Art for Wose Faction

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
homunculus

Re: Art for Wose Faction

Post by homunculus »

zookeeper wrote:Besides, if anyone wanted to do something like this using colour-shifting only, it probably wouldn't require new images in the first place since you could just shift the palette with WML.
tried that, and found the woses might need some cleanup (some almost same colors, quite a few of which seem to be one pixel only), and that the undead and living versions do not really have the same right hand position and the whole undead sprite is shifted one pixel lower, and the living one has eyes while the undead one does not, and the undead left eye is slightly closer to the right eye.
so, i imagine the hypothetical workflow for this could be as follows:
1) do cleanup.
2) draw "eyes" on undead version with color that is indistinguishable from black.
3) ask a hacker to do necessary replacements in wesnoth mainline.
4) write the wml for palette switch or recolor.
and you have a nice winter version without leaves, the more gray color of the bark on the undead one should be enough to distinguish imho (see for yourself, maybe they are distinguishable enough).
winter-wose.png
winter-wose.png (8.89 KiB) Viewed 4842 times
as for the cactose the male version might have those three limbs while the female version might have two limbs and the flower (hopefully you will get to fixing the roots as you said earlier).

the scout is certainly one of the cutest sprites in wesnoth, but where did the roots disappear, i just see the fists there.
if someone asked me, i would vote for roots rather than fists.
as for the strangler, maybe the branches could become narrower towards the end?
artisticdude wrote:[...]One last nitpick: Specular highlights are never directly at the edge of an object unless the light is coming from directly behind them. Rather, presuming the standard Wesnoth lightsource, specular highlights should be on the right side of the object, roughly midway between the right edge and the middle of the object (although this of course depends on the object in question).
the light sources have been puzzling me from the moment i got here.
as i read somewhere recently, the standard wesnoth lightsource is from the right at 45 degrees.

so, i think that a reasonable cookie-cutter way to shade a simple round shape might be:
brightest non-specular highlight spot 2/3 from center towards right edge.
specular highlight 1/3 from center towards the right edge.
full shadow starts 2/3 from center towards the left edge.

some basic trigonometry that i used to check it:
Spoiler:
Last edited by homunculus on February 15th, 2011, 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
campaign ruthless in your nearest 1.11 add-on server
some wesnoth-related drawings
Phyreprooph

Post by Phyreprooph »

I understand where your coming from but the last time i checked...artists don't care much about maths except like M.C.Escher. :P It is extremely difficult to get a piece of art to look good while using maths. It is also very very time consuming.

I never really said i would fix the roots on the cactose but if it's a huge problem to a lot of people i may have to. The roots on the original cactose aren't very "cactus-like" themselves and they were made by someone else so i don't really want to mess around with them too much.

The wose shrub has rounded feet...not roots, being the reason it can move faster than a normal wose. It was also just a concept...nothing i'm running with for sure...not exactly sure how it fits in with the rest of the woses. All the woses are different kinds of trees so far and the shrub....is a bush? I dunno. Not too sure about it. There hasn't been a lot of input on it. Still a big question mark over it.

@Luroch_Delkar:
I like the exploding with the leaves but the shaking is extremely dodgey for an idle animation. I didn't mean rotate his body round i meant shake his head on an axis around his neck (if that makes sense) in an attempt to brush off debris from his leaves (hair). I said it would be tricky and it will be if you want to make it look good but effort = reward. :P In this case no but you get the point. :P
Everything is edible, some things just aren't good for you.

Current Project: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=30104
Phyreprooph

Post by Phyreprooph »

Right now i'm working on improving the animations for the cactoses and stranglers (as the stranglers don't really have any yet) with all directions. (N,NE,SE,S) I'm also gonna make north facings of all the units including (hopefully) the mainline wose assuming it doesn't look like poo. :P

homunculus

Post by homunculus »

Phyreprooph wrote:I understand where your coming from but the last time i checked...artists don't care much about maths except like M.C.Escher. :P It is extremely difficult to get a piece of art to look good while using maths. It is also very very time consuming.[...]
ok, i'll hide the boring stuff in spoiler.
campaign ruthless in your nearest 1.11 add-on server
some wesnoth-related drawings
Luroch_Delkar
Location: Some people are in homes, some are in cars, I am in-sane.

Post by Luroch_Delkar »

Oh, you mean around a vertical axis. :( I picture him closing his eyes and shaking his head like a lion shakes his mane. Like I said before, those were just quick skewings of the image and I had planed to keep the feet still and shake his leaves.
"The Enforcer knows only one way to preserve peace. So mind your neighbors else it will descend upon you." Sword of the Stars Forever
HAPPINESS=Moderation, Variety, and Love
Current Projects: Jailbreak (RPG)(3/4 completed) , Dungeonmaster Era
Phyreprooph

Post by Phyreprooph »

I guess you could try that but you have make sure it isn't a blurry skew of the image. :wink:

Luroch_Delkar
Location: Some people are in homes, some are in cars, I am in-sane.

Post by Luroch_Delkar »

I already have, I just did the skew for an idea of what it may look like.

Oh, and here is my attempt at improving the death animation.
Attachments
aaaawose.gif
aaaawose.gif (17.8 KiB) Viewed 4708 times
"The Enforcer knows only one way to preserve peace. So mind your neighbors else it will descend upon you." Sword of the Stars Forever
HAPPINESS=Moderation, Variety, and Love
Current Projects: Jailbreak (RPG)(3/4 completed) , Dungeonmaster Era
powershot

Post by powershot »

Cool! A Wose faction! :D
My new account is: Power_Pixel_Wannabe. Yea. Yea.... Why are you still reading this? What the heck m8? You have some kind of problem? Yea. I draw. NO I'M NOT 5 ANYMORE!!! Little brats.
The heck m8? I thought you left... No seriously... go... serious...
ok bye m8. I'm serious.
StandYourGround
Location: On a blue ball spinning through space at incomprehensible speed

Post by StandYourGround »

Yes indeed, powershot. That's what this topic is about. :annoyed:

(Just in case you didn't know, a high post count does not grant you any special status on the forum. So maybe you could try to think before posting something completely useless in a topic that is over five months old.)
I will now resume lurking silently.
Boldek

Post by Boldek »

Luroch_Delkar wrote:I already have, I just did the skew for an idea of what it may look like.

Oh, and here is my attempt at improving the death animation.
where did his feet go?
Guys I never thought I'd come back to this forum after 8 years this is wild
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

People! :augh: Dead thread is dead!
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
powershot

Post by powershot »

But Wose faction is a great idea! :augh:
My new account is: Power_Pixel_Wannabe. Yea. Yea.... Why are you still reading this? What the heck m8? You have some kind of problem? Yea. I draw. NO I'M NOT 5 ANYMORE!!! Little brats.
The heck m8? I thought you left... No seriously... go... serious...
ok bye m8. I'm serious.
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

That doesn't change the fact that the last post was in February.

Unless the OP makes an effort to revive the project, posting here is pointless.
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Indeed. Consider the thread soft-locked. If you don't know what that means, read the forum rules, and realise that you're perilously close to being shown the door at the moment.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.