Regarding Santa Claus

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

bigkahuna

Re: Regarding Santa Claus

Post by bigkahuna »

Alarantalara wrote:It's not too hard to take the file loslib.c from the Lua source distribution and delete all the dangerous stuff.
Huzzah! But I know absolutely no Lua and so would be useless for this project :lol2: I kept all the time-related code in the file but wouldn't know how to link it to WML or to use it at all, and I don't know how I would connect the time inside of the Wesnoth source code to the Lua code...
Check out my campaign Sweet Revenge!
Join the new R2D forum!
Alarantalara
Art Contributor

Post by Alarantalara »

*blink* The os lib is compiled into Wesnoth. Somewhere silene (I assume, anyway) has edited a table to block access to it. I wonder where that is...

Edit: done. I now have something that should export the safe os functions for use. Now to compile and test...
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Tonepoet wrote: Oddly enough I kinda had nightmares about him bullying me for some reason, don't ask me "Why?", so I quite naturally disliked the bloke for quite some time when I was young. This went on even long after I knew he wasn't quite real. Hey you might think it's silly but there's no reason to forgive a man who just so happens to be fake. I mean if anything that just makes the abuse just as real as the character behind it so I have even less reason to forgive him: Furthermore it's also not like he could ever make amends for what he'd done.
Your story reminded me of this:
http://www.engrish.com/2003/12/santa-please/

Also, if Santa Claus is always portrayed as a chubby white-bearded human then why do Christmas poems say that he a "jolly old elf"? Are there any other elves that are old-looking and overweight, or is he the one exception?
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
bigkahuna

Post by bigkahuna »

Alarantalara wrote:Edit: done. I now have something that should export the safe os functions for use. Now to compile and test...
I'd really appreciate it if you did :D That could be immensely useful (or at least an innovative feature) for UMC, not to mention a future project of mine ( :twisted: ). And of course the Santa trolls :lol2:
Join the new R2D forum!
Alarantalara
Art Contributor

Post by Alarantalara »

If you have a reason that is better than an Easter Egg, please tell me. I can see this being rejected for being a useless patch otherwise.
bigkahuna

Post by bigkahuna »

bigkahuna wrote:It could be used for persistent events, for example every hour generating a new X.
Just one example. There are many more, but this one is pretty much all encompassing. Doing something, unlocking something, restarting something, or only letting you do something every X amount of realtime. For example, if it was an RPG campaign, there could be a quest that could only be completed every hour or so.

Even if this doesn't warrant a core patch, I'd really appreciate it if you just gave it to me the community :whistle: with a basic explanation of how to use it. That would be great :D
Join the new R2D forum!
Girgistian
Art Contributor

Post by Girgistian »

Sapient wrote:Also, if Santa Claus is always portrayed as a chubby white-bearded human then why do Christmas poems say that he a "jolly old elf"? Are there any other elves that are old-looking and overweight, or is he the one exception?
I'm not sure if there's any straight connection, but here the word "elf" is a sort of a synonym for a certain type spirit or a gnome (much like garden-gnomes). In actuality there's no straight english translation to the word so they use the word elf instead, for reasons unknown. They've been depicted as small, chubby, bearded and pointy-hatted folk in art for the last 100 years or so, I think, and since the rise of Santa and his golly traditions, they've lost their former religious meaning and become just servants of the Claus. Elves.
That might be a bit confusing, but I can't seem to rephrase it better right now. :hmm:
For the dark gods!
Myrien

Post by Myrien »

I don't remember ever being seriously told about him; the only times he was mentioned was in jest.
boru

Post by boru »

Sapient wrote:Also, if Santa Claus is always portrayed as a chubby white-bearded human then why do Christmas poems say that he a "jolly old elf"? Are there any other elves that are old-looking and overweight, or is he the one exception?
The guy needed a rhyme for "myself."
“It is written in my life-blood, such as that is, thick or thin; and I can no other.” - J.R.R. Tolkien

My campaign: Swamplings - Four centuries before the founding of Wesnoth, the first wolf rider emerges from a tribe of lowly swamp goblins.
wesfreak

Post by wesfreak »

When I was five or six I used to believe in Santa Clause, but I don't recall being told by my parents. I suppose I must have picked it up from friends at school. Odd.

On a somewhat related topic, apparently Santa is legally a citizen of Canada.
sur.nhm

Post by sur.nhm »

Happy Christmas, all.

(No, I am not Christian. I am simply being polite.)
I'm not really around any more, but you can find me in TvTropes.
TheDreamer

Post by TheDreamer »

wesfreak wrote:On a somewhat related topic, apparently Santa is legally a citizen of Canada.
No North Pole? Awww. :D
The Dreamer (a.k.a. KK Slider, KKSlider60)
Author of "Minimalist Era" and "Royal Stickmen" (WIP).
http://kkslider60.newgrounds.com/ - My free audio portal in Newgrounds.com - Free album "Back to Basics" out! :D
wesfreak

Post by wesfreak »

Part of Canada is at the North Pole...
PeterPorty
Translator

Post by PeterPorty »

Happy Christmas Evening, guys, hope all your wishes come true, (No, not that one, Gambit) and you get tons of presents.

On a related note, yes, I do believe in Santa, I mean... I believe in all that kind of nonsense, like Jesus and God, so... why not. Also, on a minor note, I seem to keep thinking there's something about Santa that reminds me to Satan... dunno, might be the fact that he wears a red coat, or maybe something about their names...

Anyways, yeah, time to get drunk and have a parteeey!
"The real world is for people who can't imagine anything better."
Girgistian
Art Contributor

Post by Girgistian »

PeterPorty wrote:Anyways, yeah, time to get drunk and have a parteeey!
Well that's something I can relate to, dad n' me have been drinking for 2 hours now.
For the dark gods!