2p Campaign Battle System, v1.5 on addon server

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

H-Hour

Re: 2p Campaign Battle System, v1.0 on addon server

Post by H-Hour »

Khyron, I have not had a chance to try and replicate this with 1.8.5, but it's still on my radar. Have you tried pushing through to the third scenario, as Xargon mentions, or started over again? Or have you given up on it?

Interesting that Xargon has noticed the same thing in hotseat.
H-Hour

Post by H-Hour »

Khyron, I just found the time to test this with 1.8.5 in local game mode, but unfortunately I wasn't able to replicate the problem so I don't know if I'll be able to fix it for you. I hope if you get to a third scenario your recall list will be back, as Xargon mentioned. Sorry I can't be more helpful.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

I played the add-on on 1.9.3. It works fine. But I get the same recall list over and over again if I play more than 5 scenarios.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Abel

Post by Abel »

This is a brilliant add-on. Thanks for uploading.

I found the same bug mentioned earlier (no recall list when playing in hotseat mode). But the recall list only disappeared when the scenario was saved and reloaded. If I play through a scenario all the way from the beginning in one go, then I can recall ok on the next scenario. Could there be a save/load bug somewhere?

This would be consistent with Xargon's result, if he saved and reloaded on the first scenario.

Running wesnoth 1.8.5
H-Hour

Post by H-Hour »

Lord-Knightmare wrote:I played the add-on on 1.9.3. It works fine. But I get the same recall list over and over again if I play more than 5 scenarios.
Sorry Lord Knightmare, but this has been developed for 1.8.x and as far as I know 1.9.x introduces some significant WML changes. At this time I don't have plans to make sure it is working in 1.9.x but I may move on at some point.
Abel wrote: I found the same bug mentioned earlier (no recall list when playing in hotseat mode). But the recall list only disappeared when the scenario was saved and reloaded. If I play through a scenario all the way from the beginning in one go, then I can recall ok on the next scenario. Could there be a save/load bug somewhere?
Hmm, that's interesting. Thanks for reporting. I will see if I can replicate it that way. I'm not sure if I have any control over the save/load process via WML.

Edit - I've just tried saving and reloading in hotseat mode but I'm still not getting the problem. If I save before killing the last enemy leader, then load it up and finish the scenario, I go through with all recalls. If I save it after going through and reload that I also have recalls. The only thing that doesn't work is if I save it while the End Scenario button is available. Loading that save results in me losing immediately.

Perhaps the problem is OS-specific? I'm on Windows 7. How about you Abel?
Abel

Post by Abel »

Hi H-Hour. I'm using Ubuntu 10.04.

I just tried again and was able to reproduce the problem. The recall list disappears if I save, then quit, then load it up and finish the scenario. Or if I just save and then load without quitting. I'll have a go at reproducing it on a Windows xp machine sometime in the next week...
H-Hour

Post by H-Hour »

To Abel and others who are having problems in hotseat mode:

While testing a campaign I'm working on I ran into the same problem, but I found it only occurs if I load the game from the main menu. If I go into Multiplayer (Local Game) and load the game from the map selection list there, then advance to the next scenario, I get all of my recalls.

I found the same was true if I loaded it from inside a game I was already running (ie - I was on a scenario playing). The problem occurred even if that game had been loaded through the multiplayer menu.

So, if you have this problem, make sure you're not loading the save gave from the main menu or the Menu > Load Game option while playing. For some reason, it doesn't load the recall list properly that way.
Abel

Post by Abel »

Thanks H-Hour.
H-Hour

Re: 2p Campaign Battle System, v1.2 on addon server

Post by H-Hour »

v1.2 is now on the addon server:
  • 5 new maps (now 33)
  • Players will receive 2 extra income per level starting with level 3 to help them field larger armies
  • Tweak to Northern Thaw to prevent the AI from running into bad terrain
H-Hour

Re: 2p Campaign Battle System, v1.3 on addon server

Post by H-Hour »

v1.3 is now on the addon server (1.8.x):
Also, I would be curious if anyone has played the maps above level three. I see replays from the addon fairly regularly, but I have yet to see anyone play a map above level three yet. If this is because I've out-scaled the difficulty jump too much so that level 3 is too hard, speak up.
akharr

Post by akharr »

hiya, im new in wesnoth and the 2p battle system is one of the best if not the best add-on, congrats for that ;)
I play with my brother in the same machine, so at the begining it was a bit hard because we were not able to maintain the recall list, but reading the post if we save just before touching the signal of the last defeated boss then exit to the main menu of the game and loading the saved game from the multiplayer load game option it works 100% of the times the recall list (we are playing BfW 1.8.6).
Playing a little more i think it lacks of "bigger maps", it could be a good idea to put a random generated map for each level increasing its size each time or if the player could choose the size better :P, but i think its impossible due the system you use (u must have that NPC in all maps no?)
A 1 player system could be great too ;), anyway great add-on and congrats another time, good work :wink:
H-Hour

Post by H-Hour »

Thanks akharr. There are some larger maps in there but they tend to occur at higher levels. What level have you gotten up to? If you've gotten to 3 or above I'd love to see your replays since I have yet to find any replays on the server and this makes it hard to find problems with existing maps.

I haven't looked into generating random maps but Sigurd's Random Maps looks like a promising project for 1.9.9+ Wesnoth. If I ever ported this for a future 1.10 stable I might be able to integrate his routines somehow.

If you want something similar for single player, Sigurd has also developed Custom Campaign and Random Campaign for 1.9 versions that might be worth checking out.
SigurdFireDragon
Developer

Post by SigurdFireDragon »

Thanks for the kind words. :)

If you are interested in making use of the map routines in Sigurd's Random Maps, go for it. :)

Please pm ahead of time if possible to better coordinate things, as I might make changes to the interface of the macros for 1.10 to make easier and/or more configurable for those who might want to make use of the map generators.
Co-Author of Winds of Fate
My Add-ons: Random Campaign, Custom Campaign, Ultimate Random Maps, Era of Legends, Gui Debug Tools
Erfworld: The comic that lead me to find Wesnoth.
H-Hour

Post by H-Hour »

I have now added 2p Campaign Battle System to the 1.10.x addon server. I was under the impression that it would require some of the code to be rewritten to be compatible, but upon testing it tonight I found it is ready to go. Had I known this I would have put it up months ago when 1.10.x was rolled out. I just have not had the time/interest to write any WML in a long time.

I bumped the 2p-CBS version number to 1.4, but there are no new maps or changes from 1.3. I will no longer upload new versions to the 1.8.x addon server.
H-Hour

Re: 2p Campaign Battle System, v1.4 on addon server

Post by H-Hour »

I have added 2p Campaign Battle System to the 1.11.12 addon server. Hopefully it will carry through to the 1.12 server when it is released.

I bumped the version number to 1.5, but there are only some under-the-hood changes to be compatible with 1.11.x.