different kinds to go together.
Attempting Lucidity
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

For what little this is worth, it works by itself, with the old WALL_TRANSITION at least (using the old encampment walls, not the "castle" walls in my .tgz). I don't know about transitioning to other castles, unfortunately, but I did use the same image scheme as the others.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Eleazar wrote:Trees:
I'd be happy to have a burnt out forest, but these trees (as have been noted) are out of scale to a normal forest. You may have to cheat some to make them show up as burnt, but i don't think they need to be that big.
Don't forget to scatter some ash pixels on the ground to complete the burnt effect.
I've done a little more for the burnt trees. Some transitions are not done, but is this about right?
Attachments
ashes-shot.png
ashes-shot.png (517.1 KiB) Viewed 5036 times
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Crendgrim »

[non-artist-comment]
grzywacz wrote:Bone Forest? :shock:

It's much better now, but I cannot see the "burned" aspect there. The trees look more as if they were made out of metal, stone or bone...

Crend
UMC Story Images — Story images for your campaign!
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Well, from google images, I should either make them black, light grey, or non-existent (in which case this is pointless). From my own experience, they are light grey, and yes, they look a lot like stone. Because they are grey.
em3

Post by em3 »

Reality is unrealistic.

Maybe try making the trunks even thinner? Look how thick they are when compared to the unburnt trees... Most are okay, but the thickest ones look off.

Plus., judging from references I've seen, you could try smudging some black on the grays.
ride on shooting star
Reepurr

Post by Reepurr »

Yeah, still getting a stoney feel off this unfortunately. Have you tried giving it the near-black, scored look of charcoal?
"What do you mean, "a dwarvish dragonguard with marksman is overpowered"?"

Story of a Drake Outcast | The Nonsense Era
Played HttT-Underground Channels? Thought it was rubbish? Help us develop it here!
Atz
Art Contributor

Post by Atz »

I think the bone/stone look may be because they are very smooth... recently burned trees often have a rough texture.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

The current trees have trunks that are only one or two pixels thick. You're using as many as five, which puts them at the wrong scale for trees, so we read them as something else.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Gadzooks

Post by Gadzooks »

It looks like a petrified forest to me, which is pretty cool for a fantasy scenario and doesn't have to mean the trees in the area were even the same species however long ago they were alive.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

em3 wrote:Reality is unrealistic.

Maybe try making the trunks even thinner? Look how thick they are when compared to the unburnt trees... Most are okay, but the thickest ones look off.

Plus., judging from references I've seen, you could try smudging some black on the grays.
Heh. It takes some training or knack that I don't have, I suppose, to know when to bend the truth and when to adhere. The current pine trees have trunks less than 2 pixels, but the grass blades are a similar size in places. The burnt trees are trees and not grass, but the burnt trees don't have fluffy branches, so they are more like grass. Except they are supposed to be bigger.

As for the petrified forest, burn areas can look like that. They often look dark and sooty instead, but a dull black splotch doesn't seem very interesting, and I'm not really interested in drawing such a thing.

So, if anyone wants a petrified forest, here it is:
forest.tgz
(100.21 KiB) Downloaded 290 times
This is the WML for it:
Spoiler:
Attachments
ash-shot1.png