Ageless Era - Current Version: 4.33

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

StDrake

Re: Ageless Era - Current Version: 4.7

Post by StDrake »

doubling the deman for nightmares, if you don't take them maybe I will xD. In that case you'd get some cats to add as well as the creepers when you change your mind.
Like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick ass with!
Don't like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick their asses! So everyone's happy :)
Felinian faction is part of the Beyond Southern Hells era
kitties need sprites! art topic here
Ryuuzaki52

Post by Ryuuzaki52 »

Actually, I got mixed up...I was confusing Sprit Dove and Vapor x.x But yeah, Sprit Dove should be level 0. My bad >_>
StDrake

Post by StDrake »

after a bit of playtesting - Equestrians manta rider is a wee bit too cheap, for a mere 16 gold you get a fast unit, with an infantry-strength melee attack, archer-strong ranged attack, and better defence that mermen on terrain that is usually meant to be a barrier, not a boon. With such capabilities it should be more around 18 or 20 gold

edit: and Welkin midnight glider is missing some frame image after leveling to midnight stalker, seems like some s, or se facing
Don't like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick their asses! So everyone's happy :)
AlaskanAvenger

Post by AlaskanAvenger »

The steel hive are way overpowered making them unfair in any game.. their two main units, the Oculus and the Slasher are strong to start out (especially considering the slasher has 60% defense on flat and the Oculus 50% almost everywhere) and when they level, they are almost as strong as a good level 3 unit. when level 3 they are as good as most level 4 units.. They need significant reduction in attack for level 2 ie. 8-4 not 11-4, and and 12-4 for level 3
Mal-Icious

Post by Mal-Icious »

My favourite faction is The Dark Elves from EE and I usually used Warlock as my king. Unfortunately Warlock can't be chosen as a king antmore :(

Well... he is a bit too weak. If you compare him to Lich they are much same, expect Warlock is weaker. Maybee Warlock needs some balancing.
:eng:
Lich got 6 movements, Warlock only 5
Lich deals max 24 melee damage (8damage 3times) and drains 12 + alligment bonus, Warlock deals max 16 melee damage (4damage 4times) and drains 8 + alligment bonus, which is less than for Lich since Warlock deals lower damage.
Lich got 60hp, Warlock 52 (even cleric got 62)
Lich cost 50gold, Warlock 80gold (Although this does not matter since you cant buy neither of them)
Lich can evolve into Ancient lich in EE, which is much stronger.
If you compare their second forms, Elf Sorcerer(cost 39) delas 11 cold damage 3 times, but has no melee attack, Dark Wizard(cost 32) deals 13 cold Damage 2 times, or 9 arcane damage 2 times and Dark Wizard got melee attack 4 impact damage 3 times.
Lich got submerge ability, Warlock has no abilities.
Warlock has better ranged attack damage by 2, better defences on hills and caves but worse on water, swamp and castle. Warlock does not have negative resistances (+10 cold, others 0),although liches positive resistances are much better (+60 cold, +10 blade, +30 pierce, -40 arcane, -20 fire and -10 impact)

I would suggest giving warlock +2 damage to melee, +8hp, 30 resistance to cold and possibly 10 resistance to arcane (for cleric too? She has only 10 resistance to cold too and it would be nice to keep them alike), and 60 defence in castle (castle defences to 60 for cleric too? they both got only 50 whereas other Dark elves got 60). And return him to the king list after that.
DerTod

Post by DerTod »

there's a bug in the Blight faction which let all units die.

see http://forums.wesnoth.org/posting.php?m ... =4&t=33172
Reepurr

Post by Reepurr »

Mal-Icious wrote:>snip<
UANBAUFABAF
Hover over it to see what it stands for.
"What do you mean, "a dwarvish dragonguard with marksman is overpowered"?"

Story of a Drake Outcast | The Nonsense Era
Played HttT-Underground Channels? Thought it was rubbish? Help us develop it here!
mnewton1

Post by mnewton1 »

Sorry for being so inactive. I am dealing with a large amount of schoolwork that requires a major amount of studying. When I get the time, I will take a look at all of the unanswered post and deal with them. For now, I am to busy to do much.

@DerTod: I will look to see what is causing that error now.
Creator of Ageless Era
Check out Frogatto & Friends, it's made by the same people who created The Battle for Wesnoth!
Mal-Icious

Post by Mal-Icious »

Isn't this the place where to put balancing requests for ageless era?
I just remembered that in ageless heroes Dark Elves faction's picture is level 2 captain instead of level 3 Marshal

I have been thinking that pherhaps instead of modifying Warlock, he could be balanced by creating a lvl 4 form for him.
In my game I have created lvl 4 Corrupted Warlock.
I put the coding here if you want to test it.

Corrupted Warlcok: (This unit shoud be undead like lich, but I don't know how to turn him undead if he was alive at first. Does anyone know what kind of coding changes Dark Sorcerer to undead when he evolves to lich?)

#textdomain wesnoth-Ageless_Era

[unit_type]
id=AE Corrupted Warlock
name= _ "Dark Elf^Corrupted Warlock"
image="units/elves-dark/warlock.png"
race=undead
{TRAITS_SET_NO_STRONG}
hitpoints=34
movement_type=desmall
movement=5
experience=170
level=4
alignment=chaotic
advances_to=null
{AMLA_DEFAULT}
cost=80
usage=archer
description= _ "Most powerhungry warlocks may give even their life in order to gain more power. Their bodies die, but the dark magic keeps them alive and makes them resistant to allmost all weapons. A corrupted warlock can to drain soul away from his victim's body and replace it with his evil magic that keeps the body still walking."+{SPECIAL_NOTES}+{SPECIAL_NOTES_MAGICAL}
get_hit_sound={SOUND_LIST:ELF_HIT}
die_sound=lich-die.ogg
[resistance]
cold=10
arcane=30
fire=60
blade=50
pierce=40
impact=60
[/resistance]
[attack]
name=touch
description= _ "touch"
icon=attacks/claws-undead.png
type=arcane
range=melee
damage=5
number=4
[specials]
{WEAPON_SPECIAL_DRAIN}
{WEAPON_SPECIAL_PLAGUE}
[/specials]
[/attack]
[attack]
name=dark wave
description= _ "dark wave"
icon=attacks/dark-missile.png
type=cold
range=ranged
damage=17
number=3
[specials]
{WEAPON_SPECIAL_MAGICAL}
[/specials]
[/attack]
[attack]
name=unholy light
description= _ "unholy light"
icon=attacks/magic-astral.png
type=arcane
range=ranged
damage=18
number=2
[specials]
{WEAPON_SPECIAL_MAGICAL}
[/specials]
[/attack]
[attack_anim]
[filter_attack]
name=touch
[/filter_attack]
[frame]
begin=-200
end=-150
[/frame]
[if]
hits=yes
[frame]
begin=-150
end=200
sound=wail-sml.wav
[/frame]
[/if]
[else]
hits=no
[frame]
begin=-150
end=200
sound={SOUND_LIST:MISS}
[/frame]
[/else]
[/attack_anim]
[attack_anim]
[filter_attack]
name=dark wave
[/filter_attack]
[missile_frame]
begin=-200
end=100
halo="halo/cold-wave-halo1.png:50,halo/cold-wave-halo2.png:50,halo/cold-wave-halo3.png:50"
[/missile_frame]
[frame]
begin=-200
end=-150
[/frame]
[frame]
sound=magicmissile.wav
begin=-150
end=100
[/frame]
[/attack_anim]
[attack_anim]
[filter_attack]
name=unholy light
[/filter_attack]
{MISSILE_FRAME_LIGHT_BEAM}
[if]
hits=yes
[frame]
begin=-50
end=0
sound={SOUND_LIST:HOLY}
[/frame]
[/if]
[else]
hits=no
[frame]
begin=-50
end=0
sound={SOUND_LIST:HOLY_MISS}
[/frame]
[/else]
[/attack_anim]
[/unit_type]

Feel free to use this ase you like or not to use it. I hope someone would fix grammar if this is used.
scrimkiler

Post by scrimkiler »

Is this the right place to post bugs in ageless Era ?

Here is the bug I want to report :
http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=33259
mnewton1

Post by mnewton1 »

Yes this is the right place to report bugs in Ageless Era. Please post it here next time.
Creator of Ageless Era
Check out Frogatto & Friends, it's made by the same people who created The Battle for Wesnoth!
theDream

Post by theDream »

Good job with the ageless era. I use it almost every game and have some suggestions.
I think that the Era of Four Moons should be included in ageless. It has 5 factions (including dalefolk) with some pretty cool units and it's fairly balanced.
There are still some balance issues even with ageless 4.7, IMO. Most of the mercenaries factions are somewhat too strong, esquestrians, refugees and avians stand out the most. The steelhive is definitely overpowered. I get that they have a lot of vulnerabilities, but it still doesn't make up for how beast the bladewhirler and oculi are. My suggestion is that the bladewhirler's Def is reduced from 60 to 50 and the oculi deals 4-3 melee and has 2 less hp. I think that would be a fair downgrade for a faction that noobs like to exploit.
StDrake

Post by StDrake »

Before deciding to put EoFM into ageless ask Velensk if he agrees. It's still not finished as far as I remember and he's still working on it. Plus most EoFM units/factions are balanced against each other, putting them outside would see their ability much differently.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

I am ambivilent on the inclusion of EoFM factions in Ageless.

On one hand, including it will give people less insentive to try EoFM and will undoubtably require balancing changes for inclusion that I will have little power over. I have noticed that AE versions will tend to choose to take it's own trend of balancing rather than making the same updates that the originating era makes. This makes sense but it could also give people who play it a different impression of certain units/factions than intended. For example, I would right now advise you to wait to include them until I make some changes/fixes for abilities I have on the docket but I know that even if you do, about three weeks later I'll have another list of changes I'm making Of course, many of these changes won't necessarily be to the advantage of Ageless which will need to balance for itself.

I still remember seeing the celestials (who were tough to play properly but certainly one of the stronger EoM factions when they were[In the EoM tourny, I noticed a distinct trend of the players who got celestials tended to win those matches]) buffed strongly despite being included in the same era as the undead whom they were already at an extream advantage against, not to mention all the other arcane weak enemies in Ageless including the other EoM factions. I feel that frequently changes are made to factions in Ageless without true understanding of the units/factions or regarding factional balance with all other factions (though to be fair, there are so many other factions I can see why you would not want to attempt to do this).

On the other hand, factions are out there to be played with and have fun and Ageless in particular is out there to provide variety and new things to try. I'm not so distressed about what Ageless might do to my factions that I think that people won't be able to enjoy them if included and it would certainly get them more exposure. If it doesn't keep up with the changes I make I doubt many people would notice or care overly much (likewise the changes made instead might be for the better in the relevant context). I also have no legal right to say that you cannot adapt them (by putting it on the server I forfeited that right).

Use the Era of Four Moon factions if you will, though you might want to stick to the main four (there are actually eight now) as they are the ones who will not use stolen art (much of it stolen from other factions in the AE) and has recieved the most testing. You also might want to wait as the next version will fix a couple bugs in some of the abilities that could cause problems in scenarios where Ageless Era is used.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
AlaskanAvenger

Post by AlaskanAvenger »

I've played all the ageless factions, and in my opinion the four main EoFM factions are better balanced then most of them and would fit in fine without any changes and be a fun addition to it.