Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
pixeL73XId

Servus Text Display font

Post by pixeL73XId »

Hi guys,

my first post here... First of all, thank you all for your great effort on this game.
Been interested in typography for a while, I'd like to propose introducing the font I found recently on dafont website.

http://www.dafont.com/servus-text-display.font

The name of the font is Servus Text Display and according to DaFont and David Engelby it is free for both non-commercial and commercial use.
I know there was a discussion about the typeface for game logo quite some time ago. Honestly, I don't know what's the current status there (and yes, was too lazy to search for that topic). If the font is not suitable for Wesnoth logo, perhaps it could be used for the game artwork for some campaigns.

As for the font itself, it caught my attention because it is both elegant and readable (even at small sizes). At the first glance, it may seem similar to traditional serif fonts but there are some nice touches on stems and serifs which make it perfectly suitable for the Wesnoth world in my opinion.

What do you think ?
Attachments
wesnoth_servus_font_2.png
wesnoth_servus_font.png
servus font
servus font
servus_text_display.png (105.6 KiB) Viewed 4158 times
Last edited by Iris on March 13th, 2011, 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Converted colors to bold. (Posting Guidelines, 1d.)
Frogger5

Re: Servus Text Display font

Post by Frogger5 »

Yay! Fellow dafont user! :D
My spritework can be seen here.

Want to play Roll 2 Dodge, or even start your own game?http://rolltododge.freeforums.org/index.php We need you!
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

Servus’ typeface is nice, though perhaps it actually works better as body text than in the logo. As far as the Wesnoth logo I think the style of sharp cuts and pronounced serifs as we currently see is rewarding; this text set for display type here looks quite dull and unassuming.

Currently Wesnoth uses DejaVu Sans for in-game text. I have experimented with using others — such as a font named Gentium — and other than showing a little small, it works fine. Feel free to see how well it may work. However, if you were to use this for game text, Wesnoth needs bold, italic, and bold+italic variations too.
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

It doesn’t convince me, since Freetype has multiple kerning issues with it at low sizes (that might or might not be the font’s fault).
Attachments
servus.png
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Max

Post by Max »

looks nice, but the character set is quite limited and the license not quite compatible:

Code: Select all

IMPORTANT NOTE:
If you intend to use the font Servus Text Display for print media or digital media, I want to be listed oficially - in a relevant place describing authorship, isbn etc. - as the designer of the font Ingleby.
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

That's not necessarily a problem. It's not all that different from BSD/apache/MIT style licenses.
pixeL73XId

Post by pixeL73XId »

Thanks for the replies. I didn't mean to use Servus font for a body text (actually, it can't be as it doesn't contain all unicode chars so it wouldn't work for other languages than English) I'm pretty satisfied with the body text typeface that's being used presently.

I've been thinking about the typeface for campaing art or even Wesnoth logo. I finally found the thread "Wesnoth logo and Loyalist sigil" where you can find my attempt to apply Servus font for the Wesnoth logo. If anybody likes this typeface please support it :) in this thread:

http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... &start=255

thanks