South of Wesnoth?

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

blasphymer

South of Wesnoth?

Post by blasphymer »

What is far south of Wesnoth? From what I know, there is a desert past Aethenwood, so would it be safe to assume anything is down there?
Currently working on a morally gray campaign, Cry of the Assassin... Working on: storyline Completed: Two scenarios and one cutscene, resprites, and a few customized units
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Re: South of Wesnoth?

Post by ancestral »

Kalifa? :roll:
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
Reepurr

Post by Reepurr »

First of all we have Ye North Lands.

Then we have Wesnoth.
Then we have a big desert.
Then we-
Oh dear.

Basically, since canon never goes south of the desert, it can't be said for definite. The Kalifa might be down there, and they're going mainline, but then if they're going mainline...
The people of Southern Hells are down there too.

To be honest though, the Far South is basically whatever you think the Far South should be.
"What do you mean, "a dwarvish dragonguard with marksman is overpowered"?"

Story of a Drake Outcast | The Nonsense Era
Played HttT-Underground Channels? Thought it was rubbish? Help us develop it here!
StDrake

Post by StDrake »

As far as canon goes there's Heartwood next to the coast, then east of it some mountains whose name i forgot, then a little northeast..not sure but i think there was some swamp, and south of that and the moutains is the great desert.
Going south rather from Heartwood we only know of a coast with some kind of human presence, vaste steppes, and some hills with a valley with a spooky name beyond that. In fact the steppes and hills got invalidated - there was a partial map of the area once with those, but now it's lost. Only mention of a few Azgar cities remains south the the Heartwood-desert line

Details are subject to whatever imagination of UMC devs bring, As Repurr noted Southern Hells goes about those areas and none seems to have taken interest in what's south and west of the desert and those hills, though not sure if someone wasn't trying to improvise a map.

Edit: it appears the valley is named the Vale of Tears and is elven? and there's a Black River somewhere south of it.

Edit2: ah, well, mistake again, it all appears the the area is a tad unstable and the lores inaccurate - The Vale of Tears might not be south of heartwood after all
Like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick ass with!
Don't like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick their asses! So everyone's happy :)
Felinian faction is part of the Beyond Southern Hells era
kitties need sprites! art topic here
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

This map should answer your questions.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Kapoue_II

Ok, but anything further north?

Post by Kapoue_II »

Sorry to hijack slightly, but do we know anything about..... anywhere that isn't wesnoth? We know a little about the East (though thats just from a few lines in TRoW), but are there any definate rules, or are we free to invent continents and place them wherever the hell we like? I ask because for my next campaign, almost none of it is going to be in Wesnoth, and I want to stick to any rules so as to avoid ridicule due for rewriting Irdya.
blasphymer

Post by blasphymer »

No hijacking actually, since that's my question. So far, I have a small contained nation south of the desert, closer to the coast, but the orcs live in the mountains next to the Great Ocean. I just dont want to invade anyone's territory putting a small human power there and elves in the forest directly adjacent... It would kind of suck if I don't throw in some references to any races that may live there :lol2:

Thanks for the map, but I think I am even farther south than that.... the Great Continent goes pretty far south and east, so... I'm stuck. I guess I will write it, see if anybody gets mad... hehe

Edit: I should also mention that my campaign occurs during the events of HttT and documents the destruction of an otherwise peaceful nation, which I think would also bring the first traces of Greek-like democracy to Wesnoth, so I guess as long as nothing is there right then... I shouldn't be stepping on anyone's toes...
Last edited by blasphymer on February 7th, 2011, 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Currently working on a morally gray campaign, Cry of the Assassin... Working on: storyline Completed: Two scenarios and one cutscene, resprites, and a few customized units
StDrake

Post by StDrake »

That's west Kapoue and yes - notice that some mainline campaign deal with lands that do not belong to Wesnoth, but to show you where you have definite freedom - to the east (that's -> right on the map) nothing is known past what's shown on campaign maps; to the west - all we know is what is mentionned in TRoW and a little in Dark Water; to the south - the map Lord Knightmare linked explains a lot, and if you add that it may yet be subject to change the situation should be clear; to the north - Northern Rebirth, Son of Black Eye, and you run into a coast. Whatever's beyond is free for taking.

As for civilisations - canon (or rather wiki) only mentions a few towns, at least one being a port and others probably not far from the coast either. You might find it cheezy to place elves south past Heartwood, but if you can think of any excuse on how they'd get there without going through that crazy place you're safe. Orcs are a bigger problem - there were none at all on the continent before TRoW..but then again if you want them near the coast you could probably also say that some crash landed further south than they wanted.
Last edited by StDrake on February 7th, 2011, 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick their asses! So everyone's happy :)
blasphymer

Post by blasphymer »

Good then... I shall continue on without any changes to my location.
StDrake

Post by StDrake »

Seems you managed to post before I ended editing :)
Aside from what I wrote if you would like to make use, or even add to what we got in Southern Hells you'd probably do us a favour :)
blasphymer

Post by blasphymer »

As for the whole of the races down there... I am thinking it mostly happened as kinda this... First, a party of people who came during the TRoW came along and were steered off course from the Green Isle, and found themselves there. Orcs the same way except they actually went even further south. Elves were there, kinda... I am thinking they were actually a small group of elven explorers that went around and came in from the east... But there's a swamp there that I know most elves wouldn't travel through...

I got it! They developed independantly of the Wesnothian elves, because if I am not mistaken, we really don't have a very good creation story for the elves? So whats to say these more Southern elves just were there? I hate to sound that cheesy, but I guess it works?

EDIT: Hey, stdrake, I was reading over southern hells, and what time does it start? I could well make the story behind it through my campaign... especially the Dark Empire, making the elves into felinians (really, magic is magic, and WINR) and orcs just being orcs... just a thought that really sounds far fetched...
StDrake

Post by StDrake »

Um..felinians are kindof ancient actually, the kind of ancient as black people in africa are ancient opposed to white people in america (aside for kits that make for a mad scientist bunch), so I'd prefer if you didn't turn elves into cats. They mostly try to keep everyone away from Heartwood and remember whatever past, sometimes groups venturing out for whatever reason they find at the moment. Can be friendly, can be competitive, depends on the situation.
Same for dragservion, but I think that's obvious with their leaders being actual dragons. Separate types could be much younger though, and it wasn't yet decided what types there are, so you could easily have elven dragservion :)
The rest are not much older than Wesnoth. The "empire" probably got there the same way your humans did, and would most likely welcome them..as easy conquest to bolster their pride.
Valid
I guess the rest is valid - orcs are orcs, they'll be another pain in the.. for the others, except maybe for the darks who might try to parlay (bribe).
Valid
For elves - there kindof is a creation story, but it generally just says that fae had something to do with it (elves are not pure fae if you notice the details), so if there's fae presence down there they might have just gone the same way their northern kind did. Of course nobody knows if there aren't more forests to the east from which they could venture as well.
Valid
blasphymer

Post by blasphymer »

Hehe, so no a no on the elves turning into cats, dang that would have been aboslutely AWESOME! :lol2:

Still, I am open to it. Since I only have three or four actual scenarios written out, I can easily change the story. Would be nice if I had some backstory with which to bounce off of. Also would be nice to find a more permanant backbone to the story too. Have any campaigns been written for Beyond Southern Hells?
StDrake

Post by StDrake »

Nope no campaigns so far, the era itself is in quite an early state - note the dragservion and empire aren't done yet.
How about you start presenting whatever story basis you got so far? Maybe I could help you then with a few ideas for holding points
blasphymer

Post by blasphymer »

Okay, not only do I have it in .doc format... I also will give up some of the high points....

First, a silver/white mage queen (hated) is killed by rebels, who coincidentally were helped along by elves. Second, the humans start making a democratic government using a council (not unlike the Greeks and Romans). Third, the elves hate the humans (still) and hire an outcast assassin (my avatar is his sprite). And those are the main points so far.

With your permission, and whoever else is devving the era, I could easily make the Irendians (humans) into the empire, elves into servants for the dragservionn introduce the felinians, and blast the orcs further south, or north, depending.

Here is the full script (which somehow reads like a play, something I am not fond of...)

EDIT: Forgot .doc doesn't upload, so I converted to rtf...
Attachments
Cry of the Assassin Storyboard.rtf
(42.04 KiB) Downloaded 244 times