Killsteal (well... =)

Discussion among members of the development team.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Haard

Killsteal (well... =)

Post by Haard »

I think it's kinda weird that you get extra experience for the killing blow. Now, maybe it's just me, but it remids me of the bad old times playing role-playing games and stealing kills by accident or design.

As it is now, I always let my mages have the killing blow if possible, thus upgrading them with little or no danger while my poor fighters soak and deal damage for almost no xp at all.

I think experience points should be awarded for damage dealt, not kills.
Thus, the fighters in the trenches would get experienced, and the mage behind the lines would stay green unless he gets out there and fights.

Of course, use of special abilities may warrant xp, for example a white mage healing units may gain some experience. Experience levels might have to be adjusted as not to unbalance this, but I think the idea is sound.
B0rsuk

Post by B0rsuk »

Yes, almost exactly my thoughts ! Good idea !

I think too much exp is earned for killing, and not enough for dealing and receiving damage.

White mage should also gain some exp for healing, but not much. Undead units don't grow on trees.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

I tried the concept of having more experience for damage, and less for killing units in an earlier version of the game, however I don't think it worked well. Positioning units so that a certain one gets the kill is part of the strategy.

It would be simple enough for anyone with basic C++ skills to modify the source to change the experience awarded though, to try it out. I could even provide a sample version if there's enough interest...

David
miyo

Post by miyo »

If experience method is to be changed... I think gaining experience should be based on succesfull hits instead of inflicted damage.

If we would have active defenses (eg. dodging and blocking strikes) then we could aware experience based on succesfull defensing.

Of course little experience should be gained from being in fight... you always learn at least a bit.

- Miyo