What was your first Programming Language

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Myrien

Re: What was your first Programming Language

Post by Myrien »

As as many have included markup languages, first HTML, then CSS.
Counting only real programming languages, I started C++ a few months ago. I haven't got that far though due to other projects, mainly literature and art.
Alarantalara
Art Contributor

Post by Alarantalara »

I'll join the HyperCard group. The scripting language behind it, HyperTalk, is most definitely a real language.
I still have fond memories of discovering that

Code: Select all

on mouseUp
  ask "What do you want to do?"
  do it
end mouseUp
is correct and useful. The implicit variable "it" was probably my favourite feature.
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

Same as most, HTML being my actually first but WML being the first to yield results. Currently learning Lua.
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

If we're counting HTML then I guess I have to change my vote.
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

Well, if we don't count markup languages then Lua would be first, and I haven't even fully learned it yet.
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

I first learned programming with BASIC, first in VIC-20 and then C-64. My first PC came with Turbo Pascal, and I used that quite a while. Since then I've learned Python, C, PHP, R and Octave (Matlab). Of the markup languages, I've used HTML+CSS, SVG, LaTeX, POV-Ray SDL and WML. I'm not really good in any of those, though, but when you're familiar with several languages, it's rather easy to learn new ones.
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
dipseydoodle

Post by dipseydoodle »

My original was Unit/Era WML(and I can't say I've tried anything else)... After that I wrote some Applescript Apps and some simple games in Inform7... Right now though I've been experimenting with BASH and UNIX/SHELL script which I find most difficult(I've been writing a GUI for FreeDOS).
pauxlo

Post by pauxlo »

I think my first touch with programming was with some BASIC system, but I don't really remember this. (It was not my own computer, too - I think some course somewhere.)

Then, when I got my own computer, I did quite some programs in MS-DOS batch files (which was not easy, since it does not really support arithmetic - so this mainly were programs with lots of menu structures and little real use).

Later came Pascal (Turbo Pascal for DOS, then Borland Pascal for Windows), where I simulated a combined spring/cord pendulum, painted a 3-dimensional colored wave, and wrote a program for learning vocabulary (this used the Windows API, I think).

(Then came Java, LaTeX, Bash, JavaScript, procmail, elisp, C, lex, bison, SQL (including implementing a simplified subset in C), C++, PHP, WML, Lua, Groovy. I'm not totally sure about the order, though. I also looked in quite some more languages.)

(Edit: adding some languages I forgot before.)