The south guard - 2 questions

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Fundin

The south guard - 2 questions

Post by Fundin »

I've come back to Wesnoth after a 5 year break (RL) and it now has me addicted on my iPhone, anyway, 2 questions.

1) I got scenario Into the Depths - but for the life of me can't do it in time, I get stuck as the first room with endless stuff coming and can only defend and kill for about 8 turns before I can force my way though. Any tips on this one?

2) Due to point 1 I've gone back to the start of the south guard and am levelin up people a bit more, that's fine. I noticed I misse the mermen though, will Need then, do they reappear? I can't really remember where I found them but only remembered now I'm on scenario 4 and I can't recurit any.

TY for any help.
silent

Re: The south guard - 2 questions

Post by silent »

Hmm to answer your questions.

1. If I remember correctly, you have one scenario where you can recruit elves before going into the depths. A really good strategy here is to level 2 QUICK shamans into sorcereress' before proceeding, so they can move somewhat in the cave, while using their arcane attacks to go through most undead. Having a few royal guards as damage soakers would not go astray here either, as the Undead will hit heavily. Initially, when you see the eyestalk, have minister hylas, who should be a mage of light by now, stand next to hit and hit it with his morningstar for damage, as the eyestalk does very little damage to hylas, who will counterattack very harshly. Have a healer (the loyal druid) right behind hylas here, so as to heal while this happens.

2. The 2 loyal mermen are found in the water village in scenario 1, near the outpost. I don't know how much this may matter, but the hunter, when leveled to a netcaster is quite valuable, and can block up the water passage to prevent you being bombarded by ghosts in the rear of your cave party in "into the depths", especially with slow, and perhaps a shaman to offer healing while doing so.
Fundin

Post by Fundin »

So if I missed this water village will i stll be able to comlete the scenarios as I can longer recuit mermen? Wonderig if I need to go back to the start again!
Sebi

Post by Sebi »

Fundin wrote:So if I missed this water village will i stll be able to comlete the scenarios as I can longer recuit mermen? Wonderig if I need to go back to the start again!
Same problem here, and no, one can't recrute mermen, if you did not get the merguy in C1.
No, I don't wanna play again, I lost for the umptieth time. - Five minutes later - Oh, I'm gonna try once again, only once.
shadowblack

Post by shadowblack »

You can complete the campaign without the mermen, even on Hard - I know from personal experience (the first time I played this campaign I didn't even know about the mermen, so I never got them; I still managed to finish it on Hard, though barely).
You are a Dark Adept: You immerse yourself in the dark arts... potentially with great rewards...
Sebi

Post by Sebi »

shadowblack wrote:You can complete the campaign without the mermen, even on Hard - I know from personal experience (the first time I played this campaign I didn't even know about the mermen, so I never got them; I still managed to finish it on Hard, though barely).
All right, now I know I can do without them, but I don't really want to and I don't think it hurts to play again. But strategic advice for "Into the depths" is always appreciated. I already know about the general walkthrough, but I will start the campaign once more before anything else.

One OT-question: Are the I-Phone / IPad-saves compatible with the mac / win saves-format?
Greetz
Sebi
No, I don't wanna play again, I lost for the umptieth time. - Five minutes later - Oh, I'm gonna try once again, only once.
Kymille

Post by Kymille »

Sebi wrote: One OT-question: Are the I-Phone / IPad-saves compatible with the mac / win saves-format?
Greetz
Sebi
Because no one else answered, I'll say that I think they are [based on reading the forums, not personal experience], but keep in mind that the iPhone/iPad version is based on version 1.6 so they are not 1.8 compatible.