Commented replays list

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Zaroth
Inactive Developer

Commented replays list

Post by Zaroth »

Hello there!
Inspired by my recent replay, extensively commented by Velensk, I'd like to make an effort to keep track of useful commented replays, regardless of form. It seems cruel to just let them rot in the depths of the forum, where (almost) nobody looks. Since many players often look on advice how to play a certain match-up, I decided to split this compendium in 36 parts, each with certain one.

This list is supposed to help competetive Wesnoth players to improve their multiplayer skills (but of course the usefulness of the advice isn't limited to them), so I'd like to keep the list mostly free of campaign scenarios commentaries, especially if they're heavily dependent on a particular scenario. However, it doesn't mean that commentaries of matches against AI are discouraged overall - my point is only to limit scenario-dependent advice here. And if you want to find campaign replays commentaries, it's usually much easier to find them using Search function, since they usually have descriptive topic names (which isn't always the case with multiplayer commentaries).

List entries have the following format:
  • (year)-(month) (commenter) (player A) vs (player B) + ev. (vid) - (map) (comments)
This format can occasionally change, when the description becomes too long or when I feel that additional comments are needed. When computer controls one of the sides, his player name is always AI.

Also, please note that Drakes vs Loyalists isn't the same as Loyalists vs Drakes. The former contains advice on how to play Drakes correctly, the latter on playing Loyalists. Since some of them (like most of neki's videos) contain useful advice for both sides, such replays will be listed in both sections.

If you know a commented replay which isn't listed here, PM me. I'll slowly dig through this forum's archives to find the interesting ones, but I don't have an infinite amount of time, you know ;-)

Links to jump to certain parts of the list: Also, please keep in mind that all replays that aren't video replays can't be watched without certain version of Battle for Wesnoth. Here is the list of Wesnoth stable versions with corresponding release years (it's most probable that a replay can be watched on the most recent stable version of Wesnoth at that time): For those not familiar with map names:
Spoiler:
PS If you see a mistake in a description (or you want me to list a replay review that isn't listed here), PM me.
Last edited by Iris on October 21st, 2013, 1:04 am, edited 28 times in total.
Reason: Retiring obsolete sticky.
Zaroth
Inactive Developer

Commented replays list - Loyalists

Post by Zaroth »

Loyalists vs Loyalists
  • no replays yet
Loyalists vs Rebels Loyalists vs Northeners Loyalists vs Undead Loyalists vs Knalgan Alliance Loyalists vs Drakes
Last edited by Zaroth on April 8th, 2011, 10:26 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Zaroth
Inactive Developer

Commented replays list - Rebels

Post by Zaroth »

Rebels vs Loyalists Rebels vs Rebels Rebels vs Northeners Rebels vs Undead Rebels vs Knalgan Alliance Rebels vs Drakes
Last edited by Zaroth on March 6th, 2011, 4:37 pm, edited 12 times in total.
Zaroth
Inactive Developer

Commented replays list - Northeners

Post by Zaroth »

Northeners vs Loyalists Northeners vs Rebels Northeners vs Northeners
  • no replays yet
Northeners vs Undead Northeners vs Knalgan Alliance Northeners vs Drakes
Last edited by Zaroth on April 8th, 2011, 10:26 pm, edited 21 times in total.
Zaroth
Inactive Developer

Commented replays list - Undead

Post by Zaroth »

Undead vs Loyalists Undead vs Rebels Undead vs Northeners Undead vs Undead
  • no replays yet
Undead vs Knalgan Alliance Undead vs Drakes
Last edited by Zaroth on March 28th, 2011, 8:25 pm, edited 19 times in total.
Zaroth
Inactive Developer

Commented replays list - Knalgan Alliance

Post by Zaroth »

Knalgan Alliance vs Loyalists Knalgan Alliance vs Rebels Knalgan Alliance vs Northeners Knalgan Alliance vs Undead Knalgan Alliance vs Knalgan Alliance Knalgan Alliance vs Drakes
Last edited by Zaroth on March 6th, 2011, 4:43 pm, edited 20 times in total.
Zaroth
Inactive Developer

Commented replays list - Drakes

Post by Zaroth »

Drakes vs Loyalists Drakes vs Rebels Drakes vs Northeners Drakes vs Undead Drakes vs Knalgan Alliance Drakes vs Drakes
  • no replays yet
Last edited by Zaroth on March 22nd, 2011, 12:55 am, edited 9 times in total.
Zaroth
Inactive Developer

Commented replays list - 2v2

Post by Zaroth »

Last edited by Zaroth on February 20th, 2011, 1:29 am, edited 10 times in total.
Zaroth
Inactive Developer

Commented replays list - other

Post by Zaroth »

• The Blitzkrieg! thread - lots of tips and replays on rushing for every faction, particularly HODOR
  • The Archive of HODOR - topic containing lots of replays on one particular strategy, called HODOR (more details inside), often commented by fellow hodorists
FFA games
Rigor

Re: Commented replays list

Post by Rigor »

good job! i thought it might have been too much of an effort but u manged it exceptionally well! keep up the good work, zaroth!
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

in fact it was SUCH a good job that i went into a casting frenzy...just for u :)

poor neki i am awaiting the counter already where IM the loser :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... &start=645

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzkFMQAYvj4
Huumy

Post by Huumy »

There is so much stuff!

I'm gonna also "publish" my King of the Frontier - Group stages replay pack once I finish the last game with Cremember :)

Anyways Great to see all this material linked in one thread :)
"And the girl that you want is directly out in front, And she’s waving her caboose at you, You sneeze achoo, She calls you out and boom!"
The offspring, trolling you since forever.
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

hey, i made a step-by-step comment while playing some time ago on hamlets, the matchup was orcs v drakes.
i took a look at the rp just now and i think the explanation is understandable and good for beginners and advanced players. i explained why i did what with one turn delay. my opponent was argentino.
hf :eng:

comments: http://ladder.subversiva.org/gamedetail ... %3A57%3A44
Attachments
20110328175744_argentino_vs_Rigor_wesnoth-ladder.gz
arg v r hamlets
(15.21 KiB) Downloaded 627 times
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

i just remembered that i commented some more games in detail, here is one against wintermute it was loys (me) against orcs with emphasizing the cavalries power in that matchup. i just remembered because i read wintermute posting again, so here is the rp - at the bottom of the page: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... &start=630
satchakel

Post by satchakel »

Huumy wrote: I'm gonna also "publish" my King of the Frontier - Group stages replay pack once I finish the last game with Cremember :)
waiting for that