Failure to use full recruit list - still in 1.9.5

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

The information for 1.9.4 follows. See this post for the 1.9.5 revision.
-- shadowmaster

In the thread Goblins not recruited?, I reported that the full recruitment list is not used under 1.9.2 and 1.9.3 for some campaigns. It's still the case under 1.9.4. I looked on the bug website, and I couldn't find this bug described generally, though there is bug #17038, which describes it for a particular scenario.

Here is how to reproduce the problem, using the attached savefile for "Northern Rebirth 3: To the mines", run it under 1.9.4, hit end turn a few times, and note that the AI recruits only Goblin Knights. The full recruitment list is:

Code: Select all

recruit=Wolf Rider,Goblin Knight,Goblin Pillager
Now go to Battle for Wesnoth 1.9.4\data\ai\utils\default_config.cfg and find these two lines:

{DEFAULT_ASPECT_VALUE recruitment_ignore_bad_combat no}
{DEFAULT_ASPECT_VALUE recruitment_ignore_bad_movement no}
Replace each "no" with "yes", like so:

{DEFAULT_ASPECT_VALUE recruitment_ignore_bad_combat yes}
{DEFAULT_ASPECT_VALUE recruitment_ignore_bad_movement yes}
Quit the Wesnoth program if you haven't already. Restart Wesnoth from scratch and reload the scenario file. Now, you will see that it recruits all three options: Goblin Pillagers and Wolf Riders in addition to Knights.

This really has a huge effect on some scenarios, making them either much easier or harder, messing up the balance. Basically, 1.9.* up to 1.9.4 are majorly broken for campaigns.

I can't think of any reason a campaign author would write a recruit command and not want all the options exercised. Couldn't the simple change I made above be done for the released code? Is there some good reason the defaults are "no"?

Just for record, my OS is Windows 7, 64-bit.
Attachments
NR-To_the_Mines.gz
(14.69 KiB) Downloaded 259 times
Gambit
Loose Screw

Re: Failure to use full recruit list - still in 1.9.4

Post by Gambit »

Did you ever file a bug report?
Maiklas3000

Re: Failure to use full recruit list - still in 1.9.4

Post by Maiklas3000 »

I didn't file a bug report before, because there is already that bug #17038. But at your hint, I have now filed bug #17591.
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

As previously reported, there is a problem under 1.9 of campaign scenarios failing to use the full recruit list. This is still a problem under 1.9.5. Here is the problem graphically:

On the left is the first turn recruitment under 1.9.5 for TRoW: A Final Spring. On the right is the recruitment with ignore bad movment and bad combat flags set. Without that modification, it will never recruit most of the options on the recruit list.

The relevant bug report is bug #17591.
Iris
Site Administrator

Re: Failure to use full recruit list - still in 1.9.5

Post by Iris »

Hi,

We don’t need multiple threads for a single bug that affects several versions of the same series in exactly the same way. I’ve merged both threads.

Moreover, there’s a bug report in the tracker (as you mentioned yourself), which makes this thread resurrection somewhat redundant.

I prodded the AI engine maintainer for you, in any case.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.