Faction without era, A.N.O.

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Rozard

Faction without era, A.N.O.

Post by Rozard »

Hi, I have worked on on faction.
I call it A.N.O, its cultic human race that research dark forces like shadow art and demons, how to make use for them and how to counter them.
basically the whole race members looks really alike, because standards of robes that they wear.
general the race lack lots of animation but its playable and Im still working for it.
Also, I want thank krotop for his big help, without his help I couldnt have done this!

Strenght of A.N.O
-All members have nightstalk abilitie (whole army disappears at night fall!), except demon spawns and demons.
-Lots special abilities (Almost everyone have something).
-Some members are loyal (every member have joined for their own interests).
-Units learn fast (every mage type member only need 40xp to level).
-Magic users from three elements (Fire, Cold and Arcane).
-A.N.O members are faster than basic humans (example: mage type members dodges easier than basic mages).

Weakness of A.N.O
-Corruption, every mage type lv1 members are prone to dark forces and have 5% chance to turn in to pitiful spawn of Demon
(a mass attack may end to be really costly.)(A.N.O have also warding units against corruption but their weak in fight.)(Big thank to the Krotop for this ability!)
-Members have low hp (mage type member have about 20 hp, spawn have 15 hp).
-Lack of raw melee force (mage type lv1 and some lv2 members dont have melee moves).
-Abilities of A.N.O are intent to destroy shattered enemy force (Massive line fight may end up in to fail).

Members in action against those foolish elves.

Ignorant human dare to step in our lands.

This is unfortunate! Corruption took one our members!

This is only a faction and I was hoping that theres someone with era and in need of one special race.
I would be happy if someone would be ready to accept my work. Only thing I ask is dont edit this faction, but I will hearout every suggestion and edit it my self!
(so I can keep track on it mostly) And of course, I dont prevent anyone from editing abilities (because I havent created them), but I likely be informed when edited.

Edit: Faction is now playable in "Beyond Southern Hells" era.
Please enjoy, and remember give feedback sometime!
Last edited by Rozard on February 8th, 2011, 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~We go with night to harvest of life~
Creator and maintenancer of A.N.O cult faction,here.
(balacing state)
A.N.O operate in Beyond Southern Hells era,here
StDrake

Re: Faction without era, A.N.O.

Post by StDrake »

Rozard wrote:Abilities of A.N.O are intent to destroy shattered enemy force (Massive line fight may end up in to fail).
You mean to say 'scattered' - as in not many in one place, 'shattered' means broken.
This is only a faction and I was hoping that theres someone with era and in need of one special race.
I would be happy if someone would be ready to accept my work. Only thing I ask is dont edit this faction, but I will hearout every suggestion and edit it my self!
(so I can keep track on it mostly) And of course, I dont prevent anyone from editing abilities (because I havent created them), but I likely be informed when edited.

Also, Im searching creators of some abilities right now, I will not give out my work until I found them.
Funny, I'm in a similar situation, thus I just uploaded my faction into addons as an era with the default races. I could add yours then there would be twice the fun in one, and we could round up a few more derelict factions, make up a unifying storyline and end up with a more or less 'consistent' era xD.
Btw I make my abilities myself, sometimes asking for help in the wml forum. If you need anything done I could probably help with that along with my own.

P.S. which version(s) of wesnoth is it compatible with?
Like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick ass with!
Don't like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick their asses! So everyone's happy :)
Felinian faction is part of the Beyond Southern Hells era
kitties need sprites! art topic here
Rozard

Post by Rozard »

I have been testing this faction in wesnoth 1.8.3 and I belief that it works fine in newer versions.
Rozard wrote:You mean to say 'scattered' - as in not many in one place, 'shattered' means broken.
yeah, I meant to say scattered, sorry. :/
Rozard wrote:Btw I make my abilities myself, sometimes asking for help in the wml forum. If you need anything done I could probably help with that along with my own.
Nice to hear someones willing to help, but abilities are stable right now since I picked up them from ageless era and now I have to find their original authors...
But in near future I will create few more units for this faction and Im pretty lost about their abilities.
Rozard wrote:Funny, I'm in a similar situation, thus I just uploaded my faction into addons as an era with the default races. I could add yours then there would be twice the fun in one, and we could round up a few more derelict factions, make up a unifying storyline and end up with a more or less 'consistent' era xD.
Sounds fun! What is your work called?
(balacing state)
StDrake

Post by StDrake »

The temporary name is default+felinians (felinian being the race of my faction), I've made it for 1.9.3, but a few cuts here and there and it should go on 1.8.5 as well. Assuming that between 1.8.3 and 1.8.5 there were only bugfixes and no syntax changes then that should make them compatible.
Links to corresponding topics about it are in my signature.

Heh, misunderstanding there, thought you were looking for someone to make more abilities not those who made ones already present :)
Don't like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick their asses! So everyone's happy :)
Reepurr

Post by Reepurr »

[asks the obvious]
question= <<
What does A.N.O. stand for?
>>
[/asks the obvious]

Besides that, it .sounds. like a good idea. Ever going to be put on the 1.9 server?
"What do you mean, "a dwarvish dragonguard with marksman is overpowered"?"

Story of a Drake Outcast | The Nonsense Era
Played HttT-Underground Channels? Thought it was rubbish? Help us develop it here!
StDrake

Post by StDrake »

the second question i can (partially) answer - if he sends his faction to join mine then yes, cause my furballs are on 1.9
Rozard

Post by Rozard »

StDrake wrote:The temporary name is default+felinians (felinian being the race of my faction), I've made it for 1.9.3, but a few cuts here and there and it should go on 1.8.5 as well. Assuming that between 1.8.3 and 1.8.5 there were only bugfixes and no syntax changes then that should make them compatible.
Links to corresponding topics about it are in my signature.

Oh! so it seems...
I dont wound your add-on in 1.8.3 list so I quess I download the new one.
StDrake wrote:Heh, misunderstanding there, thought you were looking for someone to make more abilities not those who made ones already present
Now that I look my text... I dont think you would be only one. Sorry for that.
Reepurr wrote:What does A.N.O. stand for?
I knew this would be asked... well, I begin to create this whole stuff (not for wesnoth tho) when I was younger (little kid) and I called it A.N.O from there to this day...
But, if you want it to stand something, it would be Abnormal Night Observatory... but Im not sure if its the final.
(balacing state)
PeterPorty
Translator

Post by PeterPorty »

*Cough* Abysmal Night Order *Cough*
"The real world is for people who can't imagine anything better."
Reepurr

Post by Reepurr »

[acronym=Abnormal Night Observatory sounds kinda rubbish and it should be something more like "Archaic Nocturnal Ones"]Ah okay.[/acronym]

When will this be released on ...er... Anything.x? Giant nightstalking army sounds fun, I've always liked shadows...

Tons of balance issues though, just in the ideas, obviously I haven't played it but here are the (probably) problems.
1. Yeah, I spent 20 gold on a unit...and it turned into a corrupted thing. I can still control him, but...he's level 0? ARGH
(small annoyance factor too)
2. If you don't have any raw melee force, you're in trouble. If you have scattered melee units against Drakes, Northerners or anyone else with overly strong melee units, you're still in trouble.
3. Magic users that use fire, cold and arcane though not all at once. Well. Arcane is intentionally very rare - it can rip undead to shreds before you can blink, and deal decent damage to most other units (except humans). Then they have cold as well, which is all you need to kill a drake...
4. If units level faster, they'll have to be weaker to balance it out. Endless problems.
5. If they're faster...they'll still have to be weaker to balance it out. Your army might turn into very expensive orcs at this rate...
"What do you mean, "a dwarvish dragonguard with marksman is overpowered"?"

Story of a Drake Outcast | The Nonsense Era
Played HttT-Underground Channels? Thought it was rubbish? Help us develop it here!
Rozard

Post by Rozard »

PeterPorty wrote:Abysmal Night Order
that sounds really good one... must think!
Reepurr wrote:1. Yeah, I spent 20 gold on a unit...and it turned into a corrupted thing. I can still control him, but...he's level 0? ARGH
Hehe! Thats about it! theres a price to be paid to use dark powers!
But I can tell this: if you manage to kill enough with this lv.0 spawn of demon, it will grow it to "Bliss Demon" and its lv.3 unit and strong one...
But believe me grow spawn to demon needs hella much luck.
Reepurr wrote:2. If you don't have any raw melee force, you're in trouble. If you have scattered melee units against Drakes, Northerners or anyone else with overly strong melee units, you're still in trouble.
Well... ANO have only a assassin type melee unit (backstab unit in face-to-face... you know.) and defensive melee unit (with semi attack force).
But if enemy is scattered then assassins have good chance to backstab and then they have stronger melee than orcs have but I dont really count it as a raw power...
(dont ask, what about piled up orc mass? I dont really know what to do to them if that happens... tactics?)
Reepurr wrote:3. Magic users that use fire, cold and arcane though not all at once. Well. Arcane is intentionally very rare - it can rip undead to shreds before you can blink, and deal decent damage to most other units (except humans). Then they have cold as well, which is all you need to kill a drake...
Is that really a problem? You can always pick one of those elements against enemy whos weak against it.
Reepurr wrote:4. If units level faster, they'll have to be weaker to balance it out. Endless problems.
Well... 20hp and corruption, there must be something good to manage to survive to second level... right?
Reepurr wrote:5. If they're faster...they'll still have to be weaker to balance it out.
The same as to the last one...
(balacing state)
Rozard

Post by Rozard »

I guess Ill give this faction to StDrake's era now.

Hope it wll be downloadable soon in wesnoth.
(balacing state)
StDrake

Post by StDrake »

I'll see how to fit those together, thanks.

The first idea i got was making a 'Beyond Southern Hells' era - connecting A.N.O. to the scarcely mentionned in wesnothian lores human presence on the shores far south of Heartwood (which is the main habitat of felinians, partially explaining why it's a rather unknown and foreboding place to the mainline-known civilisations). I'll still have to read details of what you sent me to validate that.

unfortunately right now I need to focus on my diploma work, so we'll see the effect probably somewhere at the start of february
Rozard

Post by Rozard »

StDrake wrote:The first idea i got was making a 'Beyond Southern Hells' era - connecting A.N.O. to the scarcely mentionned in wesnothian lores human presence on the shores far south of Heartwood (which is the main habitat of felinians, partially explaining why it's a rather unknown and foreboding place to the mainline-known civilisations). I'll still have to read details of what you sent me to validate that.
Sounds really good!
I guess A.N.O members dont really want to be in connections with other humans, it would be fatal if imperium of wesnoth would notice A.N.Os secret researches, so they have build their crypts in the lands far in the south.

Maybe I should create somekind story/info sheet about A.N.O so it would easier to understand what they do, what they want and why they would fight others.

Sorry, that my units dont have description right now, but I will send you updates when ever I have done those.
(balacing state)
StDrake

Post by StDrake »

Fluff (a.k.a. story elements) would be nice, just try to keep it compatible to what i mentionned. Otherwise we'd get a bit of nonsense if we field against each other factions that have no means of contact.
I try to make my cats mainline lore compatible and that ends at Heartwood and Shaah'l Dar (oops, i meant to say 'the great desert a.k.a. the desert of death' :D), with details of those and anything south of them being generally unknown, so it's safe for us to use :)

edit: I've had a look through the files and it looks like i'll have to do some fixing in the wml parts and some grammar/stylistic language. Hope you don't mind? It should not affect the general idea nor how the faction works where it works correctly.

I've noticed some level 0 units leveling straight to lv3, is that intentional?

oh and - anihilator and fanatic need miss sounds and time offsets for souds for the {SOUND:HIT_AND_MISS} macro (it needs 3 parameters and you've given just one to those units), i've commented those lines out until a fix is determined

and you're missing ABILITY_FS_BATTLETUTOR macro, placeholder substituted
Rozard

Post by Rozard »

StDrake wrote:I've had a look through the files and it looks like i'll have to do some fixing in the wml parts and some grammar/stylistic language. Hope you don't mind? It should not affect the general idea nor how the faction works where it works correctly.
I dont mind.
StDrake wrote:I've noticed some level 0 units leveling straight to lv3, is that intentional?
yes it is, Demonic spawn is not yet fully adapted demon and if it finds a grip to its body it will turn to full demon.
StDrake wrote:oh and - anihilator and fanatic need miss sounds and time offsets for souds for the {SOUND:HIT_AND_MISS} macro (it needs 3 parameters and you've given just one to those units), i've commented those lines out until a fix is determined
Well, you can repair it. Ill copy repaired versio from finished versio...
StDrake wrote:and you're missing ABILITY_FS_BATTLETUTOR macro, placeholder substituted
Aww! I forgot to change that! Give them leadership lv3 for now.
(balacing state)