Please read: A personal appeal from shadowmaster

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Midnight_Carnival

Re: Please read: A personal appeal from shadowmaster

Post by Midnight_Carnival »

Read his appeal.

Ok, I had an idea for a forum game which I never got round to making, funny thing was it might have been ok...

It was called "Where's Konrad", inspired by those Waldo thingies. people made huge images out of Wesnoth in which you had to help Delfador find Konrad and a whole lot of other things to make a spell that teleports him out. There would be a sort of friendly competion beetween people to make the best ones, as well as if being fun to look for the aledged prince... you could make some quite funny images if you were clever.

Never really got anywhere becasue I ran out of time and upgraded to 1.8, hence I saw that many of the sprites I used were outdated.

For myself I don't have any time for forum games these days.
...apparenly we can't go with it or something.
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

I think Gambit's sugestion makes sense. And event though I don't mind one way or another: 70 pages, really? I'd have thought that something like 10-20 would have been faaar enough. But it's your call.
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

I don't care what happens to it, as far as if it gets moved, etc.

When I go to the forums, I never go to the main board. I always go to "View new posts" or "View your posts" and have those bookmarked, anyway.
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Gambit wrote:I knew it would be a good idea to get some input on this.

So some things people have mentioned so far:
1. Some people do enjoy forum games. Also "forum game" is a broad category and some may be more fun for certain individuals than others.
2. Forum games clog the search feature (I didn't think of this angle, but yes it's true. Almost all the hits for the word "lock" for example are in R2D).
3. We don't want people to register just to use forum games. However there have been legitimate uses of the off topic section by non community members in the past. Such as spreading awareness of other OSS projects.
4. Forum games are not worth keeping around.

I think the solution is pretty easy. Forum games get their own subsection. It could have a decently long autoprune so that we're only keeping the most popular 70 page games. It won't be indexed for searching, and it won't get an atom feed. Additionally maybe it should be invisible to guests and you can't post in it until you get a certain post count elsewhere. What do you guys think?
I like this solution. Disabling post count for that section, like Thrawn suggested, would also help cut down on the noise.
thespaceinvader wrote:Make it a child board of Off-Topic, so it's not too prominent on the main page.
Ditto.
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
dipseydoodle

Post by dipseydoodle »

I too find it kind of unnecessary. I myself love forum games but, If you want to make or join a forum game you should join a forum that is fitting.
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Dixie wrote:I think Gambit's sugestion makes sense. And event though I don't mind one way or another: 70 pages, really? I'd have thought that something like 10-20 would have been faaar enough. But it's your call.
That was an exaggerated joke about how massive some of these forum games get. :)
bigkahuna

Post by bigkahuna »

R2D is 75 pages atm...
Gambit wrote:Forum games get their own subsection. It could have a decently long autoprune so that we're only keeping the most popular 70 page games. It won't be indexed for searching, and it won't get an atom feed. Additionally maybe it should be invisible to guests and you can't post in it until you get a certain post count elsewhere. What do you guys think?
Perfect solution. I think that this would be the best way to cut down on the "outside influences", too.
Check out my campaign Sweet Revenge!
Join the new R2D forum!
hhyloc
Translator

Post by hhyloc »

Those forum game thread really clutter up my search result (and many reasons other people have posted here), so I agree.
Last edited by hhyloc on December 7th, 2010, 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
R.I.P
Kenpachi

Post by Kenpachi »

Gambit wrote:you can't post in it until you get a certain post count elsewhere.
I don't even know if this is possible with forum fu, but would having a "must be registered for more than XX days to post in this section" discourage people from joining, and then spamming a heap of threads to build up enough post count?
Tonepoet

Post by Tonepoet »

Wait, what? Why would somebody advertise forum games on the Wesnoth forums, when they could just as easily start their own native version of the thread in place of the advertisement? I mean I suppose I could understand that forum games might be considered spam in some places but I can think of no circumstances where the advertisement wouldn't be even worse. Were they using ours as an example or something or is it really as weird as it sounds?

Anyway I've suggested a subsection in one of the prior blog installments[/url] so I can't say I think it's not a good idea. If we actually end up going through with the idea, I think it might be best if we make it a hidden section that only logged in users had the permissions to view. My reasons are threefold:
  1. If it's a subsection, then they have to turn off the searching of all subsections in order to filter the results out of other Off Topic results. On the other hand, if it gets a dedicated section, the user can single it out of the search results completely if while looking for a specific thread, the clutter gets annoying.
  2. It wouldn't push down the vital information in Off Topic such as stickies, announcements and recently posted in threads like it would need to be if it was a child forum.
  3. Since we only want the community to participate, only the community needs to know it even exists. Something can't look fun enough to join for, if it can't be looked at by nonmembers and we'd maintain the usual outward appearance to our lurkers. Addtionally, it would also block members from directly linking to its threads elsewhere.
Yes I realize this is different from what I suggested before. That's because I've had more time and space to reflect upon and extrapolate my thoughts.
Htonsew Rof Elttab Eht is just too cool for school. I've got no words to describe it. Have any of you guys tried it? ;-)
JackBarber

Post by JackBarber »

I really think that the forum games getting their own section would be the best idea, though that's MOSTLY what the off-topic topic is, Forum Games.
If it's cluttering up the search function I think you need a better reason, you can easily just block results from certain areas.
"Do YOU know the muffin man?"
."Don't wake me if I'm dreaming."
.."Even words can drive a man to madness."
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

JackBarber wrote: that's MOSTLY what the off-topic topic is, Forum Games.
I beg to differ. The OT has been a very active section before those Games started, and it will still be active even with the Games moved elsewhere.

Greetz
HomerJ
Six years without a signature!
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

JackBarber wrote:I really think that the forum games getting their own section would be the best idea, though that's MOSTLY what the off-topic topic is, Forum Games.
If it's cluttering up the search function I think you need a better reason, you can easily just block results from certain areas.
Just because you think something, does not make it so. This is a lesson you could stand to learn throughout this forum, it would make you less annoying. Seriously.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

bigkahuna wrote:R2D is 75 pages atm...
Gambit wrote:Forum games get their own subsection. It could have a decently long autoprune so that we're only keeping the most popular 70 page games. It won't be indexed for searching, and it won't get an atom feed. Additionally maybe it should be invisible to guests and you can't post in it until you get a certain post count elsewhere. What do you guys think?
Well, I may be mistaken, but I thought Gambit said "70 pages worth of forum game threads", rather than "cap individual forum game threads at 70 pages". But I may be mistaken. I don't play them much, anyway, so, well...
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

And this is why hyphenation is important. :oops: :lol2:
70-page-games. Now, can we move on? :)