Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Reepurr

Re: Vranca´s era artwork

Post by Reepurr »

ooh shineh helm :D
The torso seems incredibly light with no shadow now, maybe shade it in roughly the same way as the helmet?
"What do you mean, "a dwarvish dragonguard with marksman is overpowered"?"

Story of a Drake Outcast | The Nonsense Era
Played HttT-Underground Channels? Thought it was rubbish? Help us develop it here!
shiremct
Art Contributor

Post by shiremct »

New palette looks good but i think it needs a small tweak or two. The shading on the old version looks a little better though it did need more contrast. I think the issue is the interaction with two of the shades. The kinda greenish-tan color and the slightly pinkish brown color make a pretty bold step in the shading. Personally, I'd add another shade between the two to help smooth out the shading, but i like to use a lot of shades, so an alternative would be to lighten that particular shade a bit (it's the lightest brown color) or perhaps try making it less brown and more grey... maybe it's not the brightness, but the green tint clashing with the red/pink tint... :hmm:

I can try a paint-over sometime if that isn't easy to follow.

Also, the shadow bothers me. I'm pretty sure that's not the right angle for it, but I'd have to find some reference to tell you how it should be. My guess is it would be closer to horizontal with that light direction, but I'm not 100% sure.
Vranca

Post by Vranca »

You are probably right about the shadow.And the pallet does need some tweaking,probably that middle color is missing,between the reds and the greenish yellows.
EDIT:Is this any better?
Attachments
Spartan Hoplite9.png
Spartan Hoplite9.png (3 KiB) Viewed 6069 times
My sprites,My Minitroops
Philip II of Macedon:"If I win this war, you will be slaves forever."
The Spartan ephors:"If."
Subsequently, both Philip and Alexander would avoid Sparta entirely.
Skizzaltix

Post by Skizzaltix »

I think the main problem with the shadow is the implied angle of the light--the spear's shadow starts at its base, which is correct, but it ends too soon. In order for it to be that short, the light source would need to be up and to his left, but the rest of the shading indicates that it's up and to the right. Same goes for the shadow under his body.
Basically, shift the whole thing to the left, and then make the spear's shadow longer.
Kanapka

Post by Kanapka »

I still feel that the pose/anatomy/something like that is wrong. It looks like the torso is facing (our) left while the rest of his body is facing right. The head looks like his back is crooked. The feet face different directions and make the legs look crooked too. I played around with the legs, maybe they look better now. Anyway, I'd say you need to redraw either shoulders + legs or torso. The feet dithering is a nasty thing to work with, I'd advise you to change it - it makes the feet look small. You could also take a look at the top part of his helmet, it doesn't look metalic to me.

I tried to smoothen (our) left arm and the shield (moved it one or two pixels because I think it looks more defense-ready this way) and touched a couple pixels here and there. Hope it helps.
Spartan Hoplite9.png
Spartan Hoplite9.png (2.88 KiB) Viewed 6028 times
Vranca

Post by Vranca »

I'll edit him when i have time,the legs are a lot better,i suck at drawing legs :P
My sprites,My Minitroops
Vranca

Post by Vranca »

How does this look?
Attachments
Spartan1.png
Spartan1.png (2.5 KiB) Viewed 5946 times
My sprites,My Minitroops
Reepurr

Post by Reepurr »

Tiring TBH.
Previously, he had his spear on the ground. Now, he's carrying a spear, which is bound to put more exertion on him. It would probably look good as a move animation though.

If you really want him to carry his spear rather than plant it on the ground, riflemen plant their elbows on their hips to take the weight off and give more steadiness. Perhaps you could get him to do that?
"What do you mean, "a dwarvish dragonguard with marksman is overpowered"?"

Story of a Drake Outcast | The Nonsense Era
Played HttT-Underground Channels? Thought it was rubbish? Help us develop it here!
Skizzaltix

Post by Skizzaltix »

I'm not sure I agree completely with the above, but yeah, the arm looked better as it was before. Why mess with that when the problems were with his hips and legs?

Really, though, you might want to just move on and do another if you're starting to get tired of this one. It already looks much better than the vast majority of UMC art out there ;)
Vranca

Post by Vranca »

I thought it will make him look more dynamic.
Really, though, you might want to just move on and do another if you're starting to get tired of this one. It already looks much better than the vast majority of UMC art out there
Thanks,but i'm not tired of him,i like spartans,so i want to make him look as best as i can,and i think it's good practice.
Is only the problem with the arm,or does anything else need tweaking?
My sprites,My Minitroops
Kanapka

Post by Kanapka »

Right now he's got no (his) right tigh (upper part of the leg in case that's not the correct word) and his shoulders seem less broad and weaker than before. I also think that my edit made the shield smoother (never mind moving the shield, just look at the border AA).

I'm not sure if tweaking the guy forever is the best practice. I can't really put it into words, but it seems to me like a deadlock when you go back to changing a pose of a sprite that has no apparent problems with a pose. Maybe someone experienced can come and say something on the topic.
Vranca

Post by Vranca »

I think he is now finished.Also here is something i did for fun today.
Attachments
Black Knight.png
Black Knight.png (3.27 KiB) Viewed 5774 times
Spartan Hoplite.png
Spartan Hoplite.png (2.77 KiB) Viewed 5774 times
My sprites,My Minitroops
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

Black knight is impressive! A bit cluttered, but still impressive. Perhaps a few instances of pillowing, and the pallete could use some work. Still, pretty cool. I note that you seem to have used one of my sprites as a base :)
Vranca

Post by Vranca »

Thanks,i was inspired by some lotr knights,so i decided to use such a pallet since they were like that. Yeah i used the overlord as a base,i thought it's a good pose for him :)
My sprites,My Minitroops
Vranca

Post by Vranca »

One more lotr inspired sprite,two versions.
Attachments
Warrior1.png
Warrior1.png (2.26 KiB) Viewed 5712 times
Warrior.png
Warrior.png (2.35 KiB) Viewed 5712 times
My sprites,My Minitroops