Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
DUHH
Art Contributor

Re: The Hammer of Thursagan portrait repaints

Post by DUHH »

Ohhh... Long time. I will stop promising to finish this off by any deadline. My schedule is too erratic. Still really want to do more. Anyhow... Here´s an update on Pelias.

Not finished. Missing mostly polish.
Attachments
PeliasC.png
PeliasC.png (201.24 KiB) Viewed 4094 times
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

His sword needs to actually be in some form of scabbard ;)

You also need to make sure it doesn't get wider towards the tip, which it seems to at the moment.

Looks reasonable otherwise.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
StDrake

Post by StDrake »

It is in a scabbard can't you see? a metal one xD
the widening might be an illusion, but still worthy of avoiding
I'm a little troubled by his face, other elements look serious and the face seems..cartoony. I'd blame it on the dark outlines, couldn't the borders between objects be done with some kind of shading instead?..or maybe that's the triangular looking eye..
Like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick ass with!
Don't like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick their asses! So everyone's happy :)
Felinian faction is part of the Beyond Southern Hells era
kitties need sprites! art topic here
DUHH
Art Contributor

Post by DUHH »

Haha! Scabbard! Jeeez.... Silly me. :doh:

Regarding the face: Coloring the lines is the last thing I do. Before that I will darken som shadows somewhat, and work on the eyes. It will look like the rest of my portraits.
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Maybe it's too late to say this, and I'm by no means a physician or a sword expert, but shouldn't the sword be more vertical (due to gravity)? Not entirely so, of course, but the current angle seems too wide to me ... :hmm:
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
DUHH
Art Contributor

Post by DUHH »

I´m guessing that would depend on a lot of circumstances with the sword, scabbard, belt, and movement. I´m not gonna adjust the angle. But thanks for the comment. Will consider it the next time.

Regarding the lack of a scabbard... Went back to earlier versions to look... Seems I planned to draw a scabbard, just forgot it when I picked up the drawing again this year. :lol2:
Frenzik

Post by Frenzik »

His right are seems smaller than his left...Also, i would ajust his helmet. Make the cheek guards straighter. More like a roman Helmet.. .Thats my personal opinion though, and i don't really care what you decide to do. I am an pencil artist (not sure what you call it, i'm just not into 2d graphics as much-good old black and white for me :) ) , so i realize the freedom of artistic ability. :)

the color of that thingy/scroll /tube above his sword is a bit to bright and solid... Otherwise, awesome job!
Bboy Frenzik
My campaign-Memoirs of a Thief 0.9.4a (1.8.5) (updated) http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=33001
War of Terrador Portrait Art http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=33030
Reepurr

Post by Reepurr »

Frenzik wrote:His right are seems smaller than his left...Also, i would ajust his helmet. Make the cheek guards straighter. More like a roman Helmet.. .Thats my personal opinion though, and i don't really care what you decide to do. I am an pencil artist (not sure what you call it, i'm just not into 2d graphics as much-good old black and white for me :) ) , so i realize the freedom of artistic ability. :)

the color of that thingy/scroll /tube above his sword is a bit to bright and solid... Otherwise, awesome job!
Interestingly shaped cheek guards are interesting.

The thingy/scroll/tube above his sword isn't shaded yet. That's why it looks odd.
"What do you mean, "a dwarvish dragonguard with marksman is overpowered"?"

Story of a Drake Outcast | The Nonsense Era
Played HttT-Underground Channels? Thought it was rubbish? Help us develop it here!
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Good to have you back :)

While his gear is rather on the detailed side, the helm and pauldrons are very cartoonish. This is due to :
a) very round shapes
b) lack of details such as rivets, strips of metal, dents, ...

I'm duly noting that you're not done yet and this might already be planned as part of the polishing, but I'll insist there's a lot to be gained in overall quality by getting rid of those cartoonish details. :)
lostnumber

Post by lostnumber »

This might be a little too nitpicky but the arrows in his quiver kind of look like they are one giant shape instead of a group of individual arrows. I'm not artistic enough to explain how you might fix that however
DUHH
Art Contributor

Post by DUHH »

Thanks people! Some fixes:
Attachments
PeliasD.png
PeliasD.png (247.04 KiB) Viewed 3547 times
StDrake

Post by StDrake »

is there a stray light pixel where the shaded part of the scabbard goes past the coat, or is that some feature i failed to understand?
so far so good, don't forget the wooden part of the bow on his back, that needs shading too and we're waiting for those face outlines
Like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick ass with!
Don't like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick their asses! So everyone's happy :)
Felinian faction is part of the Beyond Southern Hells era
kitties need sprites! art topic here
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Referring to the unit, shouldn't Pelias be a lancer? Why is he carrying a sword and not a lance? Why the bow anyway? :hmm:
Anyways, keep up the good work. :)
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

No, he's not a Lancer. He's not actually a current unit at all, he is from a putative new campaign faction representing the Northern Alliance humans, he only uses the sprite he does as a stand-in. He's a non-combatant anyway.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
DUHH
Art Contributor

Post by DUHH »

Starting to look finished?
Attachments
PeliasE.png
PeliasE.png (221.33 KiB) Viewed 3364 times