Levelling up units

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

serokles

Levelling up units

Post by serokles »

Dear All,

Am a bit confused about levelling up my units. I am on my first playthrough on the iphone and have reached In to the Depths in the Redguard campaign and am struggling. Basically I do not think I have managed my troops correctly and am stuck with some real stinkers. I read the guide and it kept mentioning Royal Guards. I have none of these nor do I remember being able to get them. I have a couple of Pikemen but do not remember getting the option to level them to Swordsmen instead. Have I missed something obvious or is it random chance as to whether a spearman becomes a javelineer/swordsman/pikeman?

Ta

Tim
Ceres
Forum Regular

Re: Levelling up units

Post by Ceres »

If a spearman advances, there should be a menu where you can choose whether it'll advance to a javelineer, a swordsman or a pikeman.
serokles

Post by serokles »

I thought as much. must have just clicked past it or something. thanks for the reply
Joram

Post by Joram »

A further note or two:

1- If the unit levels on the enemy's turn, I believe that the power of choice is taken away from you

2- Some campaigns disable one or more levelling options. This is probably not the case with you, as you say the guard mentions being able to get Royal Guards, but I mention it anyway.

3- Sometimes you get free units that are already level 2. In which case, a levelling branch may be cut off for those specific units (again, doesn't sound like this is your issue, but more info never hurt anyone)
The Fires of Pride 0.3, a heavily story based campaign.
On hold while I try and finish my book
drachefly

Post by drachefly »

Joram wrote:1- If the unit levels on the enemy's turn, I believe that the power of choice is taken away from you
This certainly isn't the case in single player. That would be horrible.
What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step. It is always the same step, but you have to take it. -- You-know-who
The Kingdom Of Loathing Era
Solon64

Post by Solon64 »

This is most certainly the case in multiplayer however. It can be an acceptable strategy to attack an enemy unit close to levelling up in the hopes that it will randomly level it into the unit your foe DOESN'T want it to be.

This can of course backfire horribly if it does still level into the unit your foe wanted, as now he has a full-health and increased damage/utility unit ready to pound your units, doesn't even have to waste a turn as the lower damage/level/health (presumably) unit
Xandria

Post by Xandria »

Solon64 wrote:This is most certainly the case in multiplayer however. It can be an acceptable strategy to attack an enemy unit close to levelling up in the hopes that it will randomly level it into the unit your foe DOESN'T want it to be.

This can of course backfire horribly if it does still level into the unit your foe wanted, as now he has a full-health and increased damage/utility unit ready to pound your units, doesn't even have to waste a turn as the lower damage/level/health (presumably) unit
I'd risk this in the case of a ghost... those wraiths are near impossible to kill with Knalgans, for example.
The fight against human stupidity is endless, but we must never give it up.
- Jan Werich