The Settlers of Wesnoth; NEW: "NO DOWNLOAD NEEDED"

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dixie

The Settlers of Wesnoth; NEW: "NO DOWNLOAD NEEDED"

Post by Dixie »

Well hello there everybody, and welcome to The Settlers of Wesnoth development thread.
(Please note that this post has been edited to fit the current development status)

Although this is an original idea/creation by Dixie, it was taken over by Anonymissimus. Thanks a bunch to him!

This add-on is largely based on the board game "The Settlers of Catan" (by the way, is there copyright infringement if I name it differently but quite clearly copy the rules? Is it copyright infringement if I admit it is based on the game, in here and/or in the add-on itself?). A while back, someone suggested an add-on be made based on this game. It was a game I had been meaning to try for quite some time, so a few weeks ago, I bought it. I must admit I liked it wuite a bit, and it lended itself well to the wesnoth engine. Hence the creation of this add-on.

Current status: Uploaded a test version to the 1.9 add-on server. Development cards and trade systems are not done yet. The add-on is under heavy revision by Anonymissimus since I suddenly lacked time and it was riddled with OOSes.
Last edited by Dixie on December 22nd, 2010, 3:36 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
Kernigh

Re: The Settlers of Wesnoth for BfW 1.9.2

Post by Kernigh »

Dixie wrote:The Settlers of Wesnoth
There is already an add-on called 'The Settlers Era', so you might want to have a different name for your add-on.
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Crendgrim »

I don't really think "The Settlers of Wesnoth" and "The Settlers Era" would cause so much confusion. There are plenty of add-ons available - do you really want to take care of every two add-ons not having names that sound in any way similar?
Besides, "The Settlers of Wesnoth" is just the best and easiest to understand name for this add-on, because people who know The Settlers of Catan will be reminded of that. :hmm:

Crend
UMC Story Images — Story images for your campaign!
TheEmptyLord

Post by TheEmptyLord »

I think it's an excellent idea since SoC is one of my favorite board games. I am not sure about copywrite infringement and the line is rather odd so I would have to defer to those with more experience in that area. Just wanted to encourage you to do it! Gl
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

Sounds neat.

I saw the link in your signature, and immediately connected the name with the board game. (that's the only reason I clicked on it. :P )
Dixie wrote:it lended itself well to the wesnoth engine.
What do you mean by that- that they both use hexes? :P
I'm curious to see how you'll manage the settlements/roads along the sides of hexes, and also the resource trading. :hmm:

Unfortunately, I don't think I'd be able to help with testing, but I'll look forward to when it is released. :)
Good luck!
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Hey there everyone! Thanks for the support! I have updated the first post. I am having trouble with OOS and networking issues, and my schedule for the next few months just exploded. Sorry, but I'll have to let you all wait a bit, unless someone wants to try his hand at it. You'll get credit if you do :)
Captain_Wrathbow

I tried it, but as soon as the map appeared and I saw the awesome custom theme, a window popped up saying "C++ assertion failed" or something like that. :augh:
I clicked Ignore and Wesnoth froze for a few seconds, then crashed. :(
I'm on WinXP SP3 and BfW 1.9.2... and also, I was just testing it in a local game.

I wish I could be more helpful, but I have no idea what would cause something like that... sorry.
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

sow_lua-utils.lua line 1271: remove the image= - key in the settings table
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
TheEmptyLord

Post by TheEmptyLord »

Captain_Wrathbow wrote:I tried it, but as soon as the map appeared and I saw the awesome custom theme, a window popped up saying "C++ assertion failed" or something like that. :augh:
Don't think it has anything specifically to do with the campaign. Try restarting your PC and trying again. It's happened o me while doing campaigns, entering a busy MP lobby and such, usually when I'm running several things at once as well as a busy thing on Wesnoth. Once thintgs fully load you should be out of the danger zone. (Make sure you do restart tho, if you just try a bunch of times in a row it will continue to crash.
bigkahuna

Post by bigkahuna »

Captain_Wrathbow wrote:I tried it, but as soon as the map appeared and I saw the awesome custom theme, a window popped up saying "C++ assertion failed" or something like that.
Same. I tried your advice, Anonymissus, but line 1271 is a long comment. The settings 'image' key you were talking about looks like this:

Code: Select all

local settings = {speaker="narrator", side_for=player, image="icons/helpglobal.png", caption="Settlers of Wesnoth : Rules"}
Did
Anonymissimus wrote:sow_lua-utils.lua line 1271: remove the image= - key in the settings table
mean to remove the image key entirely? Or is there a different problem, now?
Check out my campaign Sweet Revenge!
Join the new R2D forum!
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Nah, just remove that image key, it should do it. It didn't cause problems on my system, but oh well, screw the image.
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

make it so

Code: Select all

local settings = {speaker="narrator", side_for = player, caption="Settlers of Wesnoth : Rules"}
Are you sure that image is "OK" concerning "wesnoth standards", Dixie ?
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

I dunno, I didn't exactly find the requirements, but I am gonna guess that it doesn't fit them. I'll try to fix this eventually, sorry for the trouble it may cause :hmm:
bigkahuna

Post by bigkahuna »

I removed that one image key and started the game. It initialized fine, the help screen with instructions came on, but it didn't work... The building images were gone, it was just a blank slate to the right of the screen. I couldn't move any units, build anything, press any buttons, etc. Whenever I ended my turn, it automatically built a piece of road and a settlement.
Check out my campaign Sweet Revenge!
Join the new R2D forum!
Captain_Wrathbow

I was quite surprised, but restarting my computer actually did make it work. :o