Dwarves and forest

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

PawelS

Dwarves and forest

Post by PawelS »

Can someone tell me what was the reason of the design decision to make forest hexes cost only 1 movement point for the Dwarves? I can't think of a reason why they should be faster in forests than Humans...

(If this subject was already discussed, please direct me to an appropriate thread, I couldn't find any.)
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Re: Dwarves and forest

Post by Zerovirus »

Maybe they're shorter and can navigate under the trees?
wesfreak

Post by wesfreak »

That's what it says in the description.

Also, balance overrides real life, and the low mp cost is necessary for dwarf balance.
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Dwarves already have little move points. 4 on average? 5 when they're quick? Sure, they move as fast on flat, forest or hills, but in this case "as fast" is not very extravagant (can't compare with the elvish archer's 6, or loyalist cavalries' and horsemen's 8).

On a more "thematic" answer, I'd say that it's not that much lack of "terrain profeciency" that make them slow, but just short legs. Slow but steady. Human are slowed in forests because they can't run through trees and watch their steps. Dwarves already go relatively slowly, so they'd have the time to watch their steps aplenty, shouldn't they?
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
sur.nhm

Post by sur.nhm »

I seem to remember one thing in the help section mentioning the dwarves cutting their way, thence them not being slowed, but being so unfamiliar with the terrain, thence the low defence.
I'm not really around any more, but you can find me in TvTropes.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

I'd always interpreted forests as just being part of dwarven terrain abiet a part which they had no special techniques for fighting in for itself. Most non-desert mountains I've been in have trees quite a bit of the way up the slope and if you lived in or around them I imagine you'd learn enough woodcraft to not be slowed overmuch especially if you're tough enough to shrug off thorns.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
StDrake

Post by StDrake »

I'd blame it on formations - dwarves are used to caves and mountains, so they use rather loose formations that don't get bogged down by complex surroundings and their tactics make use of rather the terrain shape than detail. They're not used to forests so it's not as stable and defence-friendly as stalagmites, but they don't pose a problem in movement in the same way.
That and they don't have such big problems with ramming their heads into the lower branches.
Like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick ass with!
Don't like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick their asses! So everyone's happy :)
Felinian faction is part of the Beyond Southern Hells era
kitties need sprites! art topic here
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

PawelS wrote:Can someone tell me what was the reason of the design decision to make forest hexes cost only 1 movement point for the Dwarves? I can't think of a reason why they should be faster in forests than Humans...
[movement_costs] forest=1 means the full movement. If the movement of your dwarf unit is equal to four, the unit is able to move four hexes even on the forest terrains.
So dwarves are not particularly slow on the forest terrains. They are just slow on any terrains.
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
Northern Forces - now on 1.12 server
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Well... they are mountaineers.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

A dwarf is a stout, determined creature, that will get to his destination one way or another. He won't let a few trees slow him down!
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
hiro hito

Post by hiro hito »

The strangest thing is that poacher has 2 moves on forest! I agree that he's human but poacher usualy leave/hide in forest but he's the slowest unit of his faction!
"Of course His Majesty is a pacifist. When I told him that to initiate war was a mistake, he agreed.Thus, gradually, he began to lead toward war."-Emperor Shòwa (Enlightened Peace)'s chief cabinet secretary
PeterPorty
Translator

Post by PeterPorty »

Dude, WINR and balance is much, much more important.
"The real world is for people who can't imagine anything better."
PawelS

Post by PawelS »

Dave wrote:A dwarf is a stout, determined creature, that will get to his destination one way or another. He won't let a few trees slow him down!
I like this explanation :)
hiro hito wrote:The strangest thing is that poacher has 2 moves on forest! I agree that he's human but poacher usualy leave/hide in forest but he's the slowest unit of his faction!
I agree, such peculiarities are the reason I started this thread.
PeterPorty wrote:Dude, WINR and balance is much, much more important.
What is WINR?

Edit: Found it :) (But I don't think it means some things were changed deliberately to make it less realistic ;))
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

It doesn't. It means that it isn't good justification if you say that something should be included/excluded if it is/isn't realistic.
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
Atz
Art Contributor

Post by Atz »

hiro hito wrote:The strangest thing is that poacher has 2 moves on forest! I agree that he's human but poacher usualy leave/hide in forest but he's the slowest unit of his faction!
Maybe poachers move through the forest cautiously and stealthily, which is why they have high defence, while the dwarves just go crashing through it.