Stilt-houses replacement

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
pauxlo

Re: Swamp-Water houses replacement

Post by pauxlo »

LordBob wrote:Also, isn't this a blatant example of creeping biggerism ? I don't know what it looks like next to other villages, but it's definitely bigger than the former swamp house. :hmm:
I think this is intentional:
lurker wrote: I think I found a design which could be suitable as a replacement for the outdated swamp-water villages (If nothing else the current ones are much too small)
Could you show some other villages beside them?
Tet

Post by Tet »

I would prefer, if you could match the colors of both versions.

Additional versions with and without platform and mirror images would be nice for diversity in my humble opinion.

Ignore if you must, consider if you can, but allways be happy.
My Temple Project: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=29800
This is "must-play" campaign! Don´t read the thread, unless you need help. http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=31895
Atz
Art Contributor

Post by Atz »

pauxlo wrote:
LordBob wrote:Also, isn't this a blatant example of creeping biggerism ? I don't know what it looks like next to other villages, but it's definitely bigger than the former swamp house. :hmm:
I think this is intentional:
lurker wrote: I think I found a design which could be suitable as a replacement for the outdated swamp-water villages (If nothing else the current ones are much too small)
Could you show some other villages beside them?
The current swamp village (and the "tropical" village, which is a recolour) is indeed noticeably smaller than most of the other villages.
Attachments
villages.jpg
villages.jpg (21.51 KiB) Viewed 4702 times
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

The second variant lacks contrast, and the angle feels just a little off to me, I think we should see it from higher up. Otherwise, it looks fine. The sizes don't concern me, for the reasons Atz stated.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
lurker
Art Contributor

Post by lurker »

The mismatch of scale was indeed my biggest problem with the old swamp- (and tropical-) houses. If anybody still needs convincing, please compare the sizes of the doors in Atz' image.
thespaceinvader wrote:The second variant lacks contrast, and the angle feels just a little off to me, I think we should see it from higher up. Otherwise, it looks fine. The sizes don't concern me, for the reasons Atz stated.
I do not quite realize what you refer to with lacking contrast. If at all I would have thought the second one had more (read: too much) contrast. I can see what you mean with the angle, though.

Anyway, in the newest incarnation, I have tried to take into consideration all suggestions:
- The angle of the second house is slightly altered. I hope that is sufficient, otherwise a major rework is necessary.
- The platforms are brighter than the house, as suggested by LordBob
- To accomodate that, and maybe avoid the problem with contrast, I made the houses less dark and more saturated (that might even satisfy Tet ;-) ). They are still roughed up like before though, so I hope this is not a regression.
swampwater_double.png
swampwater_double.png (47.96 KiB) Viewed 4574 times
Greetings

Lurker
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Second one looks better now - the shadows looked really washed-out before, which is what I meant by lacking contrast. Maybe what I meant was just 'too bright'.
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
lurker
Art Contributor

Post by lurker »

thespaceinvader wrote:Second one looks better now - the shadows looked really washed-out before, which is what I meant by lacking contrast. Maybe what I meant was just 'too bright'.
Ok, thanks. I submit the pictures once more.

Greetings

Lurker
Attachments
swampwater2.png
swampwater2.png (8.46 KiB) Viewed 4434 times
swampwater.png
swampwater.png (7.55 KiB) Viewed 4434 times
lurker
Art Contributor

Post by lurker »

After some idle time without further comments or criticism, I would like to make sure I am not forgotten. Or, to quote myself:
lurker wrote: More specifically, I propose to replace [the old swampwater images] with [the two from my previous post]
Can we have a decision please?

As a side note, If you agree the old stilt houses need replacing, I intend to try a replacement for the tropical ones, too.

Thanks

Lurker
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Good to go for my money, but Eleazar has final call on terrain stuff.
lurker
Art Contributor

Post by lurker »

thespaceinvader wrote:Good to go for my money, but Eleazar has final call on terrain stuff.
Yeah, pity he does not seem to have much time at hand ATM. Anyway, to make it as easy as possible, I attach a zip with the images, including the replacement for swampwater-tile. Just extract in the <wesnoth-data>/core/images/terrain/villages folder and be done.

While we wait, here is an idea how the tropical house could look like. I suppose there the stilts make only sense to hold off wild animals and therefore have made them rather high:
tropical_design.png
tropical_design.png (23.33 KiB) Viewed 4126 times
Greetings

Lurker
Attachments
swampwater.zip
(27.07 KiB) Downloaded 267 times
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

That looks cool, but I think the perspective of the base doesn't quite seem to match the perspective of the tent part.
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

lurker wrote:
thespaceinvader wrote:Good to go for my money, but Eleazar has final call on terrain stuff.
Yeah, pity he does not seem to have much time at hand ATM.
I agree. :(
Please feel free to send me a PM when there's a terrain thread i need to respond to. Sometimes just finding the thread is the hard part.

This is good work.
My only complaint is that the texture on the reed roofs looks like it was done with a noise filter. I.E. random variations on color. This effect generally doesn't look good close up. I'm gonna commit it now, but if you want to fix the roof, even better.

The tropical village idea looks promising...
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
lurker
Art Contributor

Post by lurker »

Eleazar wrote:
lurker wrote: Yeah, pity he does not seem to have much time at hand ATM.
I agree. :(
Please feel free to send me a PM when there's a terrain thread i need to respond to. Sometimes just finding the thread is the hard part.
I probably would have, after another week or so, but OTOH I do not want to be a PITA.
Eleazar wrote:This is good work.
My only complaint is that the texture on the reed roofs looks like it was done with a noise filter. I.E. random variations on color. This effect generally doesn't look good close up. I'm gonna commit it now, but if you want to fix the roof, even better.
Glad you asked ;-)
I have used gimp's HSV noise filter, like for almost all of my images. That is a filter where I can set the maximum variation in hue, saturation and value separately, and it works quite well (I used it for the walls and platforms of the swamp-houses, too). In the case of the roofs, I set the hue slider to an extreme amount. Why? Because, googling for real world reed roofs, I found they have really extreme amounts of highlights, e.g.:
To get somewhere near to this almost blinding effect with the limited amount of pixels I had, I found the high hue variation to be best. Of course, it is not hard to tone it down, if you would prefer that, but in this special circumstance I think an exception is actually justified.
Eleazar wrote:The tropical village idea looks promising...
Glad you like it.

Thanks

Lurker
lurker
Art Contributor

Re: Stilt-houses replacement

Post by lurker »

Minor changes (the right one is newer):

- Modified tent to better match the perspective
- Stilts are darker and straighter now
- Darker shadows
tropical_design2.png
tropical_design2.png (46.03 KiB) Viewed 3847 times
lurker
Art Contributor

Re: Stilt-houses replacement

Post by lurker »

Hello,

Here are the two stilthouses I propose as replacements for the current tropical ones. I'd like to elicit a last(?) round of comments, then I will post them as final.
tropical_double.png
tropical_double.png (42.99 KiB) Viewed 3721 times
Thanks

Lurker