Regarding Santa Claus

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Hulavuta

Regarding Santa Claus

Post by Hulavuta »

Just a quick thing that came to my attention, which seemed appropriate this time of year. We all know who Santa Claus is right? A man created to, I guess, fool kids about the way they get presents at Christmas. (Yes, I know he was based off of Saint Nicholas, you don't have to remind me about that every friggin' time...) Maybe a way to get non-Christians into Christmas? Anyway, he's basically just a story. But he was created to be believed. I know that Christianity for one teaches the story of Christmas, and (for the most part) don't believe in Santa. And as Christianity being one of the biggest religions, and most people of other religions not celebrating Christmas for obvious reasons, it raises one question.

How many people actually believe in Santa Claus? If you honestly do (or did) or know someone who does (or did), please share. I'm interested to see exactly how many, if any, do.

And please, try to be mature...
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
Crushmaster

Re: Regarding Santa Claus

Post by Crushmaster »

My parents never (thankfully) lied to me regarding the existence of Santa Claus. After all, this is Christmas.

When I was a small child, I remember telling another kid that Santa Claus was dead (after all, Nicholas is...). That produced a very interesting reaction, needless to say.

I would wager that most parents tell [lie to] their children regarding his existence; including supposed Christians. See below.

Here's an extremely recent poll about it. Granted, it only has about four hundred and fifty votes, but it should give you a general idea.

Here's something else about it.

Feliz Navidad! :)
In Christ,
Crushmaster.
Last edited by Crushmaster on December 18th, 2010, 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Godspeed, random person!
NeedGod - User:Crushmaster
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

It was not a way to get non-Christians into Christmas. Saint Nicholas was celebrating the religious holiday. I bet he'd feel terrible about how warped it has become.
Girgistian
Art Contributor

Post by Girgistian »

Since the worship of saints has been and somewhat still is a part of Christianity, I guess you could believe in him, in a sense, or even worship, if you're into that sort of thing. I don't, though all that anticipation was fun when I was a kid (here santa [or yulegoat, whatever] comes for a visit instead of sneaking through the house at night). :P
Provoked by Crushmaster's Christmas-link, I shall have to pronounce myself being a hell of a lot more fond of Yule than Christmas.
For the dark gods!
boru

Post by boru »

He's simply meant to represent the spirit of charitable giving and generosity. Of course he doesn't exist in the same way as, say, Julian Assange or Fidel Castro or some other idol. But he's not dead until the last bit of generosity is gone from every human heart (which will hopefully not be in my lifetime).
“It is written in my life-blood, such as that is, thick or thin; and I can no other.” - J.R.R. Tolkien

My campaign: Swamplings - Four centuries before the founding of Wesnoth, the first wolf rider emerges from a tribe of lowly swamp goblins.
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

Girgistian wrote:Since the worship of saints has been and somewhat still is a part of Christianity
You're confusing Catholicism and Christianity.

But lest this thread unnecessarily turn into a religious debate and get locked, I won't go any further.
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

Didn't we have this exact same thread last year around this time?

:roll:
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

Zero: I wouldn't know, since I didn't "return" until January of this year...

Gambit: I meant now. It seems like Santa has become the most prevalent person when it comes to Christmas, rather than Jesus.

boru: I know he's just supposed to represent, I just wanted to know how many people actually BELIEVED there's a guy who lives in the North Pole who makes free gifts and delivers them all in one night.
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
JackBarber

Post by JackBarber »

Hulavuta wrote:I meant now. It seems like Santa has become the most prevalent person when it comes to Christmas, rather than Jesus.
Well, that would be another topic, Who Believes Jesus was born on December 25th?

But, regarding Santa Claus...
Yes, I DID believe in him until I was about 5 then I started to wonder. "How is he always in both of theses stores?"
And around 7 or 8 My sister confirmed that he didn't exist.

And, my cousin believed still he was... *cough* 13 *cough*
"Do YOU know the muffin man?"
."Don't wake me if I'm dreaming."
.."Even words can drive a man to madness."
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

My parents never saw any reason to tell me that Santa was real and I've never felt any worse off for it. I don't think that it ever really mattered to me but the memories are vague.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Dunno

Post by Dunno »

I think boru said it best, he's just a spirit. To me it's same as believing that Jesus exists in church - He does, but not as a human , as a spirit.
Oh, I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

Well wrong in Germany we have the handsome guy Knecht Rubrecht Santa doesn't work around here. At least in the older days I have never cared much about myself since there were always presents.
Some say it goes back to the older German mythology other say he is even the antithesis to Santa because he punishs naughty childrens.
It is wonderful how old folkloristic rituals went hand in hand with the growing Christianisation.
The end of the winter was always celebrated so it was natural to adopt it as an Christian celebration aka christmas.
If I recall right russia also has it is own special version of Santa as well as other European countries.
And now we are all peacefull united in plurality. :mrgreen:
This girl, this boy, They were part of the land. What happens to the places we used to tend?
She's a hard one to trust, And he's a roving ghost. Will you come back, will you come back, Or leave me alone?

-Ghost Fields
Girgistian
Art Contributor

Post by Girgistian »

wayfarer wrote:It is wonderful how old folkloristic rituals went hand in hand with the growing Christianisation.
The end of the winter was always celebrated so it was natural to adopt it as an Christian celebration aka christmas.
If I recall right russia also has it is own special version of Santa as well as other European countries.
And now we are all peacefull united in plurality. :mrgreen:
Russia's got the Grandfather Frost. I quite heartily disagree in your joy (unless it's in fact sarcasm) of the cultures being united under one vaguely unified celebration (seeing how it was semi-forced upon some of them). Stuff like that's kinda like globalisation, and I find it eating away our precious cultural differences. :P I'm not saying Christmas is bad, just that the earlier forms of celebrating the winter solstice should be relished too, at least in areas where they exist.
Captain_Wrathbow wrote:You're confusing Catholicism and Christianity
Ah, but Catholicism is a part of Christianity, so I guess a lot of people would be confusing Protestantism, Evangelism, Mormonism and many other sub-sections with Christianity as well. I see your point though, and won't push this any further to prevent the said flamewar. :)
For the dark gods!
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

I personnally believed it when I was a kid, I had a lot of imagination, and it contributed making the world a place of magic. I don't think I'm more [censored] today because of it: I eventually realised it wasn't real (although not sure how/when anymore), and as far as I remember, it wasn't a crisis or anything. I'm not sure it's such a big deal for parents to lie about that: after all, some parents tell their children that there's a guy up there on a cloud who sent us his son, born from a virgin, which I personnally think is a load of [censored]. But I'm not judging anybody, to each his own.

By the way, it might be an urban myth, but I was told/read/something that the current image of Santa was strongly shaped by Coca Cola.
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
sur.nhm

Post by sur.nhm »

Me, I never believed in Santa. I am not of Christian decent in the first place, and I'm an atheist to boot.
I did believe in the Tooth fairy until I was about 7, though.
I'm not really around any more, but you can find me in TvTropes.