The Rise of Wesnoth: Return of the Fleet, help needed

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

Maiklas3000

The Rise of Wesnoth: Return of the Fleet, help needed

Post by Maiklas3000 » January 5th, 2011, 3:31 pm

In TRoW: Return of the Fleet, I'm having trouble on 1.9.3, hardest difficulty. I replayed the previous two scenarios (Cursed Isle and the Vanguard) to get more gold (up to 318 from 200) and more Silver Mages (up to 3 from 1), but I still haven't beaten it. On my best attempt, I was able to start rolling north and defeat the Saurians, but I ran out of time. The main thing I want to know is where the heck to make my initlal line. Here is a partial screenshot from turn 9:
wesnoth - trow - return of the fleet - turn 9 - partial map.jpg
Click the following to see everything: full map. (You'll note that I've knocked out the undead leader, though it ultimately cost the lives of the entire assassination squad: 2 Silver Mages, 1 loyal Entangler, 1 loyal Triton, and 1 Netcaster.)

The line at the edge of the woods almost worked, but I lost two loyal Iron Maulers, I think because of the jagged nature of the line, allowing the enemy to sometimes get two ranged attacks and a level 3 troll attack on Mauler. I don't care much about losing loyal units, because there is only one more scenario, but in any case by turn 31 of 39 I had lost too many units and it looked hopeless.

Another reason I want to know where to draw the line is that I'm rewriting the wiki walkthrough for this scenario, so I want to make a good recommendation there.

Sometimes in addition to a line in the woods, I launch a mounted assault on the undead in the plain to the west. I have three Paladins available and generally use either two or zero in this scenario. However, one of the difficulties of this scenario on hard is the intense number of Chocobones, maybe eight, plus Deathblades, Boneshooters, and Revenants. That makes it difficult to fight the undead in the field.
Attachments
TRoW-Return_of_the_Fleet_Turn_1.gz
(94.74 KiB) Downloaded 178 times

HomerJ

Re: The Rise of Wesnoth: Return of the Fleet, help needed

Post by HomerJ » January 5th, 2011, 5:23 pm

I only played on 1.8 so far.
About the first stand, I usually use the forest directly north of the castle. Use your tanks supported by MoL and have your SilverMages sitting in far of villages ready to strike. Footpads should draw the main attention and you should have a mage or two for finishing what your tanks retaliation leave alive.
You should then go north over the little island (cuttlefish terrain) instead of the swamps and trigger those saurians not until you have regrouped.

Greetz
HomerJ
Six years without a signature!

Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 » January 5th, 2011, 10:54 pm

Thanks, using the north wood thicket did the trick, though I had tried going there before without success back when I had minimum gold. I lost one loyal Iron Mauler (damn level 3 trolls) and finished with 199 gold carryover. Look at this... nine chocobones and three level 3 trolls! (One troll was killed just before I took the snapshot.)
Attachments
wesnoth - trow - return of the fleet - nine chocobones.jpg

Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus » January 6th, 2011, 3:37 am

Actually you do not need to make a "stand in the wood." Being able to move freely is more valuable I think. Was my second or third attemp. I tried pushing dynamically back and forth while finishing the whole group of enemies able to reach me. Admittedly saveloaded one time to refine unit placement since that lieutenant had died. Among valuable units not leveled in the scenario I lost one of the loyal iron maulers and Sir Ruddry due to a very durable crossbowman. Could have avoided through more careful play, same for the (non-loyal) paladin I lost. I've never played that campaign so far.

Just ignore the replay errors, it runs fine until the end.
Attachments
TRoW-Return_of_the_Fleet_replay.gz
(95.95 KiB) Downloaded 224 times
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign