Woodmouse's art stuff [random stuff, page 49]

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
dipseydoodle

Re: Woodmouse's sprites

Post by dipseydoodle »

I never said it wasn't... I'm saying DON'T GIVE UP!!! Learning techniques in general take a while... But I mean it takes years to make it look REALLY good.

EDIT: Yes Zerovirus your right.
woodmouse

Post by woodmouse »

Okay, people who were in IRC a few hours ago know I've been doing this, but those who aren't, it's a huge Wose. So I begun making this because I asked if Ancient Woses are going to have unique sprites (because Lord Bob is making the portraits) and shadowmaster told there won't (at least not until 3.0 or something, lol), so I thought, WEEEEELL I'll make something like that for fun. And things led to other things and here it is, a HUUUUUUGELY HUUUUUGE wose, (level 4 or 5)

The technique I used to make this was completely different from what I've done before, and I seriously probably start making things like this from now on. :) Before anyone asks, it took 3 hours to make, of which 1½ I was sleeping, so basically, 1½ hours. Yep, fast, I know. I also know it's nowhere near mainline quality, but if you help me improve, it'd be nice if you give C&C.
Check out my sprites!
mnewton1

Re: Woodmouse's sprites [Treeguy, page 47]

Post by mnewton1 »

Well, I don't think he is going to get the ambush ability. A bit to noticeable :P
Creator of Ageless Era
Check out Frogatto & Friends, it's made by the same people who created The Battle for Wesnoth!
woodmouse

Post by woodmouse »

mnewton1 wrote:Well, I don't think he is going to get the ambush ability. A bit to noticeable :P
Or maybe he's so noticeable that the enemies just ignore him. :P
Check out my sprites!
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Not bad, but it needs more contrast, stronger outlines, and a more definite lightsource. Also, trees tend to be widest at the base and taper as they go up, not the other way around.
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
woodmouse

Post by woodmouse »

artisticdude wrote:Not bad, but it needs more contrast, stronger outlines, and a more definite lightsource. Also, trees tend to be widest at the base and taper as they go up, not the other way around.
Thanks! Although he's meant to be thicker on the top than bottom...
But is this better?
Check out my sprites!
StDrake

Post by StDrake »

better on the leafy part, but consider getting rid of the outlines on them after those changes
Like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick ass with!
Don't like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick their asses! So everyone's happy :)
Felinian faction is part of the Beyond Southern Hells era
kitties need sprites! art topic here
woodmouse

Post by woodmouse »

StDrake wrote:better on the leafy part, but consider getting rid of the outlines on them after those changes
That'd look horrible:
Check out my sprites!
StDrake

Post by StDrake »

I dare disagree, the upper tufts may require some shading and lightening on the edges, but the part on his 'hands' looks much better. Meanwhile don't forget about the trunk - i'd recommend doing something about the larger patches of single colour, branches came out neat, but the trunk looks a little flat.

Also - try viewing it in real terrain, not just on a white background. Often the impression changes a lot.
Don't like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick their asses! So everyone's happy :)
em3

Post by em3 »

I think someone somewhere said that the new fire dragon sprite will mark the upper limit of how big a sprite should be.

Also, the shadow is in totally wrong direction. It should be below/behind - not in front.
ride on shooting star
woodmouse

Post by woodmouse »

I tested ingame and... LOL.
em3 wrote:I think someone somewhere said that the new fire dragon sprite will mark the upper limit of how big a sprite should be.

Also, the shadow is in totally wrong direction. It should be below/behind - not in front.
Hmm, well, I don't think the shadow and size actually matter as this won't be used anywhere. It's kinda like practice.
Check out my sprites!
StDrake

Post by StDrake »

inserting some empty space on the bottom of the picture file should fix that (enough that the 'legs' would land somewhere in the vertical middle)
Frogger5

Post by Frogger5 »

If you want to get this looking really good, I recommend doing a study on trees to actually learn how they work, and getting the knack of drawing them well, especially leaves.
My spritework can be seen here.

Want to play Roll 2 Dodge, or even start your own game?http://rolltododge.freeforums.org/index.php We need you!
em3

Post by em3 »

woodmouse wrote: Hmm, well, I don't think the shadow and size actually matter as this won't be used anywhere. It's kinda like practice.
Well even if it's practice it doesn't mean you shouldn't try and do it right. :wink:
But, yeah. I wasn't trying to be all "it's bad because it's too big and has a terrible shadow", I just wanted to critique constructively.
ride on shooting star
homunculus

Post by homunculus »

the right eyeball is cute.
if you should ever change the size of it, i hope it will remain in the same location ; )
em3 wrote:[...]I just wanted to critique constructively.
hasn't anyone told you that you should read the whole thread before you post?
all those 47 pages of posts, every single one of them.
woodmouse wrote:[...]I find constructive criticism more annoying than rude and unconstructive[...]
campaign ruthless in your nearest 1.11 add-on server
some wesnoth-related drawings