Khalifate facelift: Redux

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
StDrake

Re: Khalifate facelift: final tweaks in progress

Post by StDrake »

it will be hardly visible like that, at least for some side colours..it's not very natural-falcony but maybe TC the elder ones longfeathers instead?
Like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick ass with!
Don't like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick their asses! So everyone's happy :)
Felinian faction is part of the Beyond Southern Hells era
kitties need sprites! art topic here
Atz
Art Contributor

Post by Atz »

Boucman wrote:if you are talking of the TC lines, it's a harness. (no real purpose or historical precedents, we wanted to have TC at different places for lvl0 and lvl1 to help unit difrerenciation)
Given that it seems to be a trained hunting bird, wouldn't a hood make more sense? It'd be easier to see, too...
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

It probably would, but I think you'd run into similar difficulties with interpretation. I'll take another look though.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Sleepwalker
Art Contributor

Post by Sleepwalker »

I have leveled up.

It's been a long time and I feel inspired to improve that what I once started and TSI kept working on. There's many ideas brewing in my head that would be fun to realize...

The Khalifate unit tree is not set in stone and is up for change right? If it would make it more balanced. My intention here is to crank out my new versions of the existing unit lines as well as new units that might be interesting. Whether they end up being used in default is moot, as I enjoy making them and they might end up in campaigns... That is if I keep up working on this.

The wyvern rider thing turned out huge yeah.
Attachments
khalifateRedux2.png
khalifateRedux2.png (29.33 KiB) Viewed 7001 times
Sometimes we must be hurt in order to grow, fail in order to know, lose in order to gain, and sometimes we must have to be broken so we can be whole again...
- Nercy Masayon
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Khalifate facelift: Redux

Post by artisticdude »

...Wow. Was not expecting this. The wyvern rider is epic. :D

I don't really have anything critique to offer here, other than that the wyvern's back leg seems just a little muddled with its wing, but I'm not sure how you'd go about fixing that. It's probably not even worth bothering with, TBH.
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Mefisto
Art Contributor

Post by Mefisto »

Yes, this is an excellent work. And the wyvern is impressive too.
Amorphous

Post by Amorphous »

You just keep raising the bar. :o Awesome work - you have a way with dynamic poses, and I love how detailed your designs are.
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

Wow, I've gotta study some of the techniques you used here. The wyvern's head-neck area is amazingly readable for all the detail you packed in, and I'd love to see the unit get in! (It'd definitely shut up the people complaining about a lack of fantasy flavor in the Khalifate for sure.)
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Very nice work.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Dorimen

Post by Dorimen »

Now the khalifate are good!! :D

Amazing artwork, sleepwalker! :shock:
DeviantArt Profile
My project: Stickmen Era
Coming soon project: The Chaos Lord- a campaign with the Stickmen Era
--The measure of a man is what he does with power--
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

(Is speechless as he sees the awesomeness of the Wyvern Rider)...
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Sleepwalker
Art Contributor

Post by Sleepwalker »

Thanks all. :)

TSI: Since I started this I've been somewhat attached to this faction and have had some visions for it... That's why I'm doing this. If it weren't for your efforts it wouldn't even had been played in mainline yet. I know you made 2 animations already so sorry for that.

Artisticdude: There's some things in my mind to improve the wyvern with... I'll probably try to address the leg too. The sprite needs an "in flight" mode too like the drakes when over water etc, I'll make that as well.

Zero: I would think partly it's because of the largely varying colors of the different material parts in that area as well as proper display of shadows. Dunno what else to say about that. I keep whittling away at stuff making tons of small edits until I can get it as good as I can, like many others do I would presume - unless you are speedpainting.

Added Batac and a bit of a different approach for Monawish, could be a different unit too if not really fitting.

EDIT: Some skin color experiments.
Attachments
khalifateRedux3.png
khalifateRedux3.png (46.35 KiB) Viewed 6607 times
Sometimes we must be hurt in order to grow, fail in order to know, lose in order to gain, and sometimes we must have to be broken so we can be whole again...
- Nercy Masayon
homunculus

Post by homunculus »

The magenta thing the rider is holding (called 'reins', I guess), is curved in such way near the hand, that it looks stiff.
If that was not the intention, a more flexible band would assume the main curve much closer to the hand.

What is the material of the rider's clothing?

The two units top right are holding the bow and the shield in same hand (it took some time to figure that out for the rightmost unit, wondering about the strange shape of the shield).
I have some doubts about such combination working well for neither using the shield nor the bow.
What did they really do with shields in such cases, did they hang it on the back, or something else?
campaign ruthless in your nearest 1.11 add-on server
some wesnoth-related drawings
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

amazing -
unfortuanately i saw this thread to late - else the wyvern rider would have made it directly into my new Map. :lol2:

great work :)
The best bet is your own, good Taste.
Sleepwalker
Art Contributor

Post by Sleepwalker »

homunculus wrote:The magenta thing the rider is holding (called 'reins', I guess), is curved in such way near the hand, that it looks stiff.
If that was not the intention, a more flexible band would assume the main curve much closer to the hand.
As the head of the wyvern is roughly at the same elevation as the hand I don't see why the reins should be as you describe...
homunculus wrote:What is the material of the rider's clothing?
The brown is leather, hat is cloth and the white pad things are mystery material. Most likely dyed leather too, but its up for interpretation.
homunculus wrote:The two units top right are holding the bow and the shield in same hand (it took some time to figure that out for the rightmost unit, wondering about the strange shape of the shield).
I have some doubts about such combination working well for neither using the shield nor the bow.
What did they really do with shields in such cases, did they hang it on the back, or something else?
In this link there's a big discussion about that with links to historical data. When you gave the question I did read up a bit but not all that is there. I found that this was on the whole not the way it was done, but some did use a buckler strapped to the forearm while using a bow. Originally I designed the units similar to how they were represented in the game Medieval2:TW. That is, still carrying the shields while firing the bow, just the look of it was cool to me.

For the lvl3 I decided to make a special shield with an integrated bow- some fantasy stuff. Just how effective that would be in real life I don't know.

Mabuse- thanks.

Some more stuff. I think it is self explanatory what kind of units they are.
Attachments
khalifateRedux4.png
khalifateRedux4.png (58.4 KiB) Viewed 6323 times
- Nercy Masayon