Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Re: Create A Hero Reborn

Post by Zerovirus »

Originally in the far past there was only Art Contributions. Workshop was divided out as basically the place where UMC art was created- the "request art forum" of the time.

Now that UMC is an industry in and of itself, people want Workshop to get split into something else? Repeated carbon copies of the same patching efforts won't solve the problem of wanting art for free in the first place.

What would you even call it anyways?
Tet

Post by Tet »

I would call it art requests

To keep it neutral. Atherwise we could decide to demand that art requests should be posted in off topic.

It is not for real artists. It would be more for people searching team mates for their project.

There is a different to art workshop. In art WS you post your art. in art RQ you would ask others to contribute. If somebody goes for a bigger project the work could still go to art WS. If it is just scaling up a Chocobone it is proberbly not needed in WS but stays in RQ. In RQ anybody can contribute. In WS only the owner is posting her staff.

Yes the thing might get swamped with requests. But only the more active one stay on top.

The reason is that requests are prohibited right now. That is not good. Well what else to say. Read-Think-Write. Nobody has to respond to requests. We should find a place for them.
Last edited by Tet on January 10th, 2011, 12:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
My Temple Project: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=29800
This is "must-play" campaign! Don´t read the thread, unless you need help. http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=31895
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

No. No more forums. Please.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Tet

Post by Tet »

Are you having another idea how to handle requests?
Prohibition is not really great.
Maybe it could be put next to off topic without moderator.
My Temple Project: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=29800
This is "must-play" campaign! Don´t read the thread, unless you need help. http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=31895
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

Really? Prohibition in this case is the best way to solve the problem. We don't need another forum of seekers, since we definitely get enough people asking for art that's not going to happen in this forum already.

Just get used to it, I guess. There's not really a way to solve the problem, unless you bring commissions into the equation.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Tet: how many times will it take you to learn that when you're told no, we mean NO?

This will not happen, and suggesting it again will not make it happen. ESPECIALLY when you suggest something so utterly ludicrous as an unmoderated forum. No. No no no. Stop asking.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
StDrake

Post by StDrake »

Tet wrote:Are you having another idea how to handle requests?
the usual way of handling is a lack of response and topic starvation
Prohibition is not really great.
I don't take it as an actual prohibition, it's more like giving requirements to requests - it's required that you don't just ask and hope, but rather attempt something, give information about current state of art, and then you can add a request for something better than a placeholder if possible
Maybe it could be put next to off topic without moderator.
I fear that if we make such a section it would end up being able to get called a 'graveyard' or 'trollspamhole'
So although I speak as a representative of those who would like requests - I have to add to the "no"s

There - now you've had an opinion from both coloured, and plain names

PS:that's a very simple, yet interesting approach at thee cannon, thanks' ill try to do something with it :)
Like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick ass with!
Don't like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick their asses! So everyone's happy :)
Felinian faction is part of the Beyond Southern Hells era
kitties need sprites! art topic here
Atz
Art Contributor

Post by Atz »

If you're looking for cannons, I've got one I made ages ago for AoT, but didn't end up using. It's not a railway cannon per se, but it might work anyway. Then again, it looks like it actually recedes towards a point rather than being isometric, so the wheels might not match up properly with terrain rails...
Attachments
cannon_TC.png
cannon_TC.png (1.41 KiB) Viewed 3149 times
StDrake

Post by StDrake »

Well I do have a use for a normal cannon actually..but not one with a carriage (i need a band of kittens to carry it around :D)..this one looks a little cropped from the top at its rear end too, guessing that's the effect of the exaggerated perspective?
Like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick ass with!
Don't like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick their asses! So everyone's happy :)
Felinian faction is part of the Beyond Southern Hells era
kitties need sprites! art topic here
Atz
Art Contributor

Post by Atz »

StDrake wrote:..this one looks a little cropped from the top at its rear end too, guessing that's the effect of the exaggerated perspective?
Yeah, pretty much.

If you want, it should be pretty easy to take out the wheels and put bars on the front and back, so it could be carried like a sedan chair. I can probably fix the cropped look, also.