is loyalists archers UP?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

CoolDude

is loyalists archers UP?

Post by CoolDude »

not that i mean underpowered,i mean they have nothing especial,he just a space filler in most cases,while you have mages that do better work and you rarely need any use in most of the MP faction.

undeads=dont use archers
rebels=dont use archers,use archers,this deppends of the circumstances
norrtheners=use archers
knalgans=use archers
drakes=you can do alot of damages,but you can get burned alot by drakes burners too.

so its kinda crazy how to use loyals archers.

I KNOW that units cant be compared to other units,but i want to know the best IN overral between:

loyal archer
poacher
elvish archer
undead archer
orcrish archer

poacher have nices defenses,elvish is cheap on forests,undead have nice resistences,orcish archer have fire damage.and archer loyal dont have nothing speacial.
mistzone
Translator

Re: is loyalists archers UP?

Post by mistzone »

well... lv3 loyal archer is the strongest :) except elvish Sharpshooter, but ES has weak HP and weak melee attack.(when has 0% bonus)

and lv1 archer is strongest, too. well.. but it seems elf archer is better..

anyway loyal archer has best HP and powerful range and melee attack.

he has that power instead of special ability(fire, ambush, marksman, resistance etc.)
StDrake

Post by StDrake »

loyalist archer is also considerably cheaper than mages..and durability in terms of hp also plays an important role
Like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick ass with!
Don't like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick their asses! So everyone's happy :)
Felinian faction is part of the Beyond Southern Hells era
kitties need sprites! art topic here
Reepurr

Post by Reepurr »

At first glance, elves have the best archer possible: 5-4 at ranged, a huge amount. Then you notice the pretty costly 17 gold you need for one.

Orcish archers are puny at all times, and for 15 gold some would say "not worth it". However, they have worthwhile fire damage.

Poachers deal 4-4 damage, which isn't that great, only 1 more than an orcish archer. However, that gives them a better chance of finishing off enemies. They also have good resistance and movement in swamp.

Undead archers may deal 6-3 damage and cost just 14 gold (like loys), but their melee is weak and would you use one against a drake enforcer or a heavy infantryman, both of which have good impact damage? :wink:

Loyalist bowmen deal 6-3 damage for a low 14 gold. This makes them second only to elves damage-wise, and probably the best for economy (except, arguably, elves). Their highish HP is another advantage over some.
As you can see, the loyalist bowmen are good with damage, pretty economical and tough. This is where they come in handy.
(Oh yeah, and not every campaign wants magi to be used on their loyalist sides.)

Magi have a whopping magical 7-3, yes, but as StDrake said they cost more (6 gold more!) than a bowman for lower HP. They also need more XP to level.

So, based on that, choose for yourself, though if you want my opinion:
For campaigns, I would say poachers, actually, but only based on swiftness in swamp and their eventual ambush ability.
Recruitable unit wise, for MP matches, I would say loyalist bowmen.
"What do you mean, "a dwarvish dragonguard with marksman is overpowered"?"

Story of a Drake Outcast | The Nonsense Era
Played HttT-Underground Channels? Thought it was rubbish? Help us develop it here!
TheDreamer

Post by TheDreamer »

I always recruit Bowmen, Spearmen and hardly, Mages and Heavy Infantrymen. It depends on the opponents, of course... Mages are best used against Undead, and the heavy guys against Skeletons.

I'd say Default units are very balanced and enjoyable.
The Dreamer (a.k.a. KK Slider, KKSlider60)
Author of "Minimalist Era" and "Royal Stickmen" (WIP).
http://kkslider60.newgrounds.com/ - My free audio portal in Newgrounds.com - Free album "Back to Basics" out! :D
StDrake

Post by StDrake »

elves have one seriously upper side to their bowmen though if you consider comparing in power - they can get the dextrous trait, which with their number of attacks gives a lot
Like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick ass with!
Don't like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick their asses! So everyone's happy :)
Felinian faction is part of the Beyond Southern Hells era
kitties need sprites! art topic here
Crushmaster

Post by Crushmaster »

Bowmen have good HP, decent melee (though I wish it was 5-2 rather than 4-2 like it used to be), great ranged attack, and they're cheap. They become quite potent at level two, with good melee and excellent ranged attack (and, 58 HP if strong/resilient). Master Bowman has superb ranged (11-4), and good (8-3) melee.

Overall? They're a good mixed fighters, complementing their brethren quite nicely. Bowmen, spearmen, and calvarymen together pack quite a punch; typically, when I play, for example, a MP game with Shadowmaster, those are the only units I'll use.

Happy New Year! :)
God bless,
Crushmaster.
Godspeed, random person!
NeedGod - User:Crushmaster
Cackfiend

Post by Cackfiend »

Loyalist Archers were reduced from 15g to 14g and their melee was lowered as well recently. Mostly because they were too powerful vs Elves I believe. Would be nice to see the archer unit used more... lowering its xp needed to level would be a nice change imo... maybe 20 xp to level if intelligent (multiplayer 70% xp)

archers do shine though during the day and with lieutenant leadership... 9-3 :)
"There's no love in fear." - Maynard James Keenan

I'm the guy who's responsible for 40% Gliders in all hexes... I can now die a happy man. =D
Wesnoth Strategy Guide for competitive 1v1 viewtopic.php?f=3&t=54236
CoolDude

Post by CoolDude »

Cackfiend wrote:Loyalist Archers were reduced from 15g to 14g and their melee was lowered as well recently. Mostly because they were too powerful vs Elves I believe. Would be nice to see the archer unit used more... lowering its xp needed to level would be a nice change imo... maybe 20 xp to level if intelligent (multiplayer 70% xp)

archers do shine though during the day and with lieutenant leadership... 9-3 :)
i noticed this as well,archers is made now to follow up spearmans,since te price isthe same,archers can suport spearmans with ranged damage,with spears really lacks.

before the melee nerf....i noticed that he was the best melee archer in the game,just a curiosity.
Caphriel

Post by Caphriel »

Bowmen are very good against Drakes, because they can damage clashers without taking retaliation and are tolerable against saurians. Don't attack burners with bowmen under many circumstances :| They're similarly useful against Northerners for working on grunts. (I thought the melee damage reduction was actually because of the Northerners/Loyalists matchup) They're also useful in loyalist mirrors.