The Fires of Pride (0.3.0)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Joram

The Fires of Pride (0.3.0)

Post by Joram »

Last Update 2/11/2011

4/16/2011: Public Service Announcement #1
5/7/2012: Public Service Announcement #2

Greetings all, and welcome to my first campaign.

In the old days, before the comings of humans to the great continent, a mighty elf warrior attempts to undue the vengeance that his rival has taken. As he struggles to save the one he loves, he must come to terms with the consequences of his anger, folly, and pride.

Goals

My goals with this campaign are as follows:

1- To create a strong story. I am working towards this by having as much of the plot as possible driven by characters, rather than events. Furthermore, I hope to flesh out more than just the main character. As an indication of how extensively I'm going in this direction, 4 out of the 14 planned scenarios are dialogue only (if you don't count the occasional attack animation ^_^ ). If you think this sounds incredibly boring, then perhaps this isn't the campaign for you. I hope that isn't the case though. I actually don't usually like long council scenes, but that is because they are almost always about events. My goal with the dialogue only scenarios is to focus on the characters. Not sure if the difference really means all the much, but I'm liking it so far.

2- To have interesting gameplay with unusual strategic and tactical situations. I do not know if I'll ever succeed on this one, but to give you an example, I'm trying to create maps where getting 4+ Elvish Scouts is a viable strategic move, and in some cases even the most desirable. And no, not just by making huge maps; I've tried to keep them as small as possible, with the exception of a few large battles, such as the first scenario. Rather, by making terrain or combat situations where you need to reach objectives before the enemy, or where flanking and village stealing are more available as tactical choices. Perhaps I'm doing a rotten job, but you might want to level a Rider or two in the first scenario, just in case. :wink:

3- To tie in with current Wesnoth history. If you're curious as to how I'm going to do that in a campaign set 1600 years before the humans came to the Great Continent, well, you'll just have to wait and see. :P

Current Status:

last updated 1/18/11

Changelogs
0.2.0, January 25, 2011
0.3.0, February 11, 2011

1- 7 out of 14 scenarios functional, albeit in need of some balancing and possible redesign (particularly #5 and #6)

2- No portraits are done, which is okay for now since I've stolen a bunch from the mainline campaigns

3- There are currently no special units in the campaign that need spritework done, however I may include them further down the road after the story is mostly finished (for example, the hero is arguably deserving of his own unit type)

4- Scenarios were balanced on the medium difficulty, but are arguably rather difficult for that level. I erred on the side of too difficult. Difficulty was shifted slightly in either direction for hard and easy.

To-do List
sorted by priority

1- Finish the other 7 scenarios

2- Balance the current ones

3- Introduce some more advanced WML techniques into the campaign to streamline certain plot elements (everything I want to do can be worked around using normal WML, but I'd feel like I was cutting corners if I didn't go all out).

4- Try my hand at spriting a bit, and see if I can come up with a special unit for the hero

5- Convince some poor fool to create original portraits for me (actually, since this doesn't involve any work on my part, I should have placed it higher).

What You Can Do

You want to help? Great! Please write up the code for my next 4 scenarios and get it to me by next week, okay?

Actually though, playtesting would be a great help. I'm especially interested in these things:
1- What was your reaction to the story? I realize it isn't finished, but did it strike you as bland? Interesting? Nonexistant? The greatest thing that's ever happened to the game? If you have any suggestions for the story, I'd love to hear them. Even if you don't have suggestions, I'll take opinions to.

2- How did the maps feel to you? This is actually my biggest concern at the moment. I can sit happily WMLing away for a couple hours, and coming up with story and dialogue is usually fun, but making maps is difficult. If you don't like a map for any reason, please share. If you DO like a map, I'd love to hear that as well. If you want to volunteer to make maps, I will fall on my knees in front of you in order to more easily kiss your shoes.

3- Difficulty. The obvious one. Actually, it's what I care least about at this point. As long as I have the trusty "Create Unit" in debug mode, I won't have any trouble beating it. :P

Feedback Form: Feel free to disregard if you have something to say that doesn't fit!
(It's more like guidlines than actual rules)

1. What difficulty and version of Wesnoth were you playing?

2. How difficult did you find this campaign? What were the hardest scenarios?

3. Did any scenarios strike you as being too easy/difficult?

4. What were the primary factors contributing to those scenarios easiness/difficulty?

5. What do you think of the story? Do you have any suggestions for a different approach/direction for it to take? (or any guesses regarding where it's going? :wink: )

Campaign Storyline Summary
WARNING! MEGA SPOILERS!
Spoiler:
Last edited by Joram on May 7th, 2012, 6:03 pm, edited 15 times in total.
The Fires of Pride 0.3, a heavily story based campaign.
On hold while I try and finish my book
Joram

Re: The Fires of Pride

Post by Joram »

Changelog: version 0.2.0
Updated 1/25/2011

- Added 6th scenario, A Path Followed
- Uploaded campaign to the 1.9.4 server
- Corrected all issues that feedback brought to my attention :whistle:

version 0.2.1
- Fixed an error with the map paths that was breaking the campaign
- Fixed an error with the final message of Scenario #5 and #6
Last edited by Joram on January 26th, 2011, 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ceres
Forum Regular

Re: The Fires of Pride (0.2.0)

Post by Ceres »

Ehm, campaign not loading on 1.9.4 due to misspelling in the map path.
"~add-ons/The_Fires_Of_Pride/maps/..." should be "~add-ons/The_Fires_Of_Pride/Maps/...", to match the folder name, in the third scenario.
Further you appear to have added numbers to the map names, but forgot to change the map paths.
perseo

Post by perseo »

First of all, I think you must try to play the campaign before uploading it, because this campaign doesn't work properly.
A few things:
1_If you name the folders with a capital letter, you must put the capital leter in the scenarios, for example the _main file says:
{~add-ons/The_Fires_Of_Pride/scenarios}
and folder's name is Scenarios, so the campaign can't start. Another one, the first scenario says
map_data="{~add-ons/The_Fires_Of_Pride/maps/01_For_Fame_And_Glory.map}"
and it must say:
map_data="{~add-ons/The_Fires_Of_Pride/Maps/01_For_Fame_And_Glory.map}"
2_Your scenarios .fg files are a bit untidy, I think you must follow a order to put write them, if not they're so difficult to find the mistakes. For example the header of a scenario file must be something like that
#textdomain wesnoth-LGA
[scenario]
id="01_Romper el cerco"
next_scenario="02_El bosque susurrante"
name= _"Romper el cerco"
map_data="{~add-ons/La_guardia_austral/maps/01_romper_el_cerco.map}"
turns=20

{DEFAULT_SCHEDULE}
{SCENARIO_MUSIC "northern_mountains.ogg"}
{EXTRA_SCENARIO_MUSIC heroes_rite.ogg}
(for exmaple) but you put the things scattered all over the file.
3_ It's good to put 3 or 4 spaces before tags like [event] or [unit] for better follow of the WML.

Other last thing not related with the coding, the objetive in the first scenario is a bit unclear... What exatcly means "break the orcish center"? Why you don't said something like "kill Ugluk"?

Without encourage of disturb you, Perseo
"I was pulling a barrow, when I saw a stalking horse
what a beautiful day!- he said- for visiting a red herring
and getting hoarse."
Working on this campaign: The septentrional tower
Joram

Post by Joram »

perseo wrote:First of all, I think you must try to play the campaign before uploading it, because this campaign doesn't work properly.
I thank you for your suggestion, but I did and have and it works perfectly well on my computer. The only, and I repeat, the only issue is the one that Ceres brought up about the map names. I made a careless change at a moment when I was somewhat rushed for time and needed to meet someone, and broke the campaign. Everything else has been tested and works. So unless there are different rules for campaigns that you download from the add-on server and those you create yourself, the campaign should be in working order.

Ceres wrote:Ehm, campaign not loading on 1.9.4 due to misspelling in the map path.
"~add-ons/The_Fires_Of_Pride/maps/..." should be "~add-ons/The_Fires_Of_Pride/Maps/...", to match the folder name, in the third scenario.
Further you appear to have added numbers to the map names, but forgot to change the map paths.
Are you quite sure? The map numbers was, ehm, yeah. A bit of an error on my part. So sorry. :oops:

But That is the only issue on my version. The "maps" vs "Maps" has absolutely no effect, and it has been that way ever since version 0.1.0, which worked perfectly fine. I'll go through each and change it (no sense in needless inconsistencies), but it isn't causing any issues here.

The technical difficulties hopefully have been addressed, and the campaign should be in working order now. Thank you both.
bigkahuna

Post by bigkahuna »

Joram wrote:the campaign should be in working order now. Thank you both.
*cough*

In the third scenario, change

Code: Select all

map_data="{~add-ons/The_Fires_Of_Pride/maps/The_Dragon.map}"
to

map_data="{~add-ons/The_Fires_Of_Pride/maps/03_The_Dragon.map}"
In the fourth scenario, change

map_data="{~add-ons/The_Fires_Of_Pride/maps/Orcs_in_the_Woods.map}"
to

map_data="{~add-ons/The_Fires_Of_Pride/maps/04_Orcs_in_the_Woods.map}"
It appears you haven't fixed the map problem yet :lol2: I DID check the other scenarios and they had no map_data errors. I'm curious why you skipped these two :wink:
Check out my campaign Sweet Revenge!
Join the new R2D forum!
Joram

Post by Joram »

bigkahuna wrote: It appears you haven't fixed the map problem yet :lol2: I DID check the other scenarios and they had no map_data errors. I'm curious why you skipped these two :wink:
What version are you on?

What is your download time?

At the time of posting, the maps were fixed. It is possible that you got "0.2.1" before I made the changes, but that's because I'm still experimenting with the whole version numbering thing (which still makes it my problem).

EDIT: Apologies, 1.9 vs 1.8 issues. Also, the complication of trying to edit the "(M)maps" in both versions. NOW it is fixed on 1.8 as well (where prior it was just on 1.9).
bigkahuna

Re: The Fires of Pride (0.2.1)

Post by bigkahuna »

Joram wrote:What version are you on?
I was on 1.9.2, but DID download it prior to the update. My bad, didn't see the time of the posting.

First Scenario Feedback -

A. Unclear. "Break the center"? I didn't see any of the other elvish lords who were supposed to be flanking, so I assumed that the entire group of orcs was the center.

B. Hard. Usually I have shamans, and they spammed assassins on me (had never happened before to me :lol2: ) Not many trees in the middle, so I didn't have much cover. Once I made it to the warlords I didn't have many units left (and they were level three, which didn't turn out well).

C. Quiet. At the first part of the scenario there was a lot of talking, and then the elves were gone. There were no inscenario events (the orcs didn't even talk) and not much going on at all. I misunderstood the flanking part (see above), since no elves ever came as reinforcements.
Check out my campaign Sweet Revenge!
Join the new R2D forum!
perseo

Post by perseo »

Another thing I've just remark, It seems to be two scenarios numbre 5, but in number 4 there isn't a choose possible. How does it work? If you want some special units, I'm making a lot for practise and I can make it for you.
and getting hoarse."
Reepurr

Post by Reepurr »

perseo wrote:If you want some special units, I'm making a lot for practice and I can make it for you.
It takes about two minutes to learn how to do that. I'm sure Joram already knows how.
"What do you mean, "a dwarvish dragonguard with marksman is overpowered"?"

Story of a Drake Outcast | The Nonsense Era
Played HttT-Underground Channels? Thought it was rubbish? Help us develop it here!
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Maybe he meant artwork, he has an Art Workshop thread. (Where he also got dope-slapped, for some reason.)
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
perseo

Post by perseo »

I meant the artwork of the units, cause I use synfig studio and gimp and I'm getting very good results (for the animations). Obviusly even my grandma can modificate the units file...
and getting hoarse."
sur.nhm

Post by sur.nhm »

1. Easy, BfW 1.9.4+svn (r48377).
(And the rest of the form isn't relevant for me, as I have barely played the campaign.)
I. The first scenario's objective isn't clear.
II. All the elves, except those who use generic portraits (the Captain and the Marksman), don't have any. Possibly a problem with the scenario's WML.
III. The middle Orcish Warlord's name is from the Lord of the Rings, change it (copyright issues?). Also, a little more variation in the Orcs' names would be nice.
Otherwise, great. The story (what little from it that I've read) is magnificent, and the map is rather nice. ^_^
I'm not really around any more, but you can find me in TvTropes.
Joram

Post by Joram »

Several issues:

1- Unclear Objectives
Everyone so far who has commented on it has complained that the objectives in the first scenario is unclear. Quite so. It will be revised. At the time I had the brilliant idea of making the objectives "story themed", as in, phrased like it was the main characters objective. Well there is a fine line between genius and madness, and I think that this idea was 3 miles to the left of it.

2- The ghost Scenario
perseo wrote:Another thing I've just remark, It seems to be two scenarios number 5, but in number 4 there isn't a choose possible. How does it work?
I made an early attempt at creating this campaign where Scenario #3 was the first scenario. I got all the way to scenario 5, but then made some revisions to the storyline. I then moved up, updating the files as I went, but haven't gotten to the original 5 yet. Thus, the "second 5" will be revised to be #7. At the moment, it is just a ghost file.

3- Missing Portraits
*gulps* Uh, I'll have a look at this as soon as possible. Hopefully I'll get it fixed by this evening at the latest. EDIT: Made a change which might help.

4- Names
Hehe, yeah. At the time of making that scenario, I just threw in the first name that occurred to me, then changed it slightly for the other leaders. I do something similar at a couple later points. Names will be revised before final version, though the one you mention specifically should probably be changed sooner than that.

5- Undeserved Praise
sur.nhm wrote:Otherwise, great. The story (what little from it that I've read) is magnificent, and the map is rather nice.
Thank you, thank you. This was a wonderful little morale boost for me. There's more to existence than error messages and broken code. My life has joy and meaning. I feel that-- am I boring everyone?

Anyway, thank you all.

perseo wrote:If you want some special units, I'm making a lot for practise and I can make it for you.
If you want to practice making something "elvish warrior"-ish, I'd take it in a heart beat. It would be a lot easier, rather than just giving Elendar the strong, quick, intelligent, resilient traits to just make him a special unit that gets slightly better stats.

I don't like to ask people to do work for me when there's so much left undone (after all, what if I never finished this? How would you feel about contributing to it then?). But if you want to get some sprites, I'd definitely see about coding them in.
perseo

Post by perseo »

Yes, I've got some drafts fore a special elvish unit I called the legend-breaker, It's got a melee attack and a magic attack. I'll finish and I'll post it.

PD:I've just upload the image of the legend breaker. When I finish the animations I'll load it (about 3 or 4 days, cause I haven't got all the time I want).
Attachments
rompeleyendas.png
rompeleyendas.png (4.3 KiB) Viewed 4652 times
and getting hoarse."